Chefelf.com Night Life: Lucas the Iconoclast - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Lucas the Iconoclast Who did he ruin the most?

#31 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Oh you know the usual....
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:22 AM

Smashed or sober
either way i encourage you to see them.
In my opinion they are far
more superior to Eps. I and II.

I don't understand why more people haven't seen them.

Are they like crazy expensive?
cuz i got both volumes on dvd for around 15 bucks each.
i know they are sold on starwars.com
but i never bothered to see how much

Duct tape is like the force....

There's a lightside, a darkside

and it holds everything together

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#32 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (TruJade @ Nov 10 2006, 12:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Smashed or sober
either way i encourage you to see them.
In my opinion they are far
more superior to Eps. I and II.

I don't understand why more people haven't seen them.

Are they like crazy expensive?
cuz i got both volumes on dvd for around 15 bucks each.
i know they are sold on starwars.com
but i never bothered to see how much

they're not so much crazy expensive as they aren't crazy cheap enough yet.

i'd pay $10AUD for them.

#33 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 13 November 2006 - 04:26 AM

Well by the looks of it
your gonna have to keep waiting

cuz i finally checked starwars.com
and its still asking for a pretty big penny.

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#34 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:41 AM

and i refuse to spend more than they did on they crayons with which they drew it.

#35 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:58 AM

Well, if you're that cheap you can always just download them for free (hey, it's not like they didn't offer them for download officially all that time, you didn't even need to be hyperspace, Cartoon Network had them on their website, and perhaps they still do).

Of course then you won't get the higher quality picture and any extras that were included on the two volumes. So netflix it... wink.gif

#36 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Black belts: aikido, kendo, iaido, jodo. 1987 World Fencing Championships, World University Games participant. Writer: novelist, freelancer. Interestes: Renaissance, religious history, turtles.

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE (TruJade @ Nov 6 2006, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NO, they [female Jedi] didn't [get to kick ass]!
And thats part of my point!

Did anyone read Star Wars on Trail, edited by Stover? In the section on femal characters [Charge: Women in Star Wars are portrayed as fundamentally weak.], Jeanne Cavelos defends the charge and Bill Spangler (tries to) refute it. Cavelos's premise: Women start out as hopeful role models, but then they don't do much in the end. Gangler's premise: Women are strong characters, and I feel good about women after seeing the movies.

Funny though, despite the obvious focus on the men, there is a huge fan base of women who love SW. Had the protagonists been women, SW would've been a chick flick, but would it have gained a large male following?
Author: Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe.

#37 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (njamilla @ Nov 16 2006, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Funny though, despite the obvious focus on the men, there is a huge fan base of women who love SW. Had the protagonists been women, SW would've been a chick flick, but would it have gained a large male following?

I bet it would have. Star Wars would have had a large following if one of the characters was female and completely wasted a planet and Anakin loved her too. Fans of SW films might not have had to cringe through aweful "love" diologue between Anakin and his love interest if they were both Force users and completely unstable with such power. They would both be really dangerous together.

I could see Obi-wan always scolding Anaking for that kind of behavior, not flying ships dangerously close to openly exposed electrical conduits. Seriously, all they had to do was get some really cute and mean as Hell Maory (sp?) chick from New Zealand and have her as a padawan being trained by that blue Twi'lek that wore next to nothing in EP's II and III.

Being that Leia was a "princess" due to the Organa royal family and not because Amidala was elected queen, Anakin and some Hot and Violent Padawan Chick could have pulled this off with success.... but, George Lucas has proabably never dreamed of such an awesome relationship.

#38 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:16 PM

The OT at least had Leia, who was strong enough to make up for being the only female main character. Padme was not. I've often said that she reminds me of Nancy from Oliver Twist, only with less courage and moral fibre. Nancy was ultimately a sympathetic character; Padme was just pathetic.

I don't think strong female characters in the PT would turn off the guys. Bastila Shan, the female Jedi from Knights of the Old Republic, has most of the the male players raving over her - she's beautiful, strong, intelligent, flawed enough to be interesting, and she kicks ass. Basically, she's a female version of what Anakin should have been in the prequels. Honestly, the writing in that game makes Lucas's work look like a 'Learn to read' book for preschoolers ("See Artoo fly. Fly, Artoo, fly!")
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#39 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (Helena @ Nov 16 2006, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think strong female characters in the PT would turn off the guys. Bastila Shan, the female Jedi from Knights of the Old Republic, has most of the the male players raving over her - she's beautiful, strong, intelligent, flawed enough to be interesting, and she kicks ass. Basically, she's a female version of what Anakin should have been in the prequels. Honestly, the writing in that game makes Lucas's work look like a 'Learn to read' book for preschoolers ("See Artoo fly. Fly, Artoo, fly!")

well that saved me a bit of typing... KOTOR 2 has alot of strong female characters... but so did KOTOR 1. and it was done in such a way that it wasn't token or anything. i can't say enough good things about the first one though... that game is superior to anything lucas has ever been affiliated with in the SW world (excluding the OT of course).

Bastilla was hot. and after years of making fun of all the lara croft loving boys, my heart was broken by a VG character,,, sad.gif (for not being real... but choose the darkside, trust me)

#40 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2006 - 01:32 AM

I could not agree with Helena and Barend more! KotOR showed us how the SW universe should be! Bastilla was awesome! And although I didn't care much for Juhani, she still had personality and it was always fun to hear her get angry when you reply "Why do you insist on spewing this trash at me?"

As for KotOR 2, (I finally got through it with patience) Handmaiden, Visas, Kreia, Mira, all of these characters: Female and friggin' awesome in their own right. Especially with Visas voiced by the ever so sexy Kelly Hu. wub.gif Crap, I could see her as a Jedi or Sith as long as Lucas doesn't take the liberty of messing up what Dark Power should be, like we saw with Palpatine in EP III....

#41 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 18 November 2006 - 04:52 AM

Ultimately it all comes to down to KOTOR.

I chose a short hair female as my character. And the story of KOTOR, with her at the helm was more entertaining than all three PT's combined. And thats not an exageration.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 18 November 2006 - 04:52 AM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#42 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:27 PM

The KOTOR are great and all
but Lucas essentially didn't make them cool.

And if he had done any serious work on the female characters
he just would've ruined them

#43 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (TruJade @ Dec 1 2006, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The KOTOR are great and all
but Lucas essentially didn't make them cool.

And if he had done any serious work on the female characters
he just would've ruined them

Dear God, yes. I shudder to think what would have happened to KotOR if Lucas had got his grubby little hands on it (we'll probably see in the unlikely event that they ever decide to make a live-action version). I'm tempted to start a 'KotOR, Lucas-style' thread, just for fun...
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#44 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2006 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (Helena @ Dec 3 2006, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear God, yes. I shudder to think what would have happened to KotOR if Lucas had got his grubby little hands on it (we'll probably see in the unlikely event that they ever decide to make a live-action version). I'm tempted to start a 'KotOR, Lucas-style' thread, just for fun...

Ha ha haaa! Do it! I'll spew out some absurd concepts that are Lucas approved!

#45 User is offline   Bissrok Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (georgelucas4greedo @ Sep 7 2006, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... which character did Lucas ruin the most for you and why?

Vader. It showed us that Luke was wrong and that his father never deserved redemption. Anaking slaughtered children and nearly killed his pregnant wife. That's not a "tragic hero", that's just an a**hole.

So, I'm going with Darth Vader, followed closely by everyone else in the PT.

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size