• +
  • Last »

Abandonia

#1 User is offline   Walexei Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 10 September 2006 - 11:41 AM

Today i stumbled upon a rather wonderfull website that some of you may already know of, called Abandonia. located at www.abandonia.com they stock a rather large database of downloadable Dos classics, including a gem I got earlier: Kyrandia. Some of these are protected and non downloadable but most are availible, also included there are Kings quest 1 and 2, the 2003 VGA remakes, making a once amazing game playable again due to it not looking like horseshit anymore.

Also if you go there and click the adventure section on the sidebar, you will see 2 very well known Ben Crowshaw games as the 2 top voted in that area.

Have fun

This post has been edited by Walexei: 10 September 2006 - 11:42 AM

#2 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:08 PM

Yes, but if you have broadband internet then perhaps the underdogs site is better. That features Yahtzee's games as well. biggrin.gif

EDIT: By the way, the VGA remakes of King's Quest (especially the second one) don't just look better but have an enhanced plot, too.

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 10 September 2006 - 01:09 PM

#3 User is offline   Dan_N_GameZ Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Red Dwarf, AGS, programming in VB, Yahtzee etc.

Posted 10 September 2006 - 03:46 PM

Yes, I've frequented abandonia for wow, almost a year now, even longer I guess. It is a good site. Although it doesn't have so much games (compared to underdogs) the sheer quality level is very high. The good thing is that it is updates with games quite frequently. It's sister-site, Abandonia Reloaded, is quite good and up and coming.
And aren't the original King's Quest games ESA protected? I thought that the only copies left were being sold on eBay (although I haven't been there and never will go there).
"Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back, in one o' dose TOP SECRET LAB-MOTORIES de gubbnint keep stashed away underneath Virginia, an EVIL PRINCE, occasion'ly employed as a part-time THEATRICAL CRITICIZER set to woikin' on a plot fo de systematic GENOCIDICAL REMOVE'LANCE of all unwanted highly-rhythmic individj'lls an' sissy-boys!" (Prologue, Thing-Fish)

Quoting other forumers in your signature seems to be the latest craze around here...

My Last.FM profile.

#4 User is offline   Walexei Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:32 PM

The original Kings quest games are ESA protected, however the VGA remakes are not, they are located on AR.

If anybody can tell me where to get Kings Quest 5 and 6 id be very very gratefull as I loved those games, they are however ESA protected.

Dan, if these types of games intrest you try the Kyrandia series, That being Kyrandia, Hand of fate and malcolms revenge. These games are my childhood.

#5 User is offline   Dan_N_GameZ Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Red Dwarf, AGS, programming in VB, Yahtzee etc.

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (Walexei @ Sep 11 2006, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The original Kings quest games are ESA protected, however the VGA remakes are not, they are located on AR.

Yes, well, I thought you were reffering to the originals. The VGA remakes are everywhere, man.
Dan, if these types of games intrest you try the Kyrandia series, That being Kyrandia, Hand of fate and malcolms revenge. These games are my childhood.

Not really, I prefer more modern and sci-fi games. King's Quest and even Discworld are exceptions as they are really very modern, but set in a time long ago. Well, that is to say, except Discworld, 'cause that is set on a turtle. But it's really funny.
"Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back, in one o' dose TOP SECRET LAB-MOTORIES de gubbnint keep stashed away underneath Virginia, an EVIL PRINCE, occasion'ly employed as a part-time THEATRICAL CRITICIZER set to woikin' on a plot fo de systematic GENOCIDICAL REMOVE'LANCE of all unwanted highly-rhythmic individj'lls an' sissy-boys!" (Prologue, Thing-Fish)

Quoting other forumers in your signature seems to be the latest craze around here...

My Last.FM profile.

#6 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:It depends on my current psychosis.

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:02 AM

I tried to download many games from underdogs unsuccesfully. The download rate is just too slow! And they dont even allow you to use some download manager.

On the other hand, I've downloaded many games from abandonia and abandonia reloaded, including all 3 Yaz games. I wouldnt even know that you guys exist if it wasnt for abandonia.com . They just rock.

#7 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:27 AM

I never said abandonia was bad, I love it, I check it out every day. The underdogs site is slow due to the extremely heavy traffic that goes on there. smile.gif That's why I said one should have a broadband connection for that site.

#8 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:43 AM

Thats a good hour to say that fullyramblomatic really needs some more marketing. I said that before on some other topic and Im gonna say again: I wouldn't even know that Trilby's notes existed if I hadn't seen it in reloaded.org recent additions section.

#9 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:49 AM

That was why I was forcing this game translations topic a few weeks ago, it's always a good incentive for people to try out a (FREE!) game which has been translated to their language.

#10 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:10 AM

Translations are a good start, but they are not enough. I mean, language is not the problem. My younger brother played half of 7DAS and he speak english as much as I speak russian. Let's say there was a hungarian version of all fullyramblomatic games.
How would the hungarian people know that?

Let me put it in other terms: how did you find fullyramblomatic? How many other hungarians can walk the same path as you did?

There are only 16 people in the orkut community for 5DAS, and thats the greatest one. What can we or Yaz do about this?

This post has been edited by Nostaw: 11 September 2006 - 09:11 AM

#11 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:47 AM

Well, what I had in mind was to call in a favour from a friend of mine who knows a guy who works at PC Guru (the most popular Hungarian computer game magazine), to ask him to direct this guy to Yahtzee's site. If this person is impressed with the whole thing (and why wouldn't he be), he could perhaps ask Yahtz for permission to put some of his games on the attachment CD, with the translation included. This would advertise both AGS and Yahtzee in Hungary.

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 11 September 2006 - 10:48 AM

#12 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:54 PM

Good, this can increase the number of hungarians here in the forum, but what about the rest of the world? My idea was to find out a site to advertise FR.com. But you know what? This is Yaz job, not ours. Let's just keep this forum as a special place only for special people.

#13 User is offline   leperking Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:16 AM

Abandonia kinda sucks. They post as many shitty games as they can find because they're trying to be "the best" abandonware site... in fact on their other "abandonware site review" site or whatever, they list themselves as the best one. They make no mention of Underdogs whatsoever (which until recently WAS the best, set back only by lack of updates now)... and their reviewers are hopelessly inept. They are pretentious assholes with no concept of gaming or what's good. Fuck 'em.
I'm just here to point out your shortcomings and stupidity.

#14 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE (Nostaw @ Sep 11 2006, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good, this can increase the number of hungarians here in the forum, but what about the rest of the world? My idea was to find out a site to advertise FR.com. But you know what? This is Yaz job, not ours. Let's just keep this forum as a special place only for special people.

Well, I was trying to encourage people to do the same thing. Translation wouldn't be the sole reason to spread the seed quicker, but it'd definitely be a catalyst. Among the many thousand people who visit here must be someone with power to influence someone else who can do something that'd boost Yahtzee's recognition around the world.

#15 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (David-kyo @ Sep 12 2006, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Among the many thousand people who visit here must be someone with power to influence someone else who can do something that'd boost Yahtzee's recognition around the world.

Many thousand? I'd be surprised if more than a dozen people read this topic name within the next 30 days.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size