Chefelf.com Night Life: classic video game compilation discs - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

classic video game compilation discs whats your current favorite

#1 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:55 PM

Classic video game compilation discs are among my favorites. Here, for a small fee (usually $19.99), I get to play many old school classics.

I own many of such compilations:

Midway Arcade Treasures (1, 2, & 3)
Capcom Classics
Tecmo Arcade Classics
Sega Genesis Classics
Activision Classics
Taito Arcade Classics
Namco Museum
Konami Arcade Classics

Of these, I tend to favor the Midway releases and the Sega Genesis the most.

With the current popularity of such compilations, I expect more to be released in the future.

Personally, I would love to see such releases from Nintendo, Data East (although now defunct), and Square-Enix.

some will say that Square-Enix has released compilations before, such as "FF Origins, Chronicles, Anthology",.but Im referring to gaming discs that have more games on them., like 10 or more games, etc.
QUOTE (njamilla @ Feb 23 2008, 08:16 AM)
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

QUOTE (chefelf @ Feb 23 2008, 10:30 AM)
That's what I'm here for.

#2 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:19 PM

As for Nintendo, I doubt they'll allow compilation disks on other systems. You're Square-Enix idea is great. I loved the Bushido Blade games. The only thing that came out kind of like those was "Kengo: Masters of Bushido" and that was only for the PS2. Way of the Samurai 1 & 2 were pretty cool too, but I forgot who did the first one and I know Capcom did the second one.

#3 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 13 January 2007 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (Vesuvius @ Jan 12 2007, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for Nintendo, I doubt they'll allow compilation disks on other systems.

Even if Nintendo did compilations for their own system, it would be great. To date, and as far as I know, Nintendo has only produced cartridge-based compilations with a few games on them. Super Mario All-Stars, and the Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt/World Track Meet come to mind. I dont think Nintendo has ever released any compilation disc with about 10 or more games though.

But I agree with you, If Nintendo ever did release such a compilation, it would be solely for their own system and not other consoles. I havent really had the time to read up on how the Wii's virtual console works, but from what I briefly understand, it appears that the system will allow players to revisit old classics via either a website Nintendo has established and/or download game content to the system for play. Although this is a great idea, it seems that once Nintendo drops support for the Wii', the "virtual console" will become a thing of the past, much in the same manner of Sega's support for the Dreamcast's Seganet. If Im wrong about anything, please feel free to correct me.

I would like to see Nintendo release a compilation disc for the Wii filled with NES classic titles. Such a disc would include titles like: Zelda, Zelda II, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Star Tropics, Rad Racer, Super Mario 1, 2, 3.
QUOTE (njamilla @ Feb 23 2008, 08:16 AM)
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

QUOTE (chefelf @ Feb 23 2008, 10:30 AM)
That's what I'm here for.

#4 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:59 PM

*fires up NEStopia*

I don't think "virtual consoles" are going anywhere. And I own most of those titles for my NES. Both Star Tropics games are amazing. I thought the Wii virtual console (emulator that takes up about 100k on their system) sounded cool, but I'm not going to re-buy my old games, and besides, there's just something thereputic about blowing into your cartridges and wiggling them around in your system to get them to work.

I have the Sonic Mega Collection for my Cube. It is tres sweet.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#5 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:38 AM

As fun as wiggling the carterige around to get it to work is, it's always sad if it doesn't work. I can only get my Sega Master System 2 to play the Alex Kidd in Miracle World built into the harddrive.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#6 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:11 AM

It would certainly be unlikely that Nintendo would release any for the Wii since they have virtual console. I really like the ability to buy whatever games I want. The problem with compilations is there are a few games you want but most of it is just filler.

I bought Super Mario 64 for the Wii Virtual Console last week and it's amazing. A little weird getting used to the classic controller but that game is a great title since it doesn't work so well the times I've tried it in various N64 emulators.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#7 User is offline   princesskadee Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:11 PM

i found this link to be useful, it gives a listing of pretty much every compilation ever released.

http://en.wikipedia....me_compilations
Peter Brady was by far the ugliest Brady kid on the "Brady Bunch". I mean, they were all pretty ugly, and the fact that the Brady dad wanted to always take the boys out on overnight camping trips just a tad bit too often, gave me the creeps.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size