• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Sarah Connor Chronicles Still flogging the Terminator franchise to death

#1 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:47 AM

I hear that they're setting up a TV series about Sarah Connor, the long suffering heroine of the Terminator films, originally played by Linda Hamilton. I guess Terminator 3 just wasn't enough, they have to keep flogging this poor franchise to death. You'd think they'd have tried a series like this back in the late 80s/early 90s when the Terminator was more popular, more relevant.

The suits just can't leave well enough alone.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#2 User is offline   Karig Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Post icon  Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:24 AM

So I guess the Machines of the future are just going to send another new Terminator model back in time every week? blink.gif

#3 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:18 PM

laugh.gif Nice one Karig. Seriously now, what would the show be about really? While Sarah was alive, she only saw the 101 model twice and the 1000 model once. Then in the third movie, she dies of cancer?! That third movie was bad! Like an over-ripe fruit that has begun to stink. This show won't last long because any "chronicles" we see are all in the first two movies. What are they going to do, break down the first two movies in 30 minute segments and call it something new?

What trash.

#4 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:27 PM

I'll be the first to admit on this thread that T3 (alright, Lord Aquaman was the first,) but T3 did suck to a point of suckage that was not satisfactory. With that aside, although they only wanted this movie for money rather than adequate addition to the canon/plot, there were some good moments in it.
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#5 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (StarWarsIsUs @ Aug 30 2006, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll be the first to admit on this thread that T3 (alright, Lord Aquaman was the first,) but T3 did suck to a point of suckage that was not satisfactory. With that aside, although they only wanted this movie for money rather than adequate addition to the canon/plot, there were some good moments in it.

The only good moment I can think of is Kristanna Loken showing up naked.

T3 was basically T2 recycled, with a hot young woman substituting for the T-1000 while Claire Danes substituted for Linda Hamilton. And Arnold Schwarzenegger no doubt hoped that going back to the Terminator would give his film career a much needed shot in the arm, since his star power at the box office started to fade following the box office failure of "Batman & Robin".

And seeing as how T3 wasn't as big a hit as they hoped, Arnold decided to take over California.

I don't see what more can be gained from doing a Terminator themed TV series, or by doing a 4th film, as they claim to be doing.
I am the Fisher King.

#6 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 02 September 2006 - 04:00 AM

QUOTE (Lord Aquaman @ Aug 31 2006, 02:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only good moment I can think of is Kristanna Loken showing up naked.

Yes, yes... *dreams*...

Anyways - I've you guys think that T3 was the worst, then you should go and get the director's cut special edition of T2. Watch the omitted ending. Cry. In that order.

And the Sarah Connor Chronicles aren't the end of the line, T4 has been already been announced, if memory serves me right.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#7 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 02 September 2006 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (Lord Aquaman @ Aug 30 2006, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And seeing as how T3 wasn't as big a hit as they hoped, Arnold decided to take over California.

Your chronology is off a little. Shwarzenegger was planning to run for office for some time. Making T3 exclusively in California in California instead of using Mexico for some of it like in the previous film was a campaign stunt, since one of his many promises was to introduce tax incentives to bring filmmaking back to the US. The worst campaign stunt however was releasing the film during his campaign, thereby allowing his image more media hits than allowed under the rules of campaign advertising.

And T3 sucked. "Judgement Day is inevitable" is a pretty weak time travel premise, worse even than the "we can stop the war because we know it's going to happen" idea in T2. In my opinion, while the action in T2 is sometimes fun (there is no fun to be had in T3, despite Claire Danes acting her pants off), there is only one TERMINATOR film.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#8 User is offline   MyPantsAreOnFire Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2006 - 04:00 PM

The thing I never got is why John Connor didn't vanish in T2 after they melted Arnold and the robot arm and brain-chip-thingie.

#9 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 02 September 2006 - 04:30 PM

That's supposed to be covered by T3's "Judgement Day is inevitable" idea. Doesn't matter if they destroy the remains of the Terminator - he'll be built someday, and so John will eventually have to send Reese back in time. It's quite funny to follow the discussions about the time-travelling-thingy, but you shouldn't waste more than five minutes of your life on them, as they tend to drive you insane after the third or fourth "but".

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#10 User is offline   MyPantsAreOnFire Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE (Gobbler @ Sep 2 2006, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's supposed to be covered by T3's "Judgement Day is inevitable" idea. Doesn't matter if they destroy the remains of the Terminator - he'll be built someday, and so John will eventually have to send Reese back in time. It's quite funny to follow the discussions about the time-travelling-thingy, but you shouldn't waste more than five minutes of your life on them, as they tend to drive you insane after the third or fourth "but".

Good point.

I prefer the theory that each decision causes a branch off into a different time/reality. The destruction of Ah-nuld and the T-1000 may have saved THEIR reality, but there's still infinite possibilites where they could exist.

#11 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2006 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (Gobbler @ Sep 2 2006, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, yes... *dreams*...

Anyways - I've you guys think that T3 was the worst, then you should go and get the director's cut special edition of T2. Watch the omitted ending. Cry. In that order.

And the Sarah Connor Chronicles aren't the end of the line, T4 has been already been announced, if memory serves me right.

I've seen the omitted ending. Very sad indeed.
I am the Fisher King.

#12 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:03 AM

Are you guys refering to the omitted ending in T2 where everything is just peachy and John Conner has a daughter (I think)? If so, that wasn't sad, it was just ...well, sad, as in lacking substance.

#13 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:18 AM

Not to mention that it was the gayest scene ever.

#14 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:11 AM

The gayest hing about that ending is that John Connor becomes a asenator despite a history of violence, including destruction of pribvate property and assault on police officers.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#15 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:19 AM

T3 was just down right boring. They were so lost for a villian they just recyled the guy from T2 and gave him a metal skelton, which in my expert opinion is not an improved model, but rather a down grade. The fact that the new version could control electronic devices was just a stupid gimmick.

T2 had an awesome bad guy and the film was a lot more intense.

T1 is was gritty and raw. The film was more of a horror than a sci-fi.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 03 September 2006 - 04:20 AM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic