Domino (it sucks)

#1 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:26 AM

Hey folks.

I just watched DOMINO starring Keira Knightley and Mickey Rourke. I now ammend any comments I may have made previously about Michael Bay being the worst director in America. That title is easily held by Tony Scott. I know, you're all going to say "But I liked TRUE ROMANCE." Yes. that's what blinded me as well for so long. But remembering that it was Scott's decision not to kill Clarence and also to add the line about how Alabama had only been a call girl for a few days and Clarence was her third (or second? customer), I have to note that anything that was good about that show was in the writing, not the directing. Consider:

Emma's War (2007) (in production)
The Warriors (2008) (announced)
Deja Vu (2006)
Domino (2005)
Agent Orange (2004)
Man on Fire (2004)
Beat the Devil (2002)
... aka The Hire: Beat the Devil (USA: series title)
Spy Game (2001)
"The Hunger" (2 episodes, 1997-1999)
- Sanctuary (1999) TV Episode
- The Swords (1997) TV Episode
Ladies & Gentlemen: The Best of George Michael (1999) (V) (video "One More Try")
Enemy of the State (1998)
The Fan (1996)
Crimson Tide (1995)
True Romance (1993)
... aka Breakaway (Philippines: English title)
The Last Boy Scout (1991)
Days of Thunder (1990)
Revenge (1990/I)
Beverly Hills Cop II (1987)
Top Gun (1986)

There is some real shit there, beginning with (shudder) TOP GUN and culminating, I think, in the planned remake of THE WARRIORS. Hell, for CRIMSON TIDE and ENEMY OF THE STATE alone (the latter stole the Mexican standoff from TRUE ROMANCE, and made it dumber), he should be forced to make infomercials for sunglasses or something. While I'm at it, I'd like to point out that THE DUELLISTS and BLADE RUNNER were great, but apart from those, I'm also not too impressed with the choices made by the more talented brother Ridley Scott.

Anyway, DOMINO is like, not at all about the real Domino Harvey, but it is about sick children, relief efforts in Afghanistan, strip joints and mobsters shooting one another. In other words it's a lame American action film, with the "twist" that the main character is a sexy little girl instead of a big thug. Yawn. So yeah, that means endless slo-mo shots of the girl as a child flipping a coin and deciding the direction her life will take, literal references to 90210 prettyboys, some father issues, and a decision to be a hardass after, no joke, her goldfish dies when she's 9. Holy fuck, this is one bad show.

Don't watch it.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#2 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Oh you know the usual....
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:01 PM

What do mean Top Gun is shit!!!
I love that, well, parts of that movie.

It makes me feel rather proud of
my surround sound speakers.

And i liked Enemy of the State
I thought it was a pretty good game of....,

cat and mouse or whatever
Thats when i started to take Will Smith seriously.

That aside i did think
that Domino looked a little ....Bad

So on that alone
i will trust your review

Duct tape is like the force....

There's a lightside, a darkside

and it holds everything together

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#3 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE (TruJade @ Jan 8 2007, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do mean Top Gun is shit!!!
I love that, well, parts of that movie.

It makes me feel rather proud of
my surround sound speakers.

And i liked Enemy of the State
I thought it was a pretty good game of....,

cat and mouse or whatever
Thats when i started to take Will Smith seriously.

Yeah the best thing about TOP GUN is the sound mixing. The story is ludicrous, and that's what I watch movies for, more or less. Good sound you can get elsewhere. For instance, try the first 20 minutes or so of SAVING PRIVATE RYAN.

ENEMY OF THE STATE is just idiotic, a load of explosions and car chases with no hint of realism. A typical scene has Smith break into a hotel room and start undressing to find a wire secretly placed on him. There's a Japanese couple in there, and apparently this is one of those hotel rooms where you don't have like a bathroom or something to undress in, so he has to strip right in front of them. The lady cheers like an infant while her apparent husband stands there looking uncomfortable. These are the jokes, people! In fact, that scene was so much the height of comedy that it made it into the trailer!

Will Smith should be taken seriously for his work in SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION. Not that he's particularly good (like always, he plays Will Smith); but it's got some great dialogue.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#4 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:55 PM

What does the director do? Does he write the script?

Is this guy writing scripts and directing, or is he just directing? Because Man On Fire was pretty good for a violent action film, with heart.

Enemy of the state is a giant turd and it's hard to believe that the same guy made Man On Fire.

I thought the directors only job was to yell cut and redo. The script and filmography were up to other people. Can a director really fuck up a film even if the script is good? If he feels the acting is poor in a shot or if the lighting was bad, then he re-shoots. If all the elements are in place, as according to the story board, then he prints. And the story board is something that the camera man, director, and the script writer create.

So maybe who ever laid out the story for Domino is to blame and not really the director.

Am I close?

This post has been edited by Jordan: 09 January 2007 - 03:58 PM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#5 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:07 AM

Well, of course you're right that as Director Tony Scott did not write the script for Domino. But as Producer he hired the writers and had the final say over the direction the script would take. Tony Scott was not as well-placed to fuck up TRUE ROMANCE, for instance, since he was, as Director only, not much more than a hired hand, just like you say. However he did make some on-set changes to make the action "more fun" and without cost (by "cost" I mean the characters don't really pay for their actions; Clarence loses an eye but his father lost his life, etc). In translating a screenplay to a film, the Director and the Actors sometimes make changes they think will benefit the story; often Producers and occasionally Writers stop them, if the changes are deemed inappropriate. Tarantino had no say with TRUE ROMANCE, since he sold that script unconditionally. Scott's changes were designed to make Alabama more palatable and to remove the "downer" ending. Both of these changes would have been no trouble to sell to virtually any Producer.

Tony Scott was also Producer on MAN ON FIRE. I reserve judgement on that one as I haven't seen it, but if it's anything like DOMINO, it sucks.

#6 User is offline   johnnycancer Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Jan 9 2007, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tony Scott was also Producer on MAN ON FIRE. I reserve judgement on that one as I haven't seen it, but if it's anything like DOMINO, it sucks.

Well, I haven't seen Domino, but I did see Man on Fire, and I enjoyed that. I would venture to guess that the main difference between the two movies is that Man on Fire isn't relying on sex appeal to make up for a lack of a story. But then, I don't even know what audience Domino was aimed at. I enjoy a good action film, but Domino looked really, really lame from the get-go.

johnnycancer

#7 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:36 PM

Domino really does sound like it sucks.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#8 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 20 January 2007 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (Otal Nimrodi @ Jan 12 2007, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Domino really does sound like it sucks.

Never had any real interest in seeing Domino; it looked like crap and from what I've heard, it is crap.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#9 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:40 AM

I saw Domino some time back and I thought it was pretty alright. It was weird as all hell, but whatever. It was a good way to kill 2hrs. Keira Knightley takes her shirt off.

And Man On Fire was a good movie.

#10 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ May 20 2007, 05:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I saw Domino some time back and I thought it was pretty alright. It was weird as all hell, but whatever. It was a good way to kill 2hrs. Keira Knightley takes her shirt off.

I thought that's what "King Arthur" and "The Jacket" were for.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#11 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (Lord Aquaman @ May 21 2007, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought that's what "King Arthur" and "The Jacket" were for.

I dont think she takes her shirt of in King Arthur. I didnt see the other one so I dont know.

#12 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:59 PM

(She did in The Jacket. She surprised me with her flat chested-ness. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that, just that in the other movies I'd seen her in, they must have built her chest up, because I was expecting her to have a little more.)
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#13 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:36 AM

MAN ON FIRE and DOMINO both sucked. In later news, I also saw DEJA VU recently. It tried really hard to be cutting-edge sci-fi, with time travel and branching parallel universes, but ultimately it's a jumbled mess, its writers didn't try hard enough to make a plot that went with their story, and they apparently didn't even understand the plot they did write, and yeah, it sucked. Pretty girl though, and we get to watch her walk around in her bra, which is predictable.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size