Chefelf.com Night Life: CGI Yoda for ESB? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (3 Pages)
  • +

CGI Yoda for ESB? Will GL do it?

Poll: CGI Yoda?

Vote.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:20 AM

Darth Player, that Yoda pic is really bad. It's funny, yes, but I haven't seen EP I in a while and I forgot that he looked that retched. That's classic. laugh.gif laugh.gif

#32 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:38 AM

That pic has been around for quite some time. Surprised you two guys haven't seen it already.
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#33 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:56 PM

Just so everybody knows, the Episode I Yoda was a completely new muppet created exactly for that film in the late 1990's. The Yoda muppet used in ESB and ROTJ was too old and fragile to be used, and is currently residing in the LucasFilm Archives under glass (if it isn't on display in some traveling exhibit somewhere that is).

There are subtle differences between it and the one used in TPM, hence all the jokes about him being a pothead, because he looks stoned in several scenes. wink.gif

Personally I thought the TPM puppet was funny, and gave the movie some genuine charm that it was otherwise lacking (Lucas tried too hard to make the movie cute with so many child characters and Jar Jar's disney-style antics). The movie is flawed anyway. CGing Yoda would not improve the film in the least. It would exactly detract from it slightly in fact... for me at least.

And just in case you're curious there is ONE scene in TPM where Yoda was digital before all this talk of replacing him. In the scene where he's walking back and forth (a far shot with Obi-Wan kneeling before him), when he's discussing whether or not to finally train Anakin (after the death of Qui Gon). That was a completely CG yoda. But of course since it was exerimental and not that detailed, it's far away so you can't see much. This was their prelude to making him completely CG in Episode II three years later...

But it's 99.9999999999999% certain that he's going to be completely CG in the next release of Episode I for the "Ultimate Anniversary Boxed Set" in May 2007. If I was that curious, I'd rent it, but I'm really not.

I mean, Yoda doesn't even DO anything in Episode I except sit there and go "mmmmmmmmmm." A complete waste of CG to replace him. They're only doing this "because we can" and because it would "match up better" with the other two prequels. They don't even have to do any work, just plop the Episode III model onto the already mostly static puppet and mimic his movements.

Would people buy a new Star Wars? Yes, they have proven they will. There are enough fans that devoted and enough people that foolish when it comes to fandome (or simply ignorant) that they will buy anything with the name on it, no matter how crappy.

Heck, Lucas has already proven he can repackage the same films multiple times on DVD and have people buy them every time, despite the content being exactly the same (and in fact being LESS, in the case of the 2005 vs. 2004 sets!).

All he needs to do is throw in a new box, a new cover, a new price tag, advertise it, and boom, instant sales.

So at this point, nothing would surprise me.

The bigger shame with the Episode I DVD that came out back in 2001 (and has been since re-released with absolutely no changes since then), was that it was encoded in such a way that it was overly sharp, leading to edge enhancement and exaggerated grain (even for a real film, vs. the digital look of the 2004 trilogy and the last two prequels). I imagine a new encode they will remove the "film grain" so it looks like it was shot on digital video instead of film, and toss in CG Yoda. If folks must see it, I say use Netflix. I bought my copy used back in the day, just to "complete my collection" (even though at the time it was the only official SW DVD that was available for purchase).

This post has been edited by KurganX: 08 September 2006 - 08:58 PM

#34 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (StarWarsIsUs @ Aug 23 2006, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I vote that he will.
Sometime soon, as I have foreseen, the puppet Yoda from Jim Henson in ESB, will be replaced by the flaky, fake-looking PT Yoda from CGI.

I wish he would replace all the other SW films with the puppet character from ESB. There is no better version of Yoda than the one we saw in ESB,..the same Yoda that was beating Artoo like a wild maniac with his wooden cane on Dagobah, and swiped a bite of, what looked like Luke Skywalker's Kit-Kat bar

gimme a break,..gimme a break,..give Yoda a piece of that Kit Kat bar!

Yoda: "NO!, mine,..mine,..mine,..mine,.mine..mine!"
QUOTE (njamilla @ Feb 23 2008, 08:16 AM)
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

QUOTE (chefelf @ Feb 23 2008, 10:30 AM)
That's what I'm here for.

#35 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:03 AM

Thats what I always thought it was too! ohmy.gif

#36 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:29 PM

To really WOW the crowd, I'd like to see GI Yoda grab his gimar stick and extend the lightsaber blade. smile.gif

#37 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:10 PM

Taking into consideration the changes that George made, I would be lying to say that I don't think he'd make the change. The DVD version of Star Wars is only the latest in the tweaks he's doing to it and would probably release more and more changes.

Funny thing is, I actually thought about buying the DVD about two years back, but thankfully, I wisened up fairly quickly and realised that it would have been a waste of money.

#38 User is offline   Infernus Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:11 PM

I hope that Yoda the puppet will not be erased from history in any and all future rereleases of this episode. The CGI Yoda was based on the puppet, and it would be sacrilege to tamoper with it. I would hope GL would not go this far in his cosmetic modiffications to the existing material....but then he has gone overboard already in other areas.....

This post has been edited by Infernus: 25 May 2007 - 12:12 PM

#39 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:36 AM

Well, so much for the "May 2007" box set!

Lucas needs to take a breather from all this revisionism. Take those millions of dollars he'd waste on more modifications and restore the original THEATRICAL trilogy in a beautiful, anamorphic transfer with the theatrical soundtracks and the PROPER colors (either don't let Lowry Digital anywhere near the movie, or give the more than 30 DAYS to do it right!).

The 2006 discs will have to hold me for now. But the new editions can rot for all I care, they suck, and they're not even done properly!

This post has been edited by KurganX: 08 June 2007 - 11:37 AM

#40 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Limited Members
  • Interests:James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:32 AM

Goodness, such hatred there is! Not approve, Yoda would... tongue.gif

Anyway, I seriously doubt Lucas would tamper with a beloved icon of the '80s. Seriously, that'd be going a wee bit overboard...
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born
And once when you look death in the face.

--Ian Fleming

#41 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE (Bond @ Jul 16 2007, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyway, I seriously doubt Lucas would tamper with a beloved icon of the '80s. Seriously, that'd be going a wee bit overboard...

Ahem... he already has! Twice!

#42 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Limited Members
  • Interests:James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (KurganX @ Jul 18 2007, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ahem... he already has! Twice!

I meant in its original format. Redoing Yoda in ESB would be like painting over Han Solo with a green-skinned fish monster in ANH; it makes no damn sense. angry.gif

This post has been edited by Bond: 18 July 2007 - 03:11 PM

IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born
And once when you look death in the face.

--Ian Fleming

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size