• (2 Pages)
  • +

Pan's Labyrinth

#1 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:09 AM

If you haven't seen it yet, do yourself a favour and do so as soon as you possibly can. It's a remarkable film.

#2 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:07 AM

No one wants to see it with me ("damned foreign films" mentality, and the only friends I have that would have liked to see it with me already saw it) sad.gif And I can't go see a movie by myself...
Anyone up for a road trip to SC to watch a wonderful movie???
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#3 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:16 AM

Sorry dear, but I really don't have that kind of money right now. sad.gif

So, what's this movie about? Why's it so good? I didn't hear of it as of yet.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#4 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:37 AM

But you'd do it if you could, right? tongue.gif

And as far as the movie, I fear IMDB and the trailers can do that better than I, especially since I haven't seen it. So here's for your convenience: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457430/

This post has been edited by Spoon Poetic: 02 February 2007 - 10:38 AM

I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#5 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Feb 2 2007, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But you'd do it if you could, right? tongue.gif

Most certainly I would.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#6 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 03 February 2007 - 02:59 PM

God damn, Spoon, I'm tempted to drive down there just to drag your ass out. Pan's Labyrinth is easily the best film I have seen in years, and I have seen a lot of films.

Of course, I'm not actually going to do that, with the driving and the dragging and the whatnot, so you'd best 'splain: why can't you see a film by yourself? What's the big deal? It's not like you can talk during the movie! You'll find you see a lot more movies once you lose the idea that there's anything essentially social about the experience. Sure, it's fun to talk afterwards, but if you missed out on seeing it with those friends who've already been, go watch it and then talk to them about it. Or if that's no good, then go watch it and come back here! I for one would be delighted to chat with you about it.

Of course, if there's a law in SC about women seeing films without male accompaniment, then you can always drive West (don't go to NC; it sucks). tongue.gif
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#7 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:44 PM

I don't like seeing movies by myself because it just seems wrong to make the half mile trek to the car, drive twenty minutes to the nearest movie theater, shell out $8, tread on sticky theater floors, watch a 2 hour movie, be annoyed by jackasses in the theater, drive another thirty minutes and walk another half mile, this time uphill, and get back to work - all in lonely silence. Now, if the movie were accessible from my dorm room, that'd be different; I could watch it alone and at my convenience. --But I'm not about to pirate it.
Is it suitable for 9-year olds? Maybe I could take my brother next time I go home.

#8 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:47 AM

Hmm. You have to park 20 minutes away? Well, maybe you can see the movie before your next shopping trip. Or see it with your brother because yes, I'd take a 9-year-old (you may have to explain some of it afterward).
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#9 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (Heccubus @ Feb 2 2007, 04:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you haven't seen it yet, do yourself a favour and do so as soon as you possibly can. It's a remarkable film.

I'm working on it Heccubus, I'm working on it.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#10 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:25 PM

Saw it as of February 7, 2007. Great flick. God bless Guillermo Del Toro.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#11 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Feb 4 2007, 05:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or see it with your brother because yes, I'd take a 9-year-old (you may have to explain some of it afterward).

What!? There's no way I'd take a 9-year-old unless they were the most unbelievably stable child that has every existed in the history of everything. Not only is there a 100% chance that the monsters in the film would scare the shit out of anything under the age of 12, but there's a considerable amount of graphic violence, disturbing imagery, and on top of it all there's no way that any average 9-year-old is going to sit through a subtitled movie.

#12 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:31 AM

Hmm, that's true... He's a smart kid, but I didn't think about the subtitles. He might not be able to read them fast enough even if he didn't care that he had to read them. And I didn't realize it was that scary. Yeah, no little brother for this movie, thanks Hecc.

Maybe I will just see it by myself, if it really is that good. *sigh*

#13 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:27 PM

Go and see this film! As Civ#2 said it is one ofthe best films produced in the last few years. I'm with Hecc though, I wouldn't take a 9 year old unless they had shown that they can handle some pretty graphic imagery and then I'd also have to be questioning how this ability came about in the first place in someone so young... but I digress.

Spoony, you will find that this film will be worth the clear pain you must go through in order to watch a film. Do yourself the favour.

I saw it in December of last year. It probably doesn't have to be seen on a big screen, but I certainly enjoyed the emersive effect that a theatre provided. The mix of fantasy and brutal reality seemed to really envelope me.

Anyway, go and see it so we can all talk about it more. I've already got to come get $5 from you, don't make me have to make two trips...
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#14 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:05 PM

You could always come see it with me, and I'd give you the $5, all in one trip! It'd make your trip here a little less ridiculous, right? smile.gif

#15 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Feb 10 2007, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You could always come see it with me, and I'd give you the $5, all in one trip! It'd make your trip here a little less ridiculous, right? smile.gif

You have a point there, I just wasn't sure I'd be over in time before it left the theatre. But I tell you what. If I am in town and it's still running, I'll take you to see it. Is that a fair enough deal?
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size