Chefelf.com Night Life: Samuel L. "Motherf@#!ing" Jackson - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Samuel L. "Motherf@#!ing" Jackson Wednesday, November 29, 2006

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:12 PM

Something that has been annoying me for a while now has been Samuel L. Jackson. Well, let me expand on that. I have nothing against the actor. In fact, for the most part, I enjoy his work. Most noteworthy may be his role as Russell Franklin in Deep Blue Sea, a movie where sharks become so intelligent that they are able to leap out of the water an consume Samuel L. Jackson (Spoiler alert!).

No, it's not the man I am annoyed with, it's pretty much everyone else on planet Earth. You see there is a large amount of "humor" that people who think they're funny like to rehash. Among the most popular of these clichés is inserting the word "mother f@#!ing" into any reference of Samuel L. Jackson.

I'm not sure exactly when this started though it's quite obvious that it started because of his role as Jules Winnfield in 1994's Pulp Fiction. In 1994 this made Samuel L. a household name and, since it was his first really major role he became known as that guy from Pulp Fiction who said "motherf@3!ker" a lot.

It first came to my attention that this was getting out of control in 1999 shortly before the release of Star Wars: Episode I when people were making all sorts of reference to his character, Mace Windu, saying "motherf@#!er" a lot and thinking that they were exceptionally clever to be doing so. The hilarity behind this was in putting dirty words from an R rated movie into a PG rated movie. Remember the internet back in 1999? You couldn't go to a website that didn't have a hilarious cartoon of Samuel L. Jackson, Yoda and the word "motherf@#!er" in some combination.

This all came to a head with the release of the movie Snakes on a Plane earlier this year. Snakes was completely aware of it's own B-movieositude which made it instantly not as much fun as Deep Blue Sea which for some reason was not aware that it was a movie much more comical than thrilling or scary.

A year before Snakes was released it was already being called "the worst movie of the year" and dumbasses everywhere were anticipating its release so they could go to see it and laugh at a movie that was bad even though that's what the movie was trying to be. I guess it's not different than going to see Turistas and being scared. These same dumbasses, after finding out that Samuel L. Jackson was going to be starring in the movie, astutely began calling the movie Snakes on a Motherf@#!ing Plane. Hilarious.

It's to the point where I cringe any time anyone mentions Samuel L. Jackson because I know someone within hearing distance of me is going to drop a "Mother F-bomb" as a matter of reflex. The same way that if anyone mentioned Bill Clinton in 1998 someone would be bound to say something hilarious about a blue dress or a cigar and chuckle to themselves or the same way anyone will call Michael Jackson a freak. At least with Michael Jackson it's true. Can't people just let Samuel L. Jackson (no relation) go since he just had one foul-mouthed roll twelve years ago where he said this word a lot?

It's not just people beating this to death it's the smug, self-appreciative smile that thin-bearded twentysomethings give themselves after they make the Samuel L./Motherf@#!er connection that gets me. They always say it as if they just came up with something original and funny (rather than regurgitated a twelve-year-old "joke") and immediately begin looking around with a self-satisfied smile plastered on their face.

It's time to let it go, people. Pirates aren't funny. Ninjas aren't funny. And neither is Mace Windu calling Yoda a "Badass Motherf@#!er."
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Nov 29 2006, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's time to let it go, people. Pirates aren't funny. Ninjas aren't funny. And neither is Mace Windu calling Yoda a "Badass Motherf@#!er."

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!! I'm glad someone else thinks this! All this crap got tired years ago! yell.gif

#3 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:48 PM

unsure.gif *better remains silent*

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#4 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:39 AM

Well, agreed, except that he also starred in the remake of SHAFT and had a bit part in JACKIE BROWN where he waxed poetic about how the AK-47 was for when you needed to kill every one of the motherfuckers. But yeah, he's been in a lot of movies, and he isn't always that. I think the general vibe is that in real life he puts on that real cool juice, like he IS Julian in PULP FICTION. At least by "real life" I mean the persona he projects on talk shows. So people associate him with that character for more than just the fact that it's from the most memorable filme he was ever in. And yes, a lot of people are stupid and think they're funny when they tell jokes that you must have heard by now.

I don't think I'm going anywhere with this, except to say that I too am generally annoyed when I hear the same joke repeated 1000 times by folks who think it will make them appear witty, and I wanted to make that reference to JACKIE BROWN (also a Tarantino screenplay, of course).
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#5 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Oh you know the usual....
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE (yukai_ondori @ Nov 29 2006, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!! I'm glad someone else thinks this! All this crap got tired years ago! yell.gif

I second that!
I'm beyond tired of people saying those stupid things.
Like Brokeback. It was a mountain but now it is
refered to almost anything remotely homosexual.

I HATE HATE HATE when i hear guys at work
saying "don't go all brokeback on us"
I swear they have the lowest level of
maturity that even a 4 year olds would scoff at.

Sure, it was HILARIOUS the first 50 times
but now it's a little, no really stale.

Duct tape is like the force....

There's a lightside, a darkside

and it holds everything together

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#6 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:48 PM

I could be wrong, but I remember hearing that the line "I've had it with all these motherf@#!ing snakes on this motherf@#!ing plane" was added to the movie just because fans wanted to hear it.

This is why democracy sucks. Hail fascism!

#7 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 01 December 2006 - 04:52 PM

No Duckie you are correct!
It made such a splash
at the MTV movie awards that

the director thought it would be
best to capitalize on the new
found buzz around the film.

So the line was added in.
Though i never wanted to see
snakes on a plane

i had the chance and didn't take it.
Instead i had to sit through Miami Vice dry.gif
In retrospect i assume snakes was the better choice.

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#8 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 01 December 2006 - 06:33 PM

I know what I am about to say is opinionated. But then again, this is a forum where opinions become the subject of shared opinions and debate.

I have to agree with Chefelf, not specifically with regard to Samuel L. Jackson, but rather the idea that certain actors/actresses seemed to have formed certain characteristics about them lately.

It seems there are certain actors/actresses that star only in specifc film genres or roles. Other actors/actresses seem to have scripts concocted specifically for the type of talent they possess. Others who try their hand act acting seem to really have no true talent, yet, they are ever persistent in trying to break into the bigtime in Hollywood and box-office failure after box-office failure they keep attempting to score an Oscar or some other type of note-worthy blockbuster achievment.

Lets look at Morgan Freeman. I dont have anything against him. I think he is fine actor, but it seems that he is usually cast for playing the part of some goverment or military type of official.
One could argue and say that this is the type of work that this actor does..i.e. this is his genre, but there are many other similiar actors that have taken on film roles for other types of film genres.

Another one would be Will Smith. I know many admire his work, and Im fine with that, but to me I cant take any of his films that arent comedic in nature serious, the guy is just too funny. After watching countless episodes of "fresh prince of bel-air" in the 1990's, I cant see this guy doing serious roles. Im sorry, I just cant take his roles seriously.

Even worse is Bruce Willis. The man reknowned for "Die-Hard" fame. He is the type of actor looking to pursue being an action star. To some, he has effectively achieved this goal, to me he has not. He has this silly smirk on his face..its reminescent of the exact same look that Vincent D'Onofrio wore in the 1987 film "Full Metal Jacket". And just like Gunnery Sgt. Hartman, I would really like to tell him to please remove that silly looking grin on his face.

How many annoying characters does Eddie Murphy perform voice-over talent for in animated films? Back in 1998?,.I took my niece to see the film "Mulan". I think this was a great children's film by Disney, but was ruined by the ever-annoying wise-cracks by Eddie Murphy. Mulan isnt the only Disney film that Murphy has done voice-over work in, there are some others, I cant think of them now though.

Probably the biggest bomber of them all (drumroll), would be Ben Affleck. Sure him and his buddy Damon scored rave reviews for "Good Will Hunting", but since then, it seems that Damon has been ever holding the better deck of cards in his hand. Affleck just cant seem to score a major hit. "Pearl Harbor" seems to be his biggest achievement to date (films albiet Damon co-starring). He did "Daredevil" which flopped,..a recent Christmas film=also flopped, and that horrible film with J.Lo right before they spilt.

Like I said before, I know what I am saying is purely my opinion. And I dont mean to offend anyone. These are just some examples of what I noticed. Im sure that those reading this entry also have their own list of actors & actresses they feel are related to what I am saying. If you wish to express your own thoughts about other actors/actresses. Do so freely.

sleep.gif
QUOTE (njamilla @ Feb 23 2008, 08:16 AM)
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

QUOTE (chefelf @ Feb 23 2008, 10:30 AM)
That's what I'm here for.

#9 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 December 2006 - 03:21 PM

I get what you're saying completely Mireaux7. Same as when I see Elijah Wood, I will never take him for anything else but a Hobbit. Yet on the contrary to LotR, I will always see Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith from the Matrix trilogy.

It's always the biggest films that stand apart from the mainstream crap that let us identify charactors with actors. Shouldn't this be like SAT questions or something???

Cat is to Ketten, as Harrison Ford is to .... Indiana Jones!

Mark Hamill is to Luke Skywalker, as Christina Agulara is to, .... 95% Clown Whore Makeup.

Sorry, happy.gif , that was a take from one of Conan O'brien's funnier skits.

#10 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:12 PM

Don't forget Denzel Washington.....
He is probably the worlds most type-cast actor.
He's ALWAYS the guy who saves the day.

Or the underdog hero who wins in the end.
He didn't even win an oscar until he played a bad guy.
I have to say that his acting in 'Training Day' was so refreshing.

I suppose he likes to play the good guy
because of the negative black stereotypes,
but it's good to have a little range now and again...

Of course right after that he did Training Day it was
back to the I'm-gonna-save-the-day films.
Tsk,tsk

#11 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:10 PM

I don't get the big deal about Denzel Washington. Everyone exalts his performances and I am never impressed. And though yes, I am part black, therefore it is said that I must exalt him too. ....no. Just like I don't exalt sports figures of any nationality.

I'd say the only black person that I was really impressed with was Marlon Wayans in Requiem For A Dream! Oh and Keith David as "Big Tim" in that film too.

#12 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:08 PM

now i agree for most part. but my call a few weeks ago in reference to what lucas did to yodas speach ability did reference a SLJ quote, but with no intent on exploiting his involvement in the film, for which all intents and purposes in theis circuimstance was more coincidental than anything.

but i think my call was apt, as the focus was more on yoda fucking up a popular quote: "English Motherfucker, Speak it do you?"

People over do things, and do them without class. But I don't think it should in anyway detract from... well... MY BRILLIANCE. but over all yeah, that shit's geting old.

#13 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:37 PM

I guess everyone gets type cast eventually.
Mark Hamill couldn't get any work in
Hollywood for the longest time
without being referred to as Star War's Mark Hamill.

Orlando Bloom is stuck being a pirate or
period film fighting guy.
And when he tries to be a little
different (Elizabethtown) it's just awful.

Same with Harrison Ford.
Has he ever been a bad guy?
Seriously, i'm asking 'cuz i don't know.

Oh, and Sean Connery or Sir Anthony Hopkins.
They usually pplay the mentor, at least when they're not
sleeping with sexy secret agents or eating peoples livers.

And i'm sure the Governator
will never get away from his action hero thing
he'll be back again and again.

It's just what the entertainment business
does to count on serious moolah.

So Sam J will be saying Motherf@#!
til the end of his days

#14 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:45 PM

harrison ford has played a bad guy, but i can't tell you in which movie because it would spoil it.

also, it would be nice to see ray liota play a character that's not a nutjob. he seems like a really sweet guy in real life, but he's always a psycho or mobster.

#15 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 15 December 2006 - 02:04 PM

harrison ford has played a bad guy, but i can't tell you in which movie because it would spoil it.

REALLY?!?! he's been a bad guy... i'm intrigued

also, it would be nice to see ray liota play a character that's not a nutjob. he seems like a really sweet guy in real life, but he's always a psycho or mobster.

That's very true he usually is quite crazy
But i actually thought of a actor who has range
Christian Bale.

He's been a serious bad guy (actually pyscho),
a good guy and even a superhero (loved him as the bat)
and i believe it everytime.

He can act and he's pretty nice to look at
but he's being called the new Batman
So let the one-liners begin

.....At least he had a good career

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size