Chefelf.com Night Life: Microwave Ovens - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

Microwave Ovens

#1 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:48 PM

Now then there are some situations on when I need to use a microwave for food that I can’t reheat conveniently under a grill or cooker. So recently I threw away a microwave oven I had six years ago. Someone last year gave me their old microwave which they didn't use as much and I stored it away for another person who didn’t take it.

What is so special about this is the comparison between the two.

I remember a microwave oven either having a wheel based mechanism for adjusting the settings or a digital display with a keypad consisting of a number pad from 0 - 9.

The microwave that was brought six years ago was just a mistake. It is a small 850 watt green coloured microwave and as far as economics go there were only several buttons such as one for minutes and one for seconds. There was no (clear) way or opening to replace the light bulb. The light bulb blew in the first year and it has limited cooking settings.

For six years most of the food I put in there kept on bursting violently whilst cooking for the first couple of seconds which made terrible mess inside. Plates of food always get half cooked on one side and with vegetables they tasted overcooked.

The microwave that was given to me is larger, 1200 watts, white in colour, display and keypad with number selection 0-9, functions such as reheat and with noticeably a rectangular large push door button.

According to the label on the back this microwave was manufactured in 1988 and even though it looks quite new it needed a good cleaning and the light bulb still works. Conveniently there is a little opening panel by the side to replace the bulb. Unfortunately the display is a bit too dim to read far back in bright light and the loud beeping sounds upon cooking. Another concern I have is to look into radiation leaks and the fan that blows the air underneath.

For cooking of the food it is excellent. My curry and roast dinners were accurately cooked and didn’t burst a single time so far and the food on my plate does not feel like a tropical climate. It is true that sometimes the best things are free, if it is not made poorly.

I go into local shops and most of the things I see look beyond new. Economics comes in and limits the settings, takes away the number pad and makes them look.. you might have guessed it... prreeettty!!! and trreeendy!!! It agitates me for the insulting and demeaning methods they use to disguise poorly made junk as something more important by the looks.

Who has the same problems with microwaves?

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size