• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Sneak Peak of New Game

#16 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Being infested by parasites. Fighting members of the Kennedy family, kidnapping the President's daughter. Moaning.<br />

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:00 AM

SO CUTE!

#17 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:53 AM

The question is, will Icey rush to your aid, or release Alex onto you?
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#18 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:24 PM

Actually, it would be interesting if there was a game that had one of the cult's initiates as a protagonist, thus introducing us to the "moral set of values" of the Order. Like that RPG Maker 2000 game that featured a minotaur as the main character, fighting do-gooder anime adventurers alongside their monster buddies. That was cool.

#19 User is offline   Dan_N_GameZ Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Red Dwarf, AGS, programming in VB, Yahtzee etc.

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:14 PM

Yes, but what about this: (at the very beginning of the game, even before the intro) in comes the red hooded one. He closes the door and says to himself: "I have to find it. The desk!" and you get control over him. So you get a look arround (while back in reality you ask left and right: What the hell?!) and then the door knob starts to move and you must quickly barricade it. You fling the desk over, stand aside, looking with fear in your eyes at the door. Then it flungs through the room, desk and all. In the doorway a man much like yourself (hooded, that is) comes in and says: "Well, we finally meet. Get him!" and two other hooded men grab you and pull towards the first hooded man. He rips your face from your to reveal that you are: Trilby! "A pleasure indeed." says the first hooded man, and you are dragged out of the room. Intro comes in... bla bla bla... game.

Can't think of anything for the 7DAS version. But maybe it'll come to me...
"Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back, in one o' dose TOP SECRET LAB-MOTORIES de gubbnint keep stashed away underneath Virginia, an EVIL PRINCE, occasion'ly employed as a part-time THEATRICAL CRITICIZER set to woikin' on a plot fo de systematic GENOCIDICAL REMOVE'LANCE of all unwanted highly-rhythmic individj'lls an' sissy-boys!" (Prologue, Thing-Fish)

Quoting other forumers in your signature seems to be the latest craze around here...

My Last.FM profile.

#20 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:25 AM

Just don't, and say you did.
Please.

#21 User is offline   CJ Marren Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Wrestling, games, books, music, working out,

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:00 AM

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know if Yahtzee tinkers with any other programs besides the one used to create 1213, X Days a Y, and so on? (the name won't come to me at the moment!)

I'm asking because it'd be interesting to see what gameplay and graphic changes would lead to in his games.
<!--quoteo(post=174818:date=Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM:name=Cobnat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cobnat @ Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=174818"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Lets all have sex with robots until our groins are sore and bloody!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=169306:date=Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=169306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#483D8B--><span style="color:#483D8B"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->So why the unholy flying purple donkeypunching fuck will it not work on yours? Just what kind of machine are you running there? Your toaster?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And the man again!
<!--quoteo(post=180859:date=Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=180859"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In my opinion it's saying, fuck the lightsabers and special effects and fuck your voiceovers and fuck your stupid multimilliondollar game studios; you don't need any of those to make brilliant and scary games that will fuck with your head.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<u><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->My Getting Huge Progress (Gym and weight gain diet)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></u>
<b>May '07:</b> 11st (154lbs)
<b>August '07:</b> 12st 7lbs (175lbs)
<b>November '07:</b> 12st 9lbs (177lbs)
<b>December '07:</b> 12st 11lbs (179lbs)
<b>January '08:</b> 12st 12lbs (180lbs)
<b>Febuary '08:</b> 13st 2lbs (184lbs)
<b>March '08:</b> 13st 7lbs (189lbs)

#22 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:26 AM

He uses Adventure Game Studio (AGS) at the moment, and I'm pretty sure he used to make games with AGI, which is a program with what one can create text parser adventures like those Sierra games (Police Quest, Larry, etc.) back in the eighties. He also uses music from the RPG Maker 2000 runtime package, but I do not know of any games he'd made with that (which is a pity, because as a user of that engine I must say that in the right hands it's capable of miracles).

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 11 September 2006 - 06:27 AM

#23 User is offline   Yahtzee Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:50 AM

I messed around with RPG Maker for a bit, but it wasn't flexible enough for my liking. You could only make one kind of game with one kind of graphics. It'd be more stimulating to make an RPG with AGS.
As I walked through the valley of the shadow of death, I realised that it could do with a lick of paint.

#24 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:It depends on my current psychosis.

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:54 AM

For now, I dont think he should use any other game engine. Yaz makes AGS games like no one else, and you just have to look at his trophys to see what I mean. Of course, the graphics sux in his games but they're the best they could be and better graphics mean a larger size for the game. Didnt you like to download just 3mb to play TN? Me too.

#25 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:05 AM

What do you mean the graphics suck? I've tried drawing stuff like his and I can never get the shading right. AGS was designed for graphics like that as a tribute to "the adventure games of yesteryear", so considering that I say they're pretty damn good. They've grown to suit the mood, and if Yahtz suddenly changed his style to, I dunno, something like Apprentice, it would seem strange.

#26 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:40 AM

Yeah, I too love the graphics Yahtzee makes. His drawings are not photorealistic, but then again, nor were those of Picasso, and he was considered to be one of the greatest artists of all times. Stupid analogy. Anyway, the graphics of Trilby's Notes were good enough to scare the bejeesus out of people, for instance, the black & white flashbacks where the only colour was blood red made me decide to wear a pair of brown pants. And that was Yahtzee's goal, I believe.

QUOTE (Yahtzee @ Sep 11 2006, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I messed around with RPG Maker for a bit, but it wasn't flexible enough for my liking. You could only make one kind of game with one kind of graphics. It'd be more stimulating to make an RPG with AGS.

Yes, well, the problem with RPG Maker is that if you do not wish to conform to its template systems (battle system, interaction system, etc.) then you have to be a really ingenious game creator in order not to fuck the whole thing up. What scares most people away from this system is that the majority of the games made with it are utter crap. There are a few GREAT games made with RM2k, which have all kinds of custom features, but again, the problem is that you have to dig up tons of shit until you come across a gem.
For instance, I know of a Hungarian group who are famous for their incredibly good games. They don't use AGS, and they're making an adventure game with RM2k at the moment. If any of their games gets translated to English I'll let you all know, they're aiming for a wider audience anyway. We, game developers, wink.gif can learn a lot from each other.

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 11 September 2006 - 07:42 AM

#27 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE (AdamM @ Sep 11 2006, 07:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you mean the graphics suck? I've tried drawing stuff like his and I can never get the shading right.

I understand your point of view. Considering a 320x240 palleted game, Yaz is a Michelangelo.
But, compared to modern top-line games, like, lets say, Half-life 2, his graphics suck. But I can't do anything better with Paintbrush, so I accept it.

#28 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:47 AM

Well, okay, comparing the graphics of TN and Half Life 2 is about as pointless as... something that is completely and utterly pointless.

#29 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:01 AM

I'll make myself clear:

- Yaz is not incompetent, he's doing the best with his tools;

- To make something even better, he needs better tools;

- Better tools make better graphics, and that's cool;

- Better graphics make a bigger game, and that's not cool;

- So, let's just let everything as they are now.

#30 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:19 AM

Better tools don't make better graphics. Better artists make better graphics. He already knows how to use Photoshop, which is simply put one of the best there is. So what kind of tools did you have in mind?

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size