• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Sarah Connor Chronicles Still flogging the Terminator franchise to death

#16 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:34 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Sep 3 2006, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The gayest hing about that ending is that John Connor becomes a asenator despite a history of violence, including destruction of pribvate property and assault on police officers.

Somebody give this man a gold star, Oscar, Medal of Honour or whatever - he deserves it.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#17 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:19 PM

Wow, what a load of typos in that last post of mine. More than ususal; my excuse is that I was drunk when I typed it.

The dumbest things in T3:

1) The "no metal in the microwave" chick terminator had a flamethrower built into her. So it's not just self-mutating living metal, but somewhere in there is also a supply of gasoline. That is fucking retarded.

2) The way that our heroes learn that the T1000 (or whatever its number is) is that it starts killing off people who will be important to the resistance in the future. THE TERMINATOR Had this awesome paradoxical time travel notion where a thing like that was impossible. In that film the Terminator tried to destroy John Connor by killing Sarah Connor, but the very effort actually caused John Connor to come into being. In T3, this great sci-fi paradox is so utterly reduced that the creature is able to kill the folks it's looking for, and for nothing more than a plot device.

3) The way the critter recognizes its targets is by retina scan. So in the future, the machines have complete records of everyone alive. in THE TERMINATOR, those records were said to have been destroyed, so the machine in that film resorted to killing people with the same name. It used a phone book to find them.

4) The chick terminator could recognize a person also by testing their blood, with its "no complicated machinery" metal-morphing-into-DNA-lab ability. This gave the valley girl actress an opportunity to suck her finger delicately and then tilt her head and say "no," like she just saw a pair of pants at the mall that she decided not to buy. Most annoying was that they had her register surprise when she found the John Connor blood. It looked like she was going to shut down like those computers did on STAR TREK when Spock told them contradictory things.

5) Everything else.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#18 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Sep 3 2006, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most annoying was that they had her register surprise when she found the John Connor blood. It looked like she was going to shut down like those computers did on STAR TREK when Spock told them contradictory things.

No understatements here please, the governator clearly said that it was supposed to be "an orgahsmyc exshperieence for the T-EXSH" in the audio-commentary. It hit her spot, so to say.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#19 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:42 PM

No good can come of this.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#20 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:51 PM

In T3, this great sci-fi paradox is so utterly reduced that the creature is able to kill the folks it's looking for, and for nothing more than a plot device.

What do you mean "nothing more than a plot device"? Are you saying that most of the scenes did nothing for the overall plot (or story?)
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#21 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2006 - 01:37 AM

I mean that the only reason the guy (or gal?) in the Burger King (? who cares?) got killed was to let the heroes know that the Terminator meant business. The purpose was to further the plot, and had nothing to do with STORY. When the Terminator in the first film kills other women named Sarah Connor, this is to further the plot, but the reaon it is doing these killings and the budget method it's using to find its victims is worked into the story. So I mean to say that the way the machine in T3 is able to enact self-destructive paradoxes is just a throw-away scene, not important at all to the science fiction premise or the story.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#22 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:55 AM

What would you say if some said "showing the audience the destructive power T3 did help move story because we learned that it meant business"? This will help me in future debates on films i don't like.

Also, are doing scenes like that considered bad style in film school?
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#23 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:50 AM

There's nothing bad, stylistically, about showing that the monster kills people. This is pretty standard stuff in horror films. The problem I mentioned is that it kills people whose death would have negated its original interst in killing those people, a self-destroying paradox of the kill-your-grandmother variety. Since the premise of the first had been a self-causing paradox of the impregnate-your-grandmother variety, we're dealing with two kinds of story here. TERMINATOR = sci-fi; T2 and moreso T3 = "anything goes" nonsense.

I may be on thin ice with my insistence on the difference between story and plot, but plot as I understand it is just the order that things happen, while story is the events and their significance to places and characters. When I call the killing of the Burger King rep a "plot device," it's because I think it serves no purpose other than to show the heroes that Claire Danes is a target. After that we continue not to care whether it kills anyone, so long as the heroes don't die.

That movie was a shit sandwich with a side of fries.

#24 User is offline   blueoceans Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Sep 2 2006, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
there is no fun to be had in T3, despite Claire Danes acting her pants off

I dont particulary care much for T3, like most of the posters,..but i was impressed with the "arnold-dangling-by-the-large-construction-crane-and-getting-swung-into-buildings" scene.

#25 User is offline   blueoceans Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:44 PM

what t3 really needed was to be released much earlier than 2003,..say maybe no later than 1997,.and to have james cameron direct it. that fact that these two things didnt happen, and when they decided to cast b*tchy claire danes in there,.it just ruined it.

lokken and schwarzenegger gave the best acting performances in the film..although the script and direction of mostow was definetely lackluster, you can still see that lokken and schwarzenegger wanted this to be a great film. the storyline,.if you want to call it that,.was severely lacking, and really did nothing to move the epic forward from the last film.

t3 relied too heavily on the storyline from t2, and took t2 and pretty much toyed and re-hashed it to death. its a shame,..an aweful disappointment to terminator fans everywhere,..because we held out for 12 years for this chapter to arrive and it was nothing but crap.

the action scenes were there..but without a proper storyline,..its just a bunch of fireworks going off for no particular reason.,.it tends to wow the children and confuse the adults in the audience. what the hell is going on here?,..and then there is talk of yet possibly a 4th film,..with the rock to become the new "ah-nuld".....sigh.

#26 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:08 PM

they should do something creative for the 4th film. maybe send back TWO bad terminators at once, to increase the odds of termination.

but no..nothing cool will come out of the 4th film, because Mostow is at the helm of directing it. Instead of something cool, we will probably see the bad terminator played by Verne Troyer (mini-me-nator) and Justin Timberlake as the good Terminator.

dont forget that halfway through the movie, both justin and verne will join together for a special-effect dance sequence to Brad Fidel's score with added techno sounds and trance effects.

This post has been edited by mireaux7: 28 March 2007 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (njamilla @ Feb 23 2008, 08:16 AM)
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

QUOTE (chefelf @ Feb 23 2008, 10:30 AM)
That's what I'm here for.

#27 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (mireaux7 @ Mar 28 2007, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
they should do something creative for the 4th film. maybe send back TWO bad terminators at once, to increase the odds of termination.

No no no, wait, why send 'em back in time? Judgment Day's already passed, no need for time travelling anymore now. Okay, okay, I know, people will complain if the first scene of the movie doesn't show a terminator arrive from the future, but honestly, I'd much rather see the plot develop in the here and now (you know, that "here and now" in the future) then doing that time travelling stuff all over again.

QUOTE (mireaux7 @ Mar 28 2007, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but no..nothing cool will come out of the 4th film, because Mostow is at the helm of directing it. Instead of something cool, we will probably see the bad terminator played by Verne Troyer (mini-me-nator) and Justin Timberlake as the good Terminator.

dont forget that halfway through the movie, both justin and verne will join together for a special-effect dance sequence to Brad Fidel's score with added techno sounds and trance effects.

... that would be quite cool, too, I guess. Sorta like Scary Movie. smile.gif

#28 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Limited Members
  • Interests:James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter

Posted 04 August 2007 - 12:07 AM

T4 will follow off from The Sarah Connor Chronicles, with T3 being something that happened in an alternate timeline... blink.gif

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with Hollywood? angry.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born
And once when you look death in the face.

--Ian Fleming

#29 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:46 AM

All anyone needs to know about this show is that it is LAME!!!

I really dont see how they're going to be able to come up with anything of any interest that hasnt already been done in the terminator movies.

Same whiney John Connor. Same survival oriented Sarah Connor. Same fight scenes. Same campy one-liners.

Boo. Hiss. I would very much like a refund on the hour I spent watching this crap. Thats the last time I give network tv a chance.

#30 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Oh you know the usual....
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:15 PM

Oh you actually watched this!?!?!?

How do i put this
i have never seen any of the terminators
in there all the way through
but im pretty sure i hate Sarah Conner.

The commercials look dumb
and let's be real if it wasn't for
the writer's strike would this show still get aired?
yes it would but the audience would be alot less willing

Duct tape is like the force....

There's a lightside, a darkside

and it holds everything together

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic