Chefelf.com Night Life: Reasons to Hate Star Wars - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (17 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Reasons to Hate Star Wars About my articles.

#76 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 February 2005 - 07:28 PM

Hey, it's OK, I've sent lots of emails and never got replies for them, it's no big deal. smile.gif

#77 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 12 February 2005 - 09:12 PM

What amazes me is that Chef only posted a few reasons, there's more like 300-700 for each film.
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#78 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2005 - 10:23 PM

Reason#687,265: Why does Zam Wissel(Female Bounty hunter) aim and then shoot(aim and then shoot) (aim for an eon AT the probe droid) aim and then shoot the probe droid that Obiwan is clinging to rather than just AIM and THEN shoot him in the head?

This post has been edited by Hannibal: 12 February 2005 - 10:27 PM

"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#79 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 13 February 2005 - 12:43 AM

QUOTE (Paladin @ Feb 12 2005, 07:28 PM)
Hey, it's OK, I've sent lots of emails and never got replies for them, it's no big deal. smile.gif

To me? Perhaps there is some sort of problem. Honestly, I must respond to 99% of the email I get. I apologize if you've felt snubbed. PM me or email me and I promise I will respond, provided the message gets to me. smile.gif

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Feb 12 2005, 10:23 PM)
Reason#687,265: Why does Zam Wissel(Female Bounty hunter) aim and then shoot(aim and then shoot) (aim for an eon AT the probe droid) aim and then shoot the probe droid that Obiwan is clinging to rather than just AIM and THEN shoot him in the head?

For the same reason she decided to cut a hole in the window and drop poisoned worms into the room rather than cutting a hole and shooting Amidala... BECAUSE SHE'S THE WORST BOUNTY HUNTER IN THE GALAXY!!
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#80 User is offline   nerfherder69 Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 14 February 2005 - 01:59 AM

Another Reason to hate Episode II:

#69. Since when are Jedi's "Not Allowed to Love"?

This is another contrived Lucas addition that he made up to try to create more drama. This was such BS. Suddenly Jedi are like Priests and not allowed to love.

Of course Lucas ruined all spirituality of the Force in Episode I by making the Force some sort of quantifiable organism in your bloodstream, but when he is looking to add some sort of contrived conflict to Anakin's love for Padme suddenly there are Priest-like rules around the Jedi's not being allowed to love.

I can't wait for the sex-scandal to come out that implicates Yoda molesting his young Padawans.

#69.1 Could Lucas be any more unoriginal with the goddam Death Star? Does the Death Star have to be in EVERY movie? I thought it was unoriginal when Return of the Jedi brought out the Death Star again. It was such a half assed, repititious, unoriginal way to end a great saga that it was sickening. Now we see more goddam Death Star crap in Episode II. Look for more Death Star related fun in Episode III.

#81 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:34 AM

Well put, nerfherder69. The whole "Jedis aren't allowed to love" thing was really dumb because up until AOTC no one ever spoke of it. Then all of a sudden this "Forbidden Love" trailer came out and announced, "Jedi aren't allowed to love."

I don't speak for everyone but I was sorta like, "Uh, they aren't? Huh. Why did they wait until the fifth movie to let us know this?"

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#82 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:53 AM

I'm in two minds about the whole 'no love' thing. One the one hand I hate the way Lucas just pulls these things out of thin air, and I agree that it poses some logistical problems. On the other hand, KOTOR (unlike the movies) actually provides an explanation for why Jedi are forbidden to fall in love, and it makes so much sense that I actually find it hard to see how the Jedi could avoid having a rule like this. I'm not going to go into it here, but there is a good case for it.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#83 User is offline   jedimaster Icon

• New Cop

Posted 15 February 2005 - 02:03 PM

Hi all- first post. someone on another forum linked me to the list of reasons. All I can say is they are brilliant- funny stuff! This place looks like a good place to hang-can't wait to have more time to check out all the different sections!

#84 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:17 AM

Thanks for the kind words, jedimaster. Welcome to the forums. smile.gif

#85 User is offline   DBrennan3333 Icon

• New Cop
  • Interests:Aside from finding myself pathetically addicted to ChefElf's writings, I'm big on:<br /><br />-Star Wars<br />-Futurism<br />-Studying Systems<br />-The Matrix <br />-PS2<br /><br />But that's kind of forcing myself to be specific about things that are ever-changing and actually really broad in the first place. <br /><br />Really I get interested in lots of things.

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:25 AM

Helena,

This might not be the best thread for discussing it, but can you quickly tell us PS2 users what explanations KOTOR gives for forbidding love for Jedi's? Your conviction made it sound kind of intriguing!

#86 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE (DBrennan3333 @ Feb 16 2005, 03:25 PM)
Helena,

This might not be the best thread for discussing it, but can you quickly tell us PS2 users what explanations KOTOR gives for forbidding love for Jedi's?  Your conviction made it sound kind of intriguing!

Aiiiii... alright, I'll have a go:

Firstly, love makes people act selfishly and irrationally. The Jedi are generally expected to sacrifice their own desires for the greater good where this is necessary, but being in love with someone can make this extremely difficult. For example, one of the characters you meet during the game is a former Jedi who left the Order due to a love affair that went badly wrong. He married a woman and trained her as a Jedi without the Council's knowledge; she later went over to the Dark Side during a war against the Sith, and they ended up fighting on opposite sides. He had the chance to kill her at one point, but because he still loved her he couldn't bring himself to do it; she went on to kill many of his fellow Jedi, and he never forgave himself for failing to stop her.

Secondly, love is an immensely powerful emotion, and this makes it dangerous to Jedi - not just in itself (see above), but also because it can lead to enormous rage, fear, jealousy and hatred. Jedi must control such emotions at all cost, because they can easily tempt them to misuse the Force, leading to the Dark Side. Think how love can drive even normal people to commit all kinds of crimes - now imagine how much more dangerous it must be for a Jedi...

Of course, love can have many positive effects (and to be fair, the game does show that as well). But overall, you can see why the Jedi don't generally consider it worth the risk. Furthermore, I actually like the idea that the gift of the Force comes at a cost, and that becoming a Jedi involves a certain amount of personal sacrifice. As far as I'm concerned, that's far more interesting than if the Jedi were just a bunch of normal people who are lucky enough to have super powers.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#87 User is offline   use the force Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:08 PM

Well put Helena. BRavo Bravo thumbsup.gif

I guess you can the reason Anakin falls is mostly for love of padme now that I look at it.

#88 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:20 PM

I'm going to add another why I hate AOTC point. May be a nitpick, and should be in a broader category of "atmosphere" or "set design."

One of the details I dislike about AOTC is the freighter in which Padme and Anakin take to get back to Naboo. Look at it, it's clean, it actually has a color scheme and design which I simply call the "Star Trek Palette." I could easily see this set (digitized or not) on an episode of Star Trek.

Now compare this to the interior of the Jawa Sandcrawler. Is there any place in TPM or AOTC that resembles the interior of that Sandcrawler, that has that "lived in" feeling? Nowhere!! Everything is too clean, too shiny and new. It's as if the entire Star Wars universe was created a day before Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan flew to Naboo.

ROTJ had this same problem, too, and pointed out in the Dana Gould article of "50 Reasons Why Jedi Sucks."

So, the suckage continued.
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#89 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 18 February 2005 - 12:56 AM

Now why would we want to pay to see something created at great cost which wasn't pristine clean?

:angry: an insult. What would incline a state-of-the-art designer to present such a sterile environment as his best shot as "real?"

then again the sonic charge was "gritty." Fair enough. (sigh)

#90 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:36 PM

I never really found the 'sonic' charge to be all that gritty, either. It just has never seemed like a Star Wars-like weapon, but then again, if it had been a better script, better characters, better suited to the old series, I could have accepted it. It's just not a weapon we've seen before. And, I guess that's one of my minor gripes about the OT. Where are the Photon Torpedoes in ESB or ROTJ? They would've been handy against those SuperStarDestroyers.... anyway, that's another topic.
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

• (17 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked