Chefelf.com Night Life: Deck the Halls with Hackneyed Folly - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

Deck the Halls with Hackneyed Folly Wednesday, November 1, 2006

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:34 AM

A number of things come to mind when I see commercials for the new movie, Deck the Halls (view trailer).

First I wonder where Matthew "Formerly the coolest guy in the world" Broderick went wrong.

Then I am confused because I could swear that this movie has already been made and released seven or eight times already.

Then I am convinced that there have to have been at lease ten movies already called Deck the Halls. A quick search of trusty imdb.com reveals that there has been a movie named Deck the Halls released for the last three consecutive years of 2004, 2005 and 2006.

Then I wonder why someone would be at all tempted to make another guy-falling-off-the-roof-while-decorating, riding-a-runaway-sleigh-down-Main-street, trying-to-out-do-your-neighbor's-holiday-lights-display, probably-electrocuting-a-cranky-grandmother's-cat holiday fiasco comedy again.

Still, it's always hilarious when an annoying neighbor has an over the top display of holiday lights on his front lawn. That joke just gets better with age.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Oh you know the usual....
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:54 PM

Well Chefie,

it is nearing Christmastime. What else would you expect?
It's just like every other sports movie or teen drama.

Same plot, same climax, similar characters and no surprises. Thats what makes movies like Deck the Halls forgetable enough to make a 'new' one year after year.

It's sad really, the name of the movie game is predictability.

Duct tape is like the force....

There's a lightside, a darkside

and it holds everything together

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#3 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:54 PM

Given the cringe-worthy commercial, I can only hope Broderick drives a sleigh down the street as well as he does, a sports car on a mountainous twisty road.

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Nov 1 2006, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That joke just gets better with age.

Too bad Christmas comes only once a year. wink.gif

#4 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:59 PM

Christmas vacation, with chevy chase! That one did it all with style
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#5 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:26 PM

Oh joy, I cant wait to see this one. Maybe there'll even be annoying relatives coming over for the holidays! Hahahaha oh you kill me, movie!

If this has become the acceptable modus operandi for holiday films I doubt we'll ever see another real Christmas film like It's A Wonderful Life.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#6 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 03 November 2006 - 03:45 AM

Another piece of shit filmed in Vancouver. But damn, there are some beautiful women in that movie.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#7 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ Nov 2 2006, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh joy, I cant wait to see this one. Maybe there'll even be annoying relatives coming over for the holidays! Hahahaha oh you kill me, movie!

If this has become the acceptable modus operandi for holiday films I doubt we'll ever see another real Christmas film like It's A Wonderful Life.

You kill me, movie. biggrin.gif And the Santa Clause 3 commercial had the requisite toilet humor, check. It's enough to make me want to go out and rent Jingle all the way (with widdle jake wwoyd). At least I was introduced to the "gets better with every viewing" flick, Meet me in St. Louis, this year.

#8 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:11 PM

With the exception of Nat. Lampoons, all Christmas movies suck ass. it’s a scientific fact. Plants grow leaves, water freezes at 32F, the sun burns things, and Christmas movies suck ass.

#9 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:35 AM

What about the Rankin Bass "Rudolph?" And "The Snowman?"
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#10 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:06 AM

You mean the claymation ones? Those dont count cause those are for little kids.

... and people who smoke marijuana.

#11 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:33 PM

Christmas movies are almost as good as road trip movies, and no matter what there are going to be more of them.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#12 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:43 PM

Christmas is just a big lump of cheese these days, so I wouldn't be concerned if it wasn't Matthew Broderick. HE played Ferris Bueller! That was a good film! Noooo!
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size