• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Top 99 Games of All Time From IGN.com

#16 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Oct 29 2006, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... but since my video game expertise is limited to only KOTOR and Ocarina of Time, I probably shouldn’t have a say.

*cough*

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#17 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (Gobbler @ Oct 30 2006, 03:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zelda's nice, but it lacks depth and emotion, I wouldn't rank it that high.

Final Fantasy X == completely fucked up, just like FF IX. VIII was nice, VII was absolutely brilliant and III (i.e. VI) was the best FF ever. Full stop.

Chrono Trigger... now that one clearly deserves to be No. 1. The only thing that bugged me about it were those crappy drawings made by those horrible horrible people who drew Dragon Ball, too.

The constant issue I observe most people tend to have when trying to compare Zelda to other RPGs is that they usually have some sort of negative views for Zelda.

Zelda is an awesome series, but trying to compare it to traditional turn-based style RPGs isnt fair, as Zelda is pretty much in a different classification.

The lack of depth and emotion that you are referring to would be storyline and character development, which is true that Zelda doesnt have much of in comparison with Final Fantasy, Legend of Dragoon, etc. But then again, Zelda isnt trying to be those type of games to begin with. Zelda is more action-oriented, and always was. When RPGs first came out, they pretty much took two different directions: those games that feature character development and deep storyline, and those games that are more action-oriented.

QUOTE (Slade @ Oct 29 2006, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How can FF X be on there? What is it with Square and it's trite rehashed story, rehashed content, and ultra-effemminate male main characters who are angsty about saving the world? FF X took a good 2 hours just to get to where you could actually play due to the long stupid cutscenes, and then they only pretended there was any freedom in the leveling up system.

Best. Game. Ever? No idea. Something old and fantastic and ultra positively influential, like SMB3. *shrug*

Yeah, I'll admit that..even as big of a FF fan that I am. There is something eery about Square lately. I love the Final Fantasy series, but something weird happened after Final Fantasy IX. I liked the darker installments, such as Final Fantasy VII and VIII. Then the latter installments got real sugar-coated and fruity, like a generic childrens breakfast cereal. The male characters got really girl-esque. The girls either bared more skin, looked more superficial, or took on lesbian tendencies. The magic/item systems got more complex. Square is trying so hard to maintain their rep as being the ultimate RPG developer, that sometimes they get carried away with it and go off the deep end. I sometimes wonder what transpires at some of their board meetings, when they get together to discuss initial ideas about what their next chapter should include and how it should look.
QUOTE (njamilla @ Feb 23 2008, 08:16 AM)
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

QUOTE (chefelf @ Feb 23 2008, 10:30 AM)
That's what I'm here for.

#18 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 02 November 2006 - 03:44 AM

mireaux7 just found the way to my heart with that accurate description of what went on after FF VIII. wub.gif

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#19 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:08 AM

Zelda isn't an RPG or an Orko-PG. It's an action-adventure where you get more items and life-bar as you play through it. You go around kicking butt and solving puzzles. in R/OPGs, you go around kicking butt to get more stuff to kick more butt.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#20 User is offline   EwokHunter Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE (Slade @ Nov 2 2006, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zelda isn't an RPG or an Orko-PG. It's an action-adventure where you get more items and life-bar as you play through it. You go around kicking butt and solving puzzles. in R/OPGs, you go around kicking butt to get more stuff to kick more butt.

In few words, no level ups.

#21 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (mireaux7 @ Oct 31 2006, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The girls either bared more skin, looked more superficial, or took on lesbian tendencies.

Whats wrong with that?

#22 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 03 November 2006 - 03:50 AM

That you're not actually gettin' any of it in the process. sad.gif

#23 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Being infested by parasites. Fighting members of the Kennedy family, kidnapping the President's daughter. Moaning.<br />

Posted 03 November 2006 - 09:29 PM

Pffffff!!! I will not claim that Final Fantasy X is awesome. I will however claim that Final Fantasy X-2 is one of the greatest games ever released.

Also, Final Fantasy X had character developement freedom. You just had to go through roads/paths to get somewhere. Not total freedom, but freedom none the less! It was the sequel that hardly had any, but that's ok because you played three cute girls in "dress up and hit bad guys!" Which is the best genre ever.

#24 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE (Slade @ Nov 3 2006, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tend to disagree on your last point there. RPG's don't (or at least shouldn't primarily) involve going around kicking butt to get more stuff to kick butt. RPG's should involve realistic characters in a believable universe, where you take on the role of a character (or characters) and shape how things happen around you. Most games that focus on story are RPGs, regardless of the needs for stats. To my mind, games such as Diablo aren't RPGs as they don't have any character development at all.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#25 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:13 AM

So there are really some people left who think that Diablo's an RPG? Geez... if they can't even distinguish between RPG and Hack-n-Slay, then I don't wanna hear about their opinion on Quake.

#26 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (Gobbler @ Nov 2 2006, 04:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mireaux7 just found the way to my heart with that accurate description of what went on after FF VIII. wub.gif

(*blushes*) awww..shucks! @};- @};- wub.gif
QUOTE (njamilla @ Feb 23 2008, 08:16 AM)
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

QUOTE (chefelf @ Feb 23 2008, 10:30 AM)
That's what I'm here for.

#27 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE (SimeSublime @ Nov 3 2006, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tend to disagree on your last point there. RPG's don't (or at least shouldn't primarily) involve going around kicking butt to get more stuff to kick butt. RPG's should involve realistic characters in a believable universe, where you take on the role of a character (or characters) and shape how things happen around you. Most games that focus on story are RPGs, regardless of the needs for stats. To my mind, games such as Diablo aren't RPGs as they don't have any character development at all.

Ideally, sure. But they label all sorts of crap RPGs. Like that Fable game.

#28 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:58 AM

And that really pisses me off. A friend of mine was trying to convince me that Hellgate: London was an RPG. I took one look at it and told him that that was a load of crap.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#29 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:48 PM

I meant the conventional way games are termed RPGs these days. Stat building, etc. I haven't played too many real RPGs where the main goal wasn't to just get a better character going, despite said character having an actual chance to make decisions in the game.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#30 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Being infested by parasites. Fighting members of the Kennedy family, kidnapping the President's daughter. Moaning.<br />

Posted 06 November 2006 - 04:31 AM

Think that is just the Elder Scroll games and Fallout. If I am overlooking something, please let me know.

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size