• (2 Pages)
  • +

ROTJ Clearinghouse No rarionale for Dengar and Bossk to be at Jabba's Palace

#1 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 July 2006 - 03:53 PM

The thread below with the fight clip featuring the guy with the Republic helmet reminded me of something that has bugged me upon repeated viewings of ROTJ, namely that ILM cleared the creature shelves to populate the film, nowhere more seen than in Jabba's palace. If Dengar and the other bounty hunters were in competition not only to capture Solo and get him to Jabba for the reward, and they also had to deal with one another, then it makes no sense that they're all standing within easy shooting distance of Boba with a 'no hard feelings' air about them. Bossk is there too, and I wonder what other losers may be uncovered.

#2 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2006 - 04:37 PM

Never thought of that. But is it really a plothole? Maybe Jabba's palace and the area around it was somewhat of a "No competition" zone. But you do bring up a good point... bounty hunters are more or less amoral... and I think Boba Fett had a better chance at being killed by Bossk (spelling?) or other bounty hunters when they were over the Sarlacc Pit.
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#3 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (StarWarsIsUs @ Jul 26 2006, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Never thought of that. But is it really a plothole?

I should have been clearer in my post that I wasn't seeking to describe another potential plot hole instead opting for the 'clearinghouse' effect regarding the fact that every off the shelf thing ILM had in easy reach appears on film, whereas others like Hammerhead are absent. I could understand the Jawas being there as well as a few others, not to mention newer creatures, but Dengar and Bossk's addition just seems to be done to take up room and fill in a corner here and there.

#4 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:02 PM

I see what you mean now. Wouldn't doubt that is what happened.

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#5 User is offline   MyPantsAreOnFire Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:02 AM

It's much worse that Greedo shows up again. I could understand re-using the unclothed parts of the Greedo costume...I mean, really, us humans can't tell the difference between them thar space-aliens, a-hyuck! But they went ahead and used the same crappy orange and green outfit, complete with life preserver-jacket. If anyone can find the promo shot of Luke holding the gun on Jabba, you can see good ol' Greedo right behind him.

Shit, I think Greedo is actually in the deleted Jabba scene from ANH...standing around the Falcon AS Jabba and Han talk about him being killed! Talk about a mind-fuck...Quantum Greedo!

#6 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE (MyPantsAreOnFire @ Jul 27 2006, 01:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shit, I think Greedo is actually in the deleted Jabba scene from ANH...standing around the Falcon AS Jabba and Han talk about him being killed! Talk about a mind-fuck...Quantum Greedo!

He is there and it bugged me when I rewatched ANH a few days ago. The one in back of Luke in TOTJ should have the black blast hole in the middle of his torso. Unbelievable.

#7 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:04 AM

Yeah, it's more of Lucas' cop out, "let's wrap this up as quick as we can" attitude when filming ROTJ. You know who I REALLY hate in the Jabba throne room scene---red wool pajama man/gal. It looks really pathetic. The monster crew did make some really nifty monster extras and they're all out of sight or just barely in the shot, and we get crap like 'red pajamas' and multi-breast-Jabba's-half-sister dancing around. GAG. ROTJ is not holding up well over time.

But, as for the Bounty Hunters, you could just say it's some unwritten code or they respect each other enough to be in proximity. As bounty hunter, you ought to know that someone just MIGHT get the mark before you do. So, I don't think they'd hold it against each other. Also, whose to say when they were on the Executor with Vader that there wasn't some prior target they were all going for before and Bossk got it. They weren't all gunning for him in those scenes. smile.gif
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#8 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:32 AM

"Soon as one of us nabs Solo, last one to Jabba's place is 'it'."

#9 User is offline   georgelucas4greedo Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:29 AM

Those werent the actual Bounty Hunters. They were rebels digused as the most famous bounty hunters. That allowed them to go deep cover on Jabba. If you look closely, you'll see that Dengar is actually the rebel that Han Solo would "see in hell" making for a very funny inside joke when they reunited in Jabba's frigthening sail barge.
It seems like everyone is over the nitpicking. Too bad.

#10 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:22 PM

What? Really? Seriously?

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#11 User is offline   Dorothy Icon

• We supply it, we demand you eat it.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:18 PM

Of course... And if you look really closely you can M. Night Shyamalan and Alfred Hitchcock as well...
"The problem is, you're not a kangaroo... that's a bear... and he's in your pants."
"Maybe artists shouldn't talk about their art."
"Well kids, I guess your father isn't a hermaphrodite."
"Izzy! enough with the rabid smootching!!"

#12 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:21 PM

george lucas is in the middle of the room for christs sake... how could you miss that?!?

he's the one on the raised platform, sitting right behind liea.

#13 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:34 PM

Maybe the phone call went something like this:

(Vader is on the comlink)

Vader: Hey Jabba. Can you turn the music down?

*music diminishes and we hear Jabba*

Jabba: Hey Annie! (translated from Huttese)

Vader: That nickname no longer has any meaning for me!

Jabba: Don't get touchy, you haven't called, so you need to tell me these things.

Vader: Sorry, I guess I'm just a little sensitive these days, what with me finding out I have a son and all.

Jabba: Ah, little whipper snappers. I always dread the day I find out I have a few huttlings coming around demanding money.

Vader: It's not just that. But now my boss found out, so of course he has to overreact and get the whole Empire involved looking for the brat. I just figure a little private arrangement and nobody would be the wiser, but no. Always gotta go the most expensive and crazy route with that guy. But anyway...

Jabba: Let's get to the point, shall we.. "Lord Vader"?

Vader: Just "Vader" will be fine. But don't call me "Darth" that really pisses me off. The last guy to do that was my old Master, and I had to kill him.

Jabba: (laughs)

Vader: Okay, so anyway Jabba, you and me, we are both old Tatooine boys, I figure you could do me a favor.

Jabba: What kind of favor, Vader?

Vader: That almost rhymed... ! Okay well the thing is...

Jabba: Spit it out Da--, I mean Vader.

Vader: Heh. Okay, well even with all this extra help I'm having some trouble locating my boy. So I need some hired muscle...

Jabba: Bounty Hunters? Sure, I can send you some. I've got a bunch of guys looking for something to do.

Vader: Great. This could really help out. I hate to ask. You know how it is with the Empire's image and all.

Jabba: Hey, I get it all the time. I hate to charge and people accuse me of being greedy...

Vader: Oh I know, and I'm sorry. We'll pay your men well. Maybe give them some extra incentive, I'll pay you on comission and give the winner a substantial reward.

Jabba: That should make it fun. I'll let the guys know. They'll be happy to come over. Say, 8 o'clock thursday?

Vader: I'm having my helmet polished at that time. How about wednesday?

Jabba: Hmm, well if that's the case Aurra Sing won't be able to make it, but she's a psycho-bitch anyway, so no big loss there.

Vader: Ha, ha, the ol' ball and chain...

Jabba: You know it, pal!

Vader: Okay, it's a deal then, sluggo?

Jabba: Erm, heh. I am trying to diet...

Vader: Sorry, I got excited there. I was thinking about finally having somebody to stand next to me and make me feel important. Boss gets all those guys in red helmets and those weird ass purple guys. I just don't have the kind of posse he's got. Even you Jabba, you get all these guys to hang around and make you look cool. Sorry if I got jealous there and spout off.

Jabba: No problem. Hey, what can I say, I'm a Hutt, we're fat. Okay, it's a deal. I'll send the guys over Thursday (and I'll just have to buy the ol' battle ax a mink or something later to make it up to her).

Vader: Sounds great then, take care Jabba.

Jabba: So long, pal.

*click*

#14 User is offline   Zatoichi Icon

• Left Hand Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Conquering the World! Being the who when you call "Who's there?"

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:07 PM

Now that's what I call a hilarious phone conversation.
Apparently writing about JM here is his secret weakness. Muwahaha!!!! Now I have leverage over him and am another step closer towards my goal of world domination.

"And the Evil that was vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the guise of man shall he walk amongst the innocent and Terror shall consume they that dwell upon the Earth. The skies will rain fire. The seas shall become as blood. The righteous shall fall before the wicked! And all creation shall tremble before the burning standards of Hell!" - Mephisto

Kurgan X showed me this web comic done with Legos. It pokes fun at all six Star Wars films and I found it to be extremely entertaining.
<a href="http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html" target="_blank">http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html</a>

#15 User is offline   georgelucas4greedo Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:52 PM

Why wasnt he at Jabba's palace?:

It seems like everyone is over the nitpicking. Too bad.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size