Chefelf.com Night Life: Abandonia - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Abandonia

#31 User is offline   Centurion Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:42 AM

http://www.old-games.ru/ Dont' forget choose english language right-up corner flag

All free but limited download band, so would take some time

#32 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:It depends on my current psychosis.

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (Blueskirt @ Nov 7 2006, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Other than games reviews, there's nothing you can find there which you can't find on eastern european abandonware websites...

Links, please?

#33 User is offline   Blueskirt Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Guarding pies

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:33 PM

I had a whole lot easier time finding old games back before I started to give away my collection of links to anyone I met who asked for links, and discovered the websites were shutdown 2 weeks later. wink.gif

The only thing I can tell you is: Google Germany, Russia, Hungary, Sweden, Estonia are your friends.
So is Altavista's Babelfish. And use the "search only for [country's language] websites" option.

To know if a website is good or not, if they offer any of the 11 first LucasArts SCUMM games or any Sierra games which has more than 16 colors, then it's a good website.

But Abandonia, C:Dos and company are ways overrated. It's the most popular and easiest to find, but you're screwed when you're looking for a game protected by ESA. And even if in the kingdom of abandonware, the ones with the most links are kings, if I had to choose between Abandonia or my best eastern european website, to take one with me in the afterlife, I would certainly not choose Abandonia.

#34 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:51 PM

If anyone finds "Raptor: Call of the Shadows" or "Xenophage" somewhere, please let me know. Underdogs or paysites doesn't count.

QUOTE (Blueskirt @ Nov 7 2006, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's the most popular and easiest to find, but you're screwed when you're looking for a game protected by ESA.

Am I smelling piracy in the air?

#35 User is offline   Dan_N_GameZ Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Red Dwarf, AGS, programming in VB, Yahtzee etc.

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:49 AM

Aharrr, we be shivering the timbers o' the publishers, the scurvy dogs... And Blueskirt be right... Abandonia did 'ave at one point or another have those classics, but the swines at ESA went through them like grog through a steel mug. Fortunately, remakes are being made of the classics. Free remakes. *coughkingsquest1vgacough*

Now were be my mug o' grog? And where be my crew o' lilly livered sea bases? We set sail for the island of ESA to pillage an' plunder!

This post has been edited by Dan_N_GameZ: 08 November 2006 - 03:59 AM

"Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back, in one o' dose TOP SECRET LAB-MOTORIES de gubbnint keep stashed away underneath Virginia, an EVIL PRINCE, occasion'ly employed as a part-time THEATRICAL CRITICIZER set to woikin' on a plot fo de systematic GENOCIDICAL REMOVE'LANCE of all unwanted highly-rhythmic individj'lls an' sissy-boys!" (Prologue, Thing-Fish)

Quoting other forumers in your signature seems to be the latest craze around here...

My Last.FM profile.

#36 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:09 AM

No way, I don't want ANYTHING from those bastards.

#37 User is offline   Blueskirt Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2006 - 07:25 AM

Am I smelling piracy in the air?

It's up to you put the various factors in play, put 'em in the balance of right or wrong and make your own decisions.

Now that Ron Gilbert, Hal Barwood, Scott Murphy, Mark Crowe, The Coles, Al Lowe and company have all been fired from their respective companies and got their franchize and universes ripped from their hands and handled to a bunch of greedy corporations who just plan to keep them dead, throw cease and desists to anyone making fan games, or revive them to a shadow of what they were before, just to stir the sauce and get more money from their "investment", do you seriously think buying the game now will earn any of those good persons I mentionned above any money?

Considering the number of time in your life where you bought these games or gotten them with countless of demo CD distributed in magazines (I think I got the 2 first Monkey Island games 3 times that way), but lost or damaged the CDs or floppy, don't you feel entitled the right to download these for free now? If not, bring into the balance the right you have to make backup copies of your games in case the original CDs or floppies are lost or damaged, suppose you did not make backup but the backup are more or less available on the internet now, isn't that kinda like the same as if you made backups? (minus you buying floppies, CDs or a CD burner, but it should be the floppies/CDs/burners companies which should protest in this case)

But officially it will always be piracy, careless if it's moral or not. Oh, but I did not post a link, did I? wink.gif

If anyone finds "Raptor: Call of the Shadows" or "Xenophage" somewhere, please let me know. Underdogs or paysites doesn't count.

I found them both, in less than a minute, on the same website. The one I said I'd bring in the afterlife, and the one which offer those *thunder* ESA protected games.

#38 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2006 - 08:56 AM

No! Piracy is wrong. You stealing games from the companies that gave their effort making them. It's entirely out of character. If it was you, as a game company boss, you wouldn't like to know that someone in a forum is defending your games to be stolen.

It's not right. It is just not.... right... Did you find Raptor? Full version? It's not a paysite, is it? Wait a minute, what am I saying.... no.... It's wrong... argh... all the four episodes? NOOO.... Not now... STAY AWAY FROM MEEE.... eeek...

*gots possessed by evil spirit*

Hey, have I mentioned before that Brazil is one of the champions in software piracy today? Just tell me country and how are "download" and "search" spelled in its language, and I make my way.

#39 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:00 AM

I think we've lost him.

#40 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:29 AM

sad.gif Up until now, I was actually kind of glad that we never seemed to have him in the first place...

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#41 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:12 AM

Those bastards at ESA are really fucking quick. The Bard's Tale trilogy was put on yesterday, and today they're already protected (because you can actually buy them, included in the collector's edition).

#42 User is offline   Blueskirt Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:26 AM

Told ya they utterly failed at keeping a low profile, either they're straight into ESA's target, or some Bard's Tales fanboys gave them away to the ESA. Somehow remind me of indie bands selling out to be mainstream.

On a different note, I started to receive spam PM from lurkers begging for me to give them my links. biggrin.gif

#43 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2006 - 12:31 PM

Your first stepping stone to greatness and universal popularity. wink.gif

#44 User is offline   BernieLaraemie Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Games, music, humour, writing, movies and games.

Posted 11 November 2006 - 02:46 PM

People will do anything to get their hands on Monkey Island 3. Well, anything but pay for it, anyway.

#45 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2006 - 07:05 PM

Before some jerk think so, I have never sent any PM to Blueskirt.

By the way, Blueskirt, you totally rock. I have got Raptor with an estonian "friend".

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size