• +

5DaS: The HL2 mod Someone want to make a 5DaS HL2 mod

#31 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:29 PM

By the way, Dan, Fornax, has any of you checked out Penumbra in the meantime?

#32 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (CJ Marren @ Jan 22 2007, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well now the Y-man is involved, thing's are looking pretty sweet.

But since he was involved in the first place, nothings actually changed apart from.. oh sod it, never mind.

Only drooling I did when I was a fanboy was caused by alcohol, grumble grumble.
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#33 User is offline   CJ Marren Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Wrestling, games, books, music, working out,

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:39 PM

Well, since nobody knew whether it was supported by Yahtzee or not, no-one on here could be sure what the quality would be like.

Since he conformed his position in the project, we at least know that it'll be a labour of love. (well, hopefully!)
<!--quoteo(post=174818:date=Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM:name=Cobnat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cobnat @ Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=174818"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Lets all have sex with robots until our groins are sore and bloody!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=169306:date=Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=169306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#483D8B--><span style="color:#483D8B"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->So why the unholy flying purple donkeypunching fuck will it not work on yours? Just what kind of machine are you running there? Your toaster?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And the man again!
<!--quoteo(post=180859:date=Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=180859"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In my opinion it's saying, fuck the lightsabers and special effects and fuck your voiceovers and fuck your stupid multimilliondollar game studios; you don't need any of those to make brilliant and scary games that will fuck with your head.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<u><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->My Getting Huge Progress (Gym and weight gain diet)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></u>
<b>May '07:</b> 11st (154lbs)
<b>August '07:</b> 12st 7lbs (175lbs)
<b>November '07:</b> 12st 9lbs (177lbs)
<b>December '07:</b> 12st 11lbs (179lbs)
<b>January '08:</b> 12st 12lbs (180lbs)
<b>Febuary '08:</b> 13st 2lbs (184lbs)
<b>March '08:</b> 13st 7lbs (189lbs)

#34 User is offline   fornax Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (David-kyo @ Jan 22 2007, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
By the way, Dan, Fornax, has any of you checked out Penumbra in the meantime?

Yeah, it looks fantastic. And the demo is completely unplayable on my old NVidia G4MX laptop. Oh, verily I need me some pixel shaders. sad.gif

#35 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:29 AM

Because it is indeed purely an adventure game, even though it's played in 1st person. It is possible to make a 1st person game without actually giving the player the hardware to blow everything and everyone into oblivion in spectacular ways.

#36 User is offline   Kenny28 Icon

• New Cop

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:41 AM

QUOTE (David-kyo @ Jan 23 2007, 05:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because it is indeed purely an adventure game, even though it's played in 1st person. It is possible to make a 1st person game without actually giving the player the hardware to blow everything and everyone into oblivion in spectacular ways.

I've played plenty of 3D games with point-and-click-esque puzzles (mostly of the survival horror variety, but I digress), but you guys would know your PC gaming better than I would, I'm sure....

please don't kill the n00b.....

#37 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:12 AM

Well, I haven't, so this was somewhat of a novelty for me. The only 3d 1st person game I've ever played that was close to be called an adventure game, was Deus Ex (the first one).

EDIT: Oh yeah, and there was some game released like 10-12 years ago called Normality Inc. which was supposed to be the first 1st person Doom-like adventure, but I remember it being real crap.

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 23 January 2007 - 10:15 AM

#38 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:28 PM

It'd be interesting to see how this title ends up. I'll wait with silent anticipation. tongue.gif

It'll probably work similar to ShantyTown though, right?
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#39 User is offline   Egfu Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Everything nerdy. Excluding Star Trek and anime.

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:48 AM

I don't think this is the first time somebody's tried to make an adventure game in HL2 mod form. I hear there's this mod called Iris that plays pretty much like a point-and-click adventure. But since I'm one of those heathens who don't have HL2, I can't check it out myself.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the 5DAS mod. If Yahtzee has any power over the project, it can't go completely wrong. Should be interesting.

And yes, Penumbra = Pure awesome. Both as a game and an engine.
"When I was five, my uncle was decapitated by a watermelon."

#40 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE (earok @ Jan 22 2007, 05:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a bit OT, but I thought those chase scenes were awesome and scary as hell, I couldn't understand why some others apparently didn't like them.

Really? I thought it was pretty obvious that they were all a bunch of pussies.

QUOTE (Remnant @ Jan 22 2007, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Woohoo!

Seeing as Yahtzee has acknowledged his part in the project, I can hold up a little cut-out flag that says "I didn't bad mouth this project but rather contributed to it by offering an alternative engine to use! Wee!"

..Might need a bigger flag though.

Get me one of those too, will ya?

And my question still stands: 28? I really did forget something vital again, didn't I?

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#41 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:43 PM

Yeah, where did they pull that one out from? Perhaps they've been told something we weren't? Or they have the holy SE relic which tells the player lots of new things?

#42 User is offline   Blueskirt Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Guarding pies

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:26 PM

And my question still stands: 28? I really did forget something vital again, didn't I?

Personally I don't really care much about ages, so if it was told, I forgot about it. According to the 5DaS page, his age is unknown, but most of us probably see him as twenty something, the more mature half of the twenty something. At least that's the impression I get when I see that little pixelized character walking in the game, laws of clichés say you are twenty something until you get gray hair, start losing hair or grow a moustache, then you are fourty something.

#43 User is offline   Gekko Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:55 PM

I am involved in game making myself as my hobby and possibly job too and I must say I have expectations on that mod. If they are making a 5DAS mod for HL2 (not easy thing to do), they must really like the original game. I don't think there is a possibility that they would be making this mod without even liking the original game. 5DAS is short enough to be finished with a small mod team if they work hard. If you want to make a bet, I'll say they'll finish it before next summer.

#44 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:It depends on my current psychosis.

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (Gekko @ Jun 19 2007, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am involved in game making myself as my hobby and possibly job too and I must say I have expectations on that mod.

Welcome, then. Exactly which game engine/game making program do you use?

#45 User is offline   Gekko Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE (Nostaw @ Jun 21 2007, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome, then. Exactly which game engine/game making program do you use?

I have done some 3D model freelacing. A while ago we formed a team with a couple guys and are developing a mmorpg using Torque Game Engine Advanced. Of course, I have used a lot of easy-to-use programs before (such as game maker).

Are many of FullyRamblomatic.com users game developers?

EDIT: Oh, programs, sorry. I use mainly Blender on 3D models and Paint Shop Pro 8 on textures. It's cheap and still efficent.

This post has been edited by Gekko: 21 June 2007 - 04:44 PM

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size