• Group: Members
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:41 AM

Dunno, 3d Studio, perhaps? biggrin.gif

#32 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:It depends on my current psychosis.

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:59 PM

That's it. 3d graphics for a 2d game. Ok, let's say he wants to keep the cartoon style. There are many tools for drawing cartoons including Corel Draw or even Flash. Photoshop is good for manipulating existing photos but not for drawing. Or maybe he just need some time.

#33 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 11 September 2006 - 02:19 PM

3D graphics... should only be created and used by people who know what they're doing. Look at your fanpic for example, you wouldn't want to see that in a game. Too much horror, you see? People wouldn't stop puking. Dunno if Mr. Yahtzee's into that stuff.
Corel Draw and Flash do make drawing cartoons easier, yes. Mainly for people who don't want to get too much into the matter. Photoshop still does the job, too. Sometimes even more efficiently, but I guess that depends on the style you're using.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#34 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2006 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (Nostaw @ Sep 11 2006, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But, compared to modern top-line games, like, lets say, Half-life 2, his graphics suck.

Excuse me for saying so but that is a very shallow view. If you believe graphics maketh the game, then I think you're in the wrong place. And anyway, the adventure gaming genre was borne out of interactive fiction, and both rely on the imagination and storytelling for pleasure, rather than believable graphical depictions. Isn't that right, Yahtz...?

#35 User is offline   CJ Marren Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Wrestling, games, books, music, working out,

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:00 PM

Look at it like this - if graphics were so fundemental to a games enjoyability level and/or success, then sites like FullyRamblomatic and developers like Yahtzee would be ignored.

In short, gameplay = paramount.
<!--quoteo(post=174818:date=Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM:name=Cobnat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cobnat @ Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=174818"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Lets all have sex with robots until our groins are sore and bloody!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=169306:date=Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=169306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#483D8B--><span style="color:#483D8B"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->So why the unholy flying purple donkeypunching fuck will it not work on yours? Just what kind of machine are you running there? Your toaster?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And the man again!
<!--quoteo(post=180859:date=Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=180859"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In my opinion it's saying, fuck the lightsabers and special effects and fuck your voiceovers and fuck your stupid multimilliondollar game studios; you don't need any of those to make brilliant and scary games that will fuck with your head.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<u><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->My Getting Huge Progress (Gym and weight gain diet)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></u>
<b>May '07:</b> 11st (154lbs)
<b>August '07:</b> 12st 7lbs (175lbs)
<b>November '07:</b> 12st 9lbs (177lbs)
<b>December '07:</b> 12st 11lbs (179lbs)
<b>January '08:</b> 12st 12lbs (180lbs)
<b>Febuary '08:</b> 13st 2lbs (184lbs)
<b>March '08:</b> 13st 7lbs (189lbs)

#36 User is offline   Stalky Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:11 PM

Yahtzees graphics technically don't 'suck' compared to HL2. Aesthetically inferior, yeah, you could say that...but loading times are instantaneous, the game file size is smaller, they require pc specifications of next to nothing.

The AGS style does have some benefits.

#37 User is offline   Millitant Pacifist Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:24 PM

I'd play Yahtzee's games if they were text adventures. They're good because of the quality of the writing and the well-designed puzzles. The graphics give you a setting and a vague idea of the character's appearance. Everything else is just sprinkles on top. Elaborate 3D graphics would look pretty, but you don't need them and it doesn't affect the gameplay if they aren't there.

Personally, I like the sparse style Yahtzee's gone with. It's harder to do than it looks. (If you don't agree, try making a room and a couple of sprites that could fit in a Yahtzee game. Then you can complain that he doesn't make all his games look like Half-Life 2)

EDIT: Also, from the room shown I'm not so sure the new game is set in the future. It looks like a modern-day office to me. There's no futuristic computer console on the desk or anything. Although the desk looks quite like the one Trilby was writing at in Notes. It would explain the blood on the bed too- wasn't his chest bandaged and bloodstained at the end of the game?

Maybe this is just wishful thinking, though, because I want to see more of Trilby.

This post has been edited by Millitant Pacifist: 11 September 2006 - 05:51 PM

Use [rifle] on [clocktower].

#38 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (Nostaw @ Sep 11 2006, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But, compared to modern top-line games, like, lets say, Half-life 2, his graphics suck. But I can't do

Right, and compared to the Mona Lisa, my drawings from last year suck, who cares? I'll bet mine have 100% more humor value. In short, what I'm saying is that you don't need to look all flashy to be awesome.

Be like me, suck at drawing, rock at life.

Edit: Or at least suck slightly less at life.

This post has been edited by Otal Nimrodi: 11 September 2006 - 06:08 PM

Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#39 User is offline   EkkieBurt Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 12 September 2006 - 05:54 AM

I know that Yahtzee’s main interest is in making 2D adventure games, but I feel that if he managed to get hold of some first person 3D game engine, he could take a horror game theme to a whole new level. How long these games would take to make is still to be debated.
-Hell is other people...-

#40 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2006 - 06:09 AM

...when it's done?

#41 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2006 - 06:11 AM

Man, it's just wonderful to speak to someone that doesn't read your posts. Where did I say that Yaz should make a 3d game? Where did I say that graphics make a game? Or even that they are fundamental? Where did I complain? angry.gif

Read before replying, that's a forum rule.

#42 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:36 AM

I know what message you were trying to put across, it's just that you expressed yourself in a way that is easy to misunderstand.

#43 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:40 AM

- To make something even better, he needs better tools;

- Better tools make better graphics, and that's cool;

compared to modern top-line games, like, lets say, Half-life 2, his graphics suck

From these quotes, one can infer your support of the last three points you just said. The fact you keep saying they 'suck' is obviously a complaint or exp​ression of dissatisfaction. You didn't say Yahtzee should make a 3D game, but then again no-one said you did.

However, if I or anyone else misunderstood what you said I apologise on our behalfs.

#44 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:36 PM

Never mind.

Let's now try to calculate how much time Yaz needs to finish his new game.

We know that there is one background ready. Only ten million more to go, according to himself. Let's say one background needs 2 hours to be finished. That's 20 million hours. And he doesn't even know the word "irony", right?
Now the characters. 50 is a good number. Considering that the graphics are ready (what's probably not true) then it would be necessary about 1 day to prepare each one. He doesn't make the sounds so it's about one week to "find" them all.
And the scripting, about one entire month for the entire game.
Did you calculate everything? Now double the result for the testing. And double it again, beacuse he needs to breath. What is the result?

#45 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:50 PM

The game will be done when we least expect it.

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size