Chefelf.com Night Life: I don't believe in terrorism anymore - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

I don't believe in terrorism anymore or the bogey man, or Santa

#31 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:03 PM

I look around and read people getting stabbed and battered up anonymously by the same groups of people and they don't call that terrorism. Apart from that the MS 13 didn't seem to be mentioned or highlighted so much as a terror threat before as I would have expected compared to those who don't even live in the same country and are classed as terrorists but are only doing what they think is right for a reason. I know I can't say that about all terrorists such as the ones who hold people for ransoms. My guess soon or even now is that they'll probably link the two together on being unable to control them. Except this is in their own nation and as I read they expanded to many other places.

According to what one person said "people there like to live in the same way (as) we like to die" it seems that certain countries have their own version of peace and terrorism but how are they defined on conflicting interests such as these?

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 08 October 2006 - 09:20 PM

#32 User is offline   Grinov Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:52 AM

QUOTE (Deepsycher @ Oct 9 2006, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
According to what one person said "people there like to live in the same way (as) we like to die" it seems that certain countries have their own version of peace and terrorism but how are they defined on conflicting interests such as these?

That’s a very good point, what is terrorism?

My definition is a force that is willing to kill civilians/non-combatants to further their cause/war effort.

#33 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:36 AM

Well crap. That makes the US a pretty big terror force.

The dictionary says "The use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, usually for political reasons."

The Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001 (renewed in 2006) says that it's considered "domestic terrorism" if the act appears to be intended to: (i) intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination or kidnapping.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#34 User is offline   Grinov Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE (Slade @ Oct 10 2006, 01:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001 (renewed in 2006) says that it's considered "domestic terrorism" if the act appears to be intended to: (i) intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination or kidnapping.

But the United States cant be a terrorist forces because they didn’t know that they were killing civilians when they bombed the Residential blocks in downtown Baghdad. That area was full of Terrorists I tell ya!

#35 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Oct 6 2006, 02:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
George Bush said to those of his allies who opposed an invasion of Iraq "If you're not with us, you're against us," essentially threatening more hysterical hatemongering such as was leveled at the French governemtn when it resisted an invasion of Afghanistan. I still remember "Freedom Fries," and restaurateurs making a big show of not selling French wine.

now that really shits me.

so america takes the liberty to make fun of france for the last few decades implying that they're terminal cowards and crap at war, when they say they're not into invading some place and america cracks the shits with them.

in what fucking reality does that make sense?!?

no offence, but no wonder the US has so many bloody enemies. tongue.gif

#36 User is offline   MyPantsAreOnFire Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:15 AM

so america takes the liberty to make fun of france for the last few decades

Though to be fair, let's not pretend that America has the market cornered on "France/French jokes."

Personally, I got the biggest kick out of people boycotting "French's Mustard."

French's is an American manufacturer of prepared mustard condiment. Created by Robert Timothy French, French's mustard debuted to the world at the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair.

Idiots.

It's almost as fun to listen to a guy like Bill O'Reilly, who is STILL pushing a boycott of anything French and is convinced his actions have damaged the French economy. I'd go into that fallacy of this further, but there's already a book that sums it up perfectly:

This post has been edited by MyPantsAreOnFire: 10 October 2006 - 08:19 AM

#37 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:17 PM

He doesn't really have any redeeming qualities except to show how well someone can pander fully and completely to the every whim and fallacy of right-wing propaganda.

Back on not topic, many Americans are idiots. However, a good half still don't buy into silliness like Freedom Fries.

Back on topic, uh... Terrorism is rather politically ineffectual in places like the US. It encourages the governments that people who commit the acts don't like to be more draconian. It scares the people, but doesn't seem to achieve the proper political aims...
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#38 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (MyPantsAreOnFire @ Oct 10 2006, 08:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Though to be fair, let's not pretend that America has the market cornered on "France/French jokes."

but to be realistic, no one else gave them shit for it and boycotted stuff.

it's like this.

PERSON#1: 'you're a clumsy retard! you break everything you touch! you're a dumb fuck, fuck!... now hold this delicate pricless vase, clumsy retard!'
PERSON#2: 'eh... mayby i shouldn't'
PERSON#1: 'how dare you, you fucking traitor clums-ass retard!'

see, how that just doesn't work for me.

QUOTE (Slade @ Oct 10 2006, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Back on not topic, many Americans are idiots. However, a good half still don't buy into silliness like Freedom Fries.

well.. half the people in a quarter of the states. tongue.gif otherwise elections would be a little closer.

#39 User is offline   MyPantsAreOnFire Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:33 PM

but to be realistic, no one else gave them shit for it and boycotted stuff.

Not many people boycotted much of anything.

I suppose most here will just take it as nitpicking, but it's getting to really irk me whenever I hear "the Americans did..." or "America does..." or some other generalization. It pisses me off when I hear other Americans doing it about the rest of the world, so it's just as disheartening to hear non-Americans doing it right back. This isn't some misplaced jingoistic sentiment...I really don't see the point of such blatant hypocritical statments. This is a huge country with a ton of very different people...we're not all the same.

Barend, this isn't directed at you, it's just a general rant. It just makes it very disheartening to want to see anything change when you see people trying so hard to seemingly be as willfully ignorant as the people at home that are pissing you off.

This post has been edited by MyPantsAreOnFire: 10 October 2006 - 09:41 PM

#40 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:22 AM

I agree with that. Most citizens of the United States don't live up to the stereotype. However, them that do, boy do they ever. I was talking to a random stranger in a bar in Vegas, and when I told him I was Canadian, he asked me "Do you have many niggers up there? I heard you didn't." I have not once heard open racism like that from a Canadian. It seems your tolerance for open racism is greater than ours, which allows nonsense like bombing Iraq to root out Al Qaeda, and craziness like Freedom Fries and this apparent boycott of French's Mustard, a whole new insanity I'd never heard of before.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#41 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:29 AM

QUOTE (MyPantsAreOnFire @ Oct 10 2006, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not many people boycotted much of anything.

I suppose most here will just take it as nitpicking, but it's getting to really irk me whenever I hear "the Americans did..." or "America does..." or some other generalization. It pisses me off when I hear other Americans doing it about the rest of the world, so it's just as disheartening to hear non-Americans doing it right back. This isn't some misplaced jingoistic sentiment...I really don't see the point of such blatant hypocritical statments. This is a huge country with a ton of very different people...we're not all the same.

Barend, this isn't directed at you, it's just a general rant. It just makes it very disheartening to want to see anything change when you see people trying so hard to seemingly be as willfully ignorant as the people at home that are pissing you off.

just for the record, i'm not putting america on trial. that's so far from what my point was about.

i just found it socially amusing, within the context of the situation, that anyone would be offended by a group they openly mocked as cowards and people disasterously bad at war, not showing interest in assisting in a war.

it really does boggle the mind.

it doesn't matter that it was americans, or how much of the world bags on the french, the point was about having one's cake and eating it too.

with or without mustard.

This post has been edited by barend: 11 October 2006 - 02:29 AM

#42 User is offline   MyPantsAreOnFire Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Oct 11 2006, 01:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with that. Most citizens of the United States don't live up to the stereotype. However, them that do, boy do they ever. I was talking to a random stranger in a bar in Vegas, and when I told him I was Canadian, he asked me "Do you have many niggers up there? I heard you didn't." I have not once heard open racism like that from a Canadian. It seems your tolerance for open racism is greater than ours, which allows nonsense like bombing Iraq to root out Al Qaeda, and craziness like Freedom Fries and this apparent boycott of French's Mustard, a whole new insanity I'd never heard of before.

I suppose a lot of it might be perceived as laziness...I look at it as this country is so big and so spread out with so many people you're bound to be stuck with some downright stupid and ignorant people, no matter what you do or say. Living here in DC I can drive in almost any direction for only about 45 minutes and I'm suddenly neck-deep in very stereotypical "redneck" country, where you'd think the American civil war never ended.

The mentality that pushed the Iraq war is much, MUCH different than the boycotts or the racist CN2 was describing. While no less stupid, it's much more calculating and dangerous. THAT I feel something needs to be done about, ASAP...the others...sadly, the original idea, naive as it may be, is those opinions can coexist with other opinions as long as they're not actually hurting someone else. They may disgust me, but that kind of "speech" is supposed to be protected up to a certain point. I just fear that it's THOSE kind of people and incidents that non-Americans focus on and lump the rest of us in with.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size