Chefelf.com Night Life: Hey, Zune You! - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Hey, Zune You! Friday, October 20, 2006

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:52 PM

Microsoft Zune: Doesn't sound sweet to everyone
IDG News Service 10/18/06

Jeremy Kirk, IDG News Service, London Bureau

Microsoft's forthcoming digital music player, dubbed Zune, may make some Hebrew speakers gasp. The name for the device -- which will take on the Apple iPod when released later this year -- sounds like a vulgarity, specifically the "f" word, in Hebrew.

The tech industry continually creates goofy product names, exemplified by Yahoo and Google. But companies routinely hire branding consultancies to extensively research product names, including translations in other languages, says Steve Manning, managing director for Igor International in San Francisco, a branding agency. Nobody wants to make the mistake that Chevy did with its Nova automobile (No va, of course, made Spanish speakers think "no go.")

Hebrew linguists are divided over Zune. Tsila Ratner, the head of Hebrew courses in the Department of Hebrew and Jewish Studies at University College London, says Zune is an unsuitable name for a product. However, Haggit Inbar-Littas, a 30-year veteran Hebrew teacher with the London Jewish Cultural Center, says while the name is "ridiculous" and close to the bad word, it's unlikely to be mistaken.

Microsoft breaks the controversy down to pronunciation. "While we do acknowledge the similarity in pronunciation to Hebrew zi-yun, that is not the intended meaning of the name Zune," according to a Microsoft statement. Bloggers have picked up on the difference -- one humorously writing that if you say Zune to rhyme with iTunes, out pops the profanity.

http://www.itworld.c...051/061018zune/

See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:15 PM

So soon people wouldn't have to use finger signs, they could use that instead.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 20 October 2006 - 01:21 PM

#3 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:32 PM

I like the way every new music device is touted as the next "ipod killer".

yeah. Right. AS IF yell.gif

#4 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2006 - 05:57 PM

Meh, a while ago I may have given a damn, but I want to get a job at Microsoft sometime, thus I refuse to state an opinion.

#5 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:11 PM

I hope something kills that stupid iPod. I want to hear about more than one product on the market. It's crappy and annoying enough with what competition there is.

In regards to this article, those Hebrew scholars need to grow the heck up. "Oh noes! You're saying a word in another language that's sorta like a bad word to us! We're all so offended that we're going to complain. Wah, wah, wah!" Imagine if everybody did that? We'd have to cut a whole lot of everybody's languages apart. pinch.gif
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#6 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE (Slade @ Oct 20 2006, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope something kills that stupid iPod. I want to hear about more than one product on the market. It's crappy and annoying enough with what competition there is.

I agree. Just hearing "ipod" puts me in fight mode. I've snapped at a number of Best Buy salesmen (and women) trying to sell me one. I'll stick to my only-14-songs-at-a-time-bulky-skipping-everybody-staring-at-me-cause-I'm-the-only-one-in-a-hundred-mile-radius-who-still-uses-a-cd-player CD Player.

Now I know how my gramma feels when she bitches cause nobody sells cassette tapes at the store any more.

This post has been edited by Sailor Abbey: 22 October 2006 - 08:19 AM

#7 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:10 PM

YES! CD Player users unite!

Um...should we high-five or something? Or maybe go out and strangle people with their headphone cords?
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#8 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Oct 20 2006, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like the way every new music device is touted as the next "ipod killer".

yeah. Right. AS IF yell.gif

perhaps... but microsoft will zune the ipod.

devil.gif

and lets not forget popular actor Roy Schieder whos surname is the german word for a popular female body part.

#9 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:28 PM

I used to have a CD player, until it stopped working, and I realized that it would take up less space than one CD to have a MP3 player instead. I had a 12-second-skip (or whatever the term is) CD player, not bad, my friend had one that was one second. He basically moved it, and it stopped playing. CD players were cool, but even my nan has a MP3 player. Infact, I'm about to get a new one, one problem with iPod minis is that after a few years the battery life reduces from about 14 hours to 2 hours.

Anyway, iPod's are a fashion statement more than anything, when I got mine they weren't as fashionable as they are now, thus I am concerned about my status if I buy one. I might buy one of the others.

#10 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 23 October 2006 - 05:54 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Oct 23 2006, 01:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and lets not forget popular actor Roy Schieder whos surname is the german word for a popular female body part.

That would be Scheide, and frankly, quite hilarious. Better example: Johnny Depp a.k.a. Mr. Dumbass.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#11 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:27 AM

What? Seriously, is that how it translates? huh.gif
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#12 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:43 AM

Seriously, that's how it translates. Well, kinda. I guess a mere "fool" would be more accurate. Or Icey.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#13 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (Gobbler @ Oct 23 2006, 05:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That would be Scheide, and frankly, quite hilarious. Better example: Johnny Depp a.k.a. Mr. Dumbass.

same pronounciation

#14 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:05 AM

Product names in other countries can be important if that's where a large market share is. For example, I know a few people who are apprehensious about the upcoming Nintendo wii, as it's prounced the same as wee. I mean, I don't want people thinking that I'm playing with my piss.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#15 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:23 AM

Seconded. But I must say that I do love those people who openly admit that they're using the oh so famous "CLIT BANG!".

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size