Chefelf.com Night Life: Lines you'd like to hear in Star Wars - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Lines you'd like to hear in Star Wars What it says.

#16 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:30 PM

"Master Jedi? Just for five minutes, will you ditch the pretentious high-fantasy speak and start talking like a normal human being?"

Give her a round of applause, people! biggrin.gif

#17 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (Storm @ Oct 26 2006, 02:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's amazing how most people can dish it out on the PT in the most absurd fashion possible, but can't take even a slight joke aimed towards the OT.

It's not the fact that it's aimed at the OT; it's the fact that you insist on bringing it up over and over again in topics that have nothing whatsoever to do with the subject, despite your point having been refuted several times in a discussion you blatantly chickened out of. I'm deadly serious about the ignore list, Storm, because it's just getting fucking boring now. In case you haven't noticed, no one thinks you're remotely funny or clever; the only thing you're doing is getting on people's wick.

Oh, and in case you hadn't noticed, the second post in this thread is aimed at the OT.

This post has been edited by Helena: 26 October 2006 - 01:28 PM

The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#18 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:10 PM

DACK: Fire control looks good, Luke. Tow cable harpoon activated!

Special Edition to include:

DACK: Incoming fire! NNNOOOO!

#19 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (Helena @ Oct 26 2006, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not the fact that it's aimed at the OT; it's the fact that you insist on bringing it up over and over again in topics that have nothing whatsoever to do with the subject, despite your point having been refuted several times in a discussion you blatantly chickened out of. I'm deadly serious about the ignore list, Storm, because it's just getting fucking boring now. In case you haven't noticed, no one thinks you're remotely funny or clever; the only thing you're doing is getting on people's wick.

Oh, and in case you hadn't noticed, the second post in this thread is aimed at the OT.

I will agree with you in that my posts aren't funny, but they definitely are clever seeing as how I can successfully incorporate my thoughts into nearly any topic. And quite frankly, I am not interested in whether or not people think I am funny or clever. I don't seek approval from other people like so many others do here (and obviously the easiest method to obtain that approval is by bashing the PT and defending the OT). I welcome OT bashers onto this website, because at least they will generate discussion more interesting than "Jar Jar Binks sucks!".

In any event, I finally found something which destroys your argument on Luke's piloting. This quote is from an argument you were having with jariten.

QUOTE (Helena)
How are these complaints 'well-founded'? Yes, Obi-Wan is critical of him, but given the way he behaves this is hardly surprising. Just look at a few of the things Anakin does in the film: whines like a five-year-old; throws several temper tantrums; almost gets both of them killed in a speeder chase; develops a ridiculous teenage crush on a Galactic Senator; very deliberately pursues this relationship behind his master's back, even though he knows how dangerous this is; takes a woman he's supposed to be protecting to a dangerous, gangster-run planet to search for his mother; finds said mother dying and proceeds to kill everyone in the vicinity in revenge.

The whole premise of your defense on Luke's piloting was that Tatooine definitely had hangers which stored ships, thereby giving people an opportunity to learn how to fly. I claimed that was absurb, because on a planet run by gangsters, such a base would have surely been busted into considering how it would be storing expensive vehicles. You claimed that "in the OT we didn't know Tatooine was run by gangsters, that was crap introduced in the PT".

So it's funny how you choose to acknowledge Tatooine being run by gangsters when it serves your purpose to attack the PT, yet choose to ignore it when dealing with the OT.

Just to summarize, I never chickened out of that argument....I just won it.

And now back to "Lines you'd like to hear in Star Wars".

This post has been edited by Storm: 26 October 2006 - 06:33 PM

#20 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:46 PM

Even I, who rarely visits the Star Wars forums, can tell that you did not, in fact, win that argument. She was arguing about a plot point in the PT, by using another plot point in the PT. It's irrelevant. Besides, who says a gangster-run planet wouldn't have hangars and ships? Like gangsters here don't have cars and garages? rolleyes.gif
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#21 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:17 PM

TARKIN: Lord Vader, release him. Your son will be here in twenty-five minutes. And yes, as we'll see; he is as lucky a "pilot" as you always were.

#22 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE (Storm @ Oct 24 2006, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After Luke gets into the X-Wing for the first time on Yavin.

LUKE: Hmmm..so many buttons. This may be problematic seeing as how I have never flown this ship before or received even a millisecond of training. Let's see....what does this button do?
X-WING COMPUTER: Self-Destruct Sequence Activated

BOOM!

Luke is dead.

That's what should have happened....

moan.... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z z z z z

stop being boring and predictable.

there are tribes yet to be discovered in the depths of the amazon jungle that knew you were going to say that.

#23 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Oh you know the usual....
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:19 AM

Anakin: Are you an angel?

Padme: What?!

Anakin Are you an angel?

Padme: Wow kid, you've probably never seen a girl as good lookin' as me have you?

Anakin: No... which is why i asked if...

Padme: Let me stop you right there. Here's a little life lesson:Girls like me,don't date guys with jobs like yours.

Duct tape is like the force....

There's a lightside, a darkside

and it holds everything together

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#24 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 27 October 2006 - 03:52 PM

(scene from AOTC, Anakin and Padme inside Padme's apartment on Coruscant)

Padme: Please dont look at me like that!

Anakin: Why not?

Padme: Because it makes me feel uncomfortable

Anakin: If anything is making you feel uncomfortable, its all your damn constraining clothes that you think you have to change into every 30 minutes!!

Padme: That was in the first film, get over it!!

Anakin: Yeah, youre right,..I didnt even hit puberty back then.

Padme: I was wondering when you were ever going to grow up, Ive been having dreams about you using that big ol' lightsaber of yours on me.

Anakin: Dreams?!?..you dont even want to know about my dreams!

Padme: you mean the one about me dying?

Anakin: Hey, cheater!, youre not supposed to look at Lucas' scripts until he says you can!

Padme: Lucas loves me, I can get whatever I want in these films...fashionable clothes, and I can pretty much sleep thru my lines, giving the audience absolutely no real acting ability from me at all.

Anakin: Its a shame you would do that,.these films are destined to become classics!

Padme: Like I really care!,.Im just going thru the motions to get on to better things,.."V for Vendetta" for starters.

Anakin: (sarcastic) Oh, like that film is really gonna sell well.

Padme: would you stop your whining, you acting like such a big baby!

Anakin: Im supposed to act like a whining little punk in this movie,.its ROTS where I change my behavior and start acting like a badass!

Padme: LITERALLY, babe!

yell.gif
QUOTE (njamilla @ Feb 23 2008, 08:16 AM)
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

QUOTE (chefelf @ Feb 23 2008, 10:30 AM)
That's what I'm here for.

#25 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 27 October 2006 - 04:01 PM

I will agree with you in that my posts aren't funny, but they definitely are clever seeing as how I can successfully incorporate my thoughts into nearly any topic.

So harping on endlessly, irrelevantly and boringly over the same subject is a sign of cleverness on your planet?

QUOTE (Storm @ Oct 27 2006, 12:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In any event, I finally found something which destroys your argument on Luke's piloting. This quote is from an argument you were having with jariten.
The whole premise of your defense on Luke's piloting was that Tatooine definitely had hangers which stored ships, thereby giving people an opportunity to learn how to fly. I claimed that was absurb, because on a planet run by gangsters, such a base would have surely been busted into considering how it would be storing expensive vehicles. You claimed that "in the OT we didn't know Tatooine was run by gangsters, that was crap introduced in the PT".

Yes, it's shown as being run by gangsters IN THE PT. That particular discussion was regarding one of the PT films, whereas the piloting discussion involves a film that was made before any of the 'run by gangsters' crap was ever thought of, so the passage you quoted is completely irrelevant. In any case, when did I ever say that the whole premise of my argument hinged on Tatooine not being run by gangsters? I made it quite clear in the other thread - with detailed explanations - that I think it perfectly possible for Luke to have learned to fly on Tatooine even if it was controlled by Jabba and co.

Just to summarize, I never chickened out of that argument....I just won it.

*Howls with laughter* OK, let's take a quick straw poll, shall we? How many people here think that Storm won that argument? Jesus, it's like watching the Iraqi Information Minister trying to deny that the Americans had reached Baghdad...
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

#26 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:00 AM

Hey Storm, you ever going to acknowledge the Astromech Droid that they place in every ship, making flight possible for anyone with a little piloting experience? It's IN THE MOVIE, and I've mentioned it every time you've brought out your pathetic little winge. Won that argument my ass. It's easy to believe anyting if you ignore contradictory viewpoints.

PS: Even in the PT, Tatooing is not really run by gangsters. It's basically a frontier economy, as far as we can tell run by junk dealers who race pod ships in an arena run by gangsters. In the OT it is also a frontier town, but clearly run by the Empire.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#27 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 28 October 2006 - 08:39 AM

Hey guys. I couldn't help overseeing this stupid little ongoing argument from Storm and so I thought I might help out.

Just thought I'd let him know that if he watches the scenes in Luke's garage carefully, he can see a little ship parked between the garage and the rest of the house - probably that T-16 that Luke used to bulls-eye those poor wamprats with.

And if that's not enough, later in the movie, Obi Wan says to Luke "I understand you've become quite a good pilot yourself."

Now of course, that probably won't convince our little friend but that's his problem. I'd probably just hit the ignore user function if I were you guys.

And now to get this thread back on track...

I think it'd be nice to just have someone snap when another characters says "I've got a bad feeling about this."

Perhaps something along the lines of "Would you guys just cut that out?"

or "That's it! If I hear one more person say 'I've got a bad feeling about this', I'll..."

Okay. That's my five cents worth.

#28 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ Oct 28 2006, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And if that's not enough, later in the movie, Obi Wan says to Luke "I understand you've become quite a good pilot yourself."

Now of course, that probably won't convince our little friend but that's his problem. I'd probably just hit the ignore user function if I were you guys.

It won't. And I think I will, at least temporarily. I've just started a new job in London, I'm not well, I'm feeling constantly stressed (and I do mean constantly), and this kind of 'stupid little argument' - as you correctly put it - is the last thing I need at the moment. Anyway, more lines: what with the amount of OT characters turning up in the prequels, it's crossed my mind that the entire OT is starting to look like one vast reunion party for PT characters...

"Hang on... is that Jabba? Jabba the Hutt? My God, it's been years!"

"Chewbacca? Is that really you?"

"Oh, you're not going to believe this. You know that bounty hunter, the one working for Jabba? Would you believe it's Jango Fett's son? Yeah, Jango Fett - you know, the guy who was the template for the entire Clone army..."

#29 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Oct 28 2006, 05:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Storm, you ever going to acknowledge the Astromech Droid that they place in every ship, making flight possible for anyone with a little piloting experience? It's IN THE MOVIE, and I've mentioned it every time you've brought out your pathetic little winge. Won that argument my ass. It's easy to believe anyting if you ignore contradictory viewpoints.

Let's assume for the moment that because of the astromech droid you can fly the X-wing with minimal piloting experience. Fair enough....

However, I seem to recall R2-D2 getting blasted by Vader in the Death Star trench, thus leaving the piloting completely up to Luke (and conveniently at the point of the level....I mean movie, where he is flying in a ridiculously tight area AND has three TIE fighters on his back). You can't tell me Obi-Wan's five minute lesson on how to deflect laser blasts with a blast shield on would be sufficient training for him to manipulate the force to a level where he can avoid TIE fighter shots and fire a dead on proton torpedo shot.

Another thought....when Vader finally locks on to Luke's X-wing and says "I have you now" we clearly see he fires at least six shots before Han destroys one of the accompanying TIE fighters. Why don't those shots hit Luke's X-wing? Did Han arriving in the nick of time and firing just "cancel out" Vader's shots?

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer)

Insufficient.

In the PT, Anakin also claims he is a "pilot" when he first meets Padme. It wasn't enough for me in the TPM (even with the pod race), and certainly isn't enough for me in ANH (Whoops, I suppose I should refer to it as STAR WARS to prevent people from having their childhoods robbed from them).

This post has been edited by Storm: 28 October 2006 - 12:09 PM

#30 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:32 PM

Hey guys. I couldn't help overseeing this stupid little ongoing argument from Storm and so I thought I might help out.

This isn't a stupid little argument. It's a discussion of a severe flaw in ANH. All the events leading up to the attack of the Death Star and the final destruction make absolutely no sense. For example

1. Knowing full well that they were being tracked, Princess Leia deliberately leads the Death Star to Yavin. For someone who is supposed to be one of the leaders of the rebellion, that is an extremely poor decision. Basically, presumably without even looking at the plans, she made an assumption that they could examine the plans and come up with a way to destroy the Death Star in a matter of 30 minutes. With this kind of leadership, it's amazing the rebellion survived more than a week.

2. Since the Death Star can make it from Alderan to Yavin slightly slower than the Falcon, this indicates the Death Star can travel in hyperspace. I would be interested to know how much fuel would be required to move a body which has the mass of a moon across the galaxy at the speed of light in a matter of minutes.

3. Yavin should have been destroyed. We know the Death Star can travel fast, so why wouldn't they just move to the other side of that big red planet? The only explanation is that they must have used up all their fuel in travelling through hyperspace (what bad luck to come out of hyperspace on the wrong side of the planet!).

4. For a battle station of that magnitude, why would they only dispatch 30 TIE fighters to take on the X-wings? Also, if I was Tarkin, I would have dispatched a whole fleet of TIE fighters to go to Yavin and destroy the Rebel base. Presumably it takes 1 minute for the X-wings to get from the Yavin base to the Death Star, so I can assume it would take 1 minute for a fleet of TIE fighters to reach the base, 5 minutes to destroy it, and 1 minute to return. They would be back in time to land their ships, grab a bag of popcorn, and watch the Death Star blow Yavin to pieces.

This post has been edited by Storm: 28 October 2006 - 12:43 PM

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size