Chefelf.com Night Life: Reasons to Hate Star Wars - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (17 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Reasons to Hate Star Wars About my articles.

#16 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 14 February 2004 - 09:49 AM

Here's another reason:

Amidala's apparent lack of concern for Anakin.
After Anakin saves Amidala's life he takes off for outerspace. Does Amidala say, "Oh no! Annie! He'll be killed!"? NO! She just stoically looks to her men and says, "Let's go." or some other such tripe. Not even a look of concern on her face. Not one worried glance. Man, is this bitch cold. So much for "my caring for you will never end..." or some other such tripe.

More evidence of Lucas' bad character development.
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#17 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2004 - 10:28 AM

(I certainly hope we'll see webfoot binks slapping his hands together in the throne room scene!)  wink.gif

All I want is to see Jar Jar Binks die. Preferable a horrible and bloody death, like being thrown from a speeder at the highest point in Courscant or having his head chopped off by Anakin.

It's not surprising she did that. Did you remember the scene when Yoda says how glad he is that she survived the attempted assassination? She didn't even smile at him, she just glanced at him and then started talking like nothing ever happened.

Honestly, people like that get on my nerves. You try to apologize or show your concern, only to be ignored like a statue.

#18 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 14 February 2004 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (Paladin @ Feb 14 2004, 10:28 AM)
All I want is to see Jar Jar Binks die. Preferable a horrible and bloody death, like being thrown from a speeder at the highest point in Courscant or having his head chopped off by Anakin.

True, but these are children's movies. What's the Preferred demographic anyway? 5 years old? If binks was to die, it would probably be a "died in his sleep" kind of thing.

#19 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 14 February 2004 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Feb 14 2004, 11:10 AM)
True, but these are children's movies. What's the Preferred demographic anyway? 5 years old?

Lucas is on record saying that he thought the still-beating heart ripped out of the man's chest in TEMPLE OF DOOM was appropriate, given that it had been his and Spielberg's intention to make a film that was "darker" than the previous one.

Lucas is saying right now that he intended for children to watch Ep I and II. But I won't be surprised when, after Ep III, should there be bloody mayhem in it, if he brings back the Joseph Campbell thing and says, "Hey, these movies weren't made for children," or "These are the basic myths, and when you read them, you see that our myths are very violent." Or some other bullshit.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#20 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 16 February 2004 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (CowboyCurtis @ Feb 14 2004, 09:49 AM)
After Anakin saves Amidala's life he takes off for outerspace. Does Amidala say, "Oh no! Annie! He'll be killed!"? NO! She just stoically looks to her men and says, "Let's go." or some other such tripe. Not even a look of concern on her face. Not one worried glance. Man, is this bitch cold. So much for "my caring for you will never end..." or some other such tripe.

More evidence of Lucas' bad character development.

that and the fact that you've got an actress looking at a blue screen. her face read like: hmmmm.... a blue screen.

but in her defense she just woke up. tongue.gif i'm pretty indifferent to attempts on my life first thing in the morning. tongue.gif

#21 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 16 February 2004 - 11:51 PM

It's not surprising she did that. Did you remember the scene when Yoda says how glad he is that she survived the attempted assassination? She didn't even smile at him, she just glanced at him and then started talking like nothing ever happened.

I know! I do know that is an editing problem, and that there is additional footage of her saying 'thank you,' but still, it's what we saw on the screen.

This is exactly the major criticism of the PTs. The characters never had opportunites to gel, to interact, to discover what the other's personality is, and how they would work or not work together. I think one of the biggest mistakes is too many extra characters.

Take for example in TPM with the scene where they're deciding to go to Tatooine. Imagine that Panaka has agreed to stay on Naboo to lead the resistance against the Trade Federation. Here is the dialogue given to Amidala (still pretending to be a handmaiden, Padme).

(Oh, yeah, I made Obi-Wan the older Jedi, and now Qui-Gon's his padawaan... It's from my personal version of Episode I).

INT. NABOO SPACECRAFT - COCKPIT

RIC OLIE : Power's back! That little droid did it. He bypassed the main
power drive. Deflector shield up, at maximum.

The lone BLUE DROID finishes his repairs and goes back into the ship. The
Naboo spacecraft races away from the Federation battleship.

RIC OLIE : There's not enough power to get us to Coruscant...the hyperdrive
is leaking.

OBI-WAN: We'll have to land somewhere to refuel and repair the ship.

QUI-GON studies a star chart on a monitor.

QUI-GON : Here, Master. Tatooine... It's small, out of the way, poor... The
Trade Federation has no presence there.
PADME : How can you be sure?
OBI-WAN : It's controlled by the Hutts...
PADME : The Hutts??
OBI-WAN : It's risky...but there's no alternative.
PADME : You can't take Her Royal Highness there! The Hutts are
gangsters... If they discovered her...
OBI-WAN: ...It would be no different than if we landed on a system
controlled by the Federation...except the Hutts aren't looking for her,
which gives us an advantage.

It would've worked, wouldn't have it!?
Flying Ferret

#22 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2004 - 05:14 AM

It would've worked, wouldn't have it!?

It would have sounded better, that's for sure.

#23 Guest_John A.C.H._*

• Group: Guests

Posted 25 February 2004 - 03:26 AM

Okay, I have another reason to hate Episode II. Its been going around in my head for a while so here goes:

Count Dooku's ship

Towards the end for Attack of the Clones, Count Dooku makes an escape for Coruscant. Out of his craft pops these solar sails which are supposed to ride the sun's currents and give acceleration. Problem is, Count Dooku's craft presumably already has a self-propelled, LIGHT-SPEED engine. So why are they necessary? Unless Dooku wants to spend a few million years cruising the cosmos he wouldn't need them. And to add even more insult to commen sense, the next scene shows Dooku's space craft reaching Coruscant, and in an effort to slow it down opens the sails FROM THE FRONT. laugh.gif Now, if you've ever watched a shuttle landing, the space plane always opens the chute FROM THE BACK, not from the front. Nevermind that there is no air in space in the first place, and even if the sails opened from the back [which they should have] it would take hundreds of thousands of kilometers for enough solar particles to slow the spacecraft down.

#24 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2004 - 02:14 PM

Yeah, the Dookie spaceship always bothered me, too. Even though it looks "cool" the technology just seems to be beneath Star Wars technology. I would've excused it if it was a joy-riding vehicle; say for example that Anakin uses one to take Padme out "solar-sailing" around the planet, but would've completely slowed things down, plot-wise (at least it would've been better than 'shaak-riding').

Once again, a good idea gone wrong.
Flying Ferret

#25 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 25 February 2004 - 08:59 PM

Oh my GOD!

I'd never heard THAT one!

STAR WARS is definitely not science fiction, but that takes the cake. I hereby officially renew my objection to blasters in the prequels. After all, we're using sail-driven spacecraft; why not have an all-swordplay past?
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#26 Guest_jediteacher216_*

Posted 25 February 2004 - 09:59 PM

New Reason to hate SW: AotC

Zam the Lousy Assassin

Obi-Wan crashes through the windows of Padme's
apartment to catch the assassin droid that attempted
to kill her. Actually, I thought that was kind of
cool. **I** became embarrassed when Zam is standing on
her rooftop and she sees Obi-Wan hanging onto the
assassin droid, coming right at her. Zam grabs her
very accurate, state-of-the-art sniper rifle with
computerized scope and shoots... THE DROID! Obi-Wan is
unarmed, hanging onto the speeding assassin droid for
dear life. If Zam fired at Obi-Wan, I surmise that he
would be unable to reach for his lightsaber and
deflect the shot without losing his grip and falling
to his death. Why did she shoot her very expensive
droid when she could have killed Obi-Wan with the same
effort? I thought assassins were supposed to kill
people. :yuck:

- Jediteacher216

#27 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2004 - 01:59 AM

Zam the Lousy Assassin

True, very true, even the Star Wars database says she aimed for the droid and not Obi-Wan. This bothered me as much it bothered you, I can't believe anyone would be so stupid.

But then again, George Lucas wrote it...

#28 User is offline   Doctor X Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 01 April 2004 - 11:27 PM

Huzzah! Thanks, Chefelf! A place to post my counterpoints at last! I shall begin this very eve!

#29 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2004 - 11:34 PM

Zam is a miserable assassin. She's a shapechanger, and she doesn't even use it to her advantage. She could've dumped her assassin gear, shape-changed into a patron at the bar and walked out without the Jedi even knowing.

Another complaint: I have complained on other boards about Jango hiring Zam to do the dirty work, rather doing it himself, and the response I get most of the time is, "He doesn't do assassinations, it's not his 'thing.'" Well, what's the first thing Jango do when Zam fails him....

...he assassinates her. So much for that argument. He might as well have done the assassination attempt on Amidala himself...

I always wondered if Zam could've been used more effectively in the film, and her shape-changing ability as well.

First, I would've had Jango attempt to kill Amidala--with the saber-dart, by the way--the speeder chase would've happened sooner in the film.

Second, I would've had the second attempt on Amidala's life happen later in the film... on Naboo, where she thinks she's safe. Zam would shapechange into a maid or something working at the vacation place, and then slip the worm-things into Padme's room. Anakin still saves her, but before he can get info out of Zam, Zam takes a poison to kill herself.

Just some thoughts for my re-writes....
Flying Ferret

#30 Guest_Peyton_*

Posted 30 June 2004 - 08:49 PM

One of the many gripes I have about Ep II is Count Dooku. Specifically, his abilities. After he lands his ship and begins talking with his master, he is told, "You have done well." What? He only slightly injured Obi-won, yes he cut off Anakin's arm but in the SW Universe things like that seem to be very easily fixed. He failed to defeat Yoda and ended up having to run away, all while never even killing Padme as he was apparently trying to do in the arena. Also, that brings me to another complaint: why didn't he cut off one or more of Obi-won's limbs? I know it might sound strange, but it really doesn't make much sense. He only hurts both his arm and leg with his lightsaber, while chosing to cut off Anakin's arm. Why? Is it because he thought Anakin would keep fighting, whereas Obi-won would fall to the ground in pain?

• (17 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked