Chefelf.com Night Life: The chronics of glasses - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

The chronics of glasses

Poll: The chronics of glasses

Do you have difficulty removing smears from your glasses?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Do smears cause you irritation?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

What lens do you have

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:56 PM

Just now like any other time of cleaning it takes me a long time to clean my glasses.

I can tolerate some dust and water drops.
What I can't tolerate is when my vision is blurred optically from something in front.

I have these cleaning solutions that all say crystal clear non smear lens cleaning solution. Most of them didn't work properly for me and not even with the cloth I brought or the advice I was given at the opticians many times. Maybe I am doing it wrong but when they showed me how to use it the smears were still there.

I tried saliva and a cotton shirt, that causes smears that are as bad in certain lights.
I tried washing up liquid but when that dries up I get an oily and wavy effect.
Kitchen towels causes scratching.

Here is what I normally do:
I put the glasses in hot water for a couple of minutes.
Then I use 100% cotton tissues to remove the dirt by the sides.
I put it back in hot water for a small amount of time.
With the 100% cotton tissues, I fold into bits and make them long then I add tiny drops of hot water to the ends.
Using many of these I clean the lens perfectly crystal clear on each side without any creasy looks, smears or dust.

Today I ran out of cotton tissues and trying to clean them nearly drove me insane.
The normal tissues leaves out bits, they get caught by the sides of the glasses, harbours the smears and carries them along.

All I want to do is to clean my glasses but the end result of a simple clean is worse than when I started. So what is the point of glass cleaning clothes and non smear solutions that smears?

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 21 October 2006 - 10:06 PM

#2 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:06 PM

I don't know why, but my glasses can get absolutely filthy and it never bothers me. But when I do need to clean them well, I just use some window cleaner and a handkerchief. *shrug* I like my contacts better, anyway.
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#3 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 22 October 2006 - 01:24 AM

I use warm water and a paper towel to clean mine. Smudges drive me crazy, unless I get used to them during a time when I just need to deal with having smudges.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#4 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:20 AM

Well thanks, I no longer feel alone on this one. People call me fussy and obsessive when it comes to cleaning. Then they say to get use to it when I point of the smears in the light.

I get use to glasses getting dirty but it is unacceptable for them to get dirtier when I clean them.

#5 User is offline   EwokHunter Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:50 AM

My glasses aren't dirty, even if I play football (soccer) because I never fall, other friends fall... well but I am stronger or with other friends, I don't slip in a stupid way.

#6 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:58 AM

You play sports in your glasses? That's a bit risky.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#7 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:54 PM

I hate glasses, but I parents have already said that they will pay for me to have lazer eye surgery, so I may escape the frames one day.

#8 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:05 PM

I may be able to finally get it done some time next year if my eyes calm down (they get worse and worse every year, but thankfully it's been slowing down). The main issue is that it's so expensive and our insurance doesn't cover it - they define lasic surgery as "cosmetic surgery". Bullshit, it's cosmetic. I'm damn near blind. Do they call it "cosmetic" because when I get it, I'll finally be able to see myself in a mirror? dry.gif

Still, if and when I get it done I know I won't have perfect vision, but it's better than nothing, isn't it?

Does anyone else still see the frames on their face when they close their eyes, or make the motions to adjust them even when they’re not wearing them? This has been irritating me more and more, lately.
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#9 User is offline   Emu Icon

• the internets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:fire, typing random things; getting guys drunk and getting them to do my Spanish homework for me; time travel; exploding things.

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:37 PM

all I have to say on the subject is that glasses are hot.

that, and smears and stuff on my glasses used to bother me more but I guess I kind of got used to it. and I second the suggestion of using window cleaner.

weirdly, I only see the frames when I close my eyes if I'm actually wearing them. disclaimer: this observation was made only after a cursory experiment involving closing my eyes and removing my glasses.

sometimes I make the motions to adjust them when they're not there, though, and it's kind of surprising when they're not.

This post has been edited by Emu: 22 October 2006 - 08:37 PM

Head Gunner for the Royal Sloop Crimson Steel, Queen of the Dead, Instigator of Chaos and Confusion, Knight of the Grand Recursive Order of the Lambda Calculus, and also The Non.

Remember Emu's face, people; one day it's going to be on the news alongside a headline about blowing some landmark to smithereens, and then we can all sigh and say, "She was such a normal person".....
....We'd be lying though.
-Laughlyn

If my doctor tells me to exercise, I am going to force him to do my homework.
-Mirithorn

- Do Not Use the Elevators - deviantART - Infinite Monkeys -

#10 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:38 PM

Cosmetic surgery? I don't think the appearance of laser treatment will make any difference on how you look, externally. If you had an accident because you couldn't see who would be liable for that then if the insurance denied you cover?

Frames - It was always difficult for me to find a large enough frame size to fit my face without sliding off and I don't see the reflection as bad in these.

I don't think laser surgery would matter for me now. I was going to start another thread on the problems with my eyes but it is quite worrying. It seems to be a genetic condition on seeing dots and strings.

My vision was perfectly clear until at around the end of November last year follwed by frequent headaches. The opticians were full myths, "your brain will learn to ignore it" - never did and that to me is an insult. The eye doctor said to me that the string in my left eye will eventually settle down - never did. Now it is getting worse and more dots in my right eye. They say it usually happens to old people but I am barely that old and no where near that age.

I can't look up to the sky or any bright white or bright surfaces comfortably any more so the future is looking pretty grim for me. The fact the opticians didn't tell me at first is that a vitrectomy (salt solution) can be replaced in the eye in the worst cases. I have not found out the exact causes for vitreous gel detachment in young people but I just happen to be as yet again unfortunate. Sometimes I see blurry spots until I close my eyelids. What I am worried about is going blind.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 22 October 2006 - 08:57 PM

#11 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 23 October 2006 - 04:49 AM

QUOTE (Emu @ Oct 23 2006, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
all I have to say on the subject is that glasses are hot.

That really depends on the person and the type of glasses. I've seen plenty of cases where they are definatly hot, but I've seen a couple where...just...no.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#12 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2006 - 05:02 AM

Normally when I got out on the pull I take my glasses off. I really don't suit them, if it wasn't that I could barely see them, I would avoid wearing them all the time.

#13 User is offline   EwokHunter Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (Slade @ Oct 22 2006, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You play sports in your glasses? That's a bit risky.

I'm in midfield, there's no problem because I'm not a goalkeeper, and I am a very good header. I just have caution when someone kicks a cannon.

#14 User is offline   Dorothy Icon

• We supply it, we demand you eat it.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (Jane Sherwood @ Oct 22 2006, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone else still see the frames on their face when they close their eyes, or make the motions to adjust them even when they’re not wearing them? This has been irritating me more and more, lately.
YES! That is absolutely hateful. I close my eyes and see my frames. More than a little distracting.

I usually don't notice that my glasses are dirty until I go to take them off. Then I wonder how I can see at all.
"The problem is, you're not a kangaroo... that's a bear... and he's in your pants."
"Maybe artists shouldn't talk about their art."
"Well kids, I guess your father isn't a hermaphrodite."
"Izzy! enough with the rabid smootching!!"

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size