Chefelf.com Night Life: Do You Think Vader Got Any Additional Training From Palpatine? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Do You Think Vader Got Any Additional Training From Palpatine? From what we see in ROTS and the OT, It Doesn't seem so

#1 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:35 PM

From the events we saw in ROTS, there doesn't seem to be any additional training that Palpatine gives to Vader, nor as far as can be deduced in the OT, does he get any then either. In ANH, he's tasked with being Palpatine's guy on the Death Star, and in ESB, he's tasked with the search for Luke. In ROTJ, he's just supposed to be in place when Palpatine's plan comes to fruition in DS II. Apparently, there's no additional training given to Vader, and all that is required of him is that he use the Jedi abilities, but do so when he's in a bad move. Its kind of an empty existance, with the supposed secrets of greatness dangled before him, and none delivered.

#2 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2006 - 03:03 PM

When I first saw this on the board index, I thought it said: "Do you think Vader got any..." like sex.

But no. I don't think he got anymore training. He is much weaker/stiff than he was in ROTS, which means he didn't do much action-oriented stuff.
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#3 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2006 - 03:11 PM

We already have a Barend, and its not you sir, consider yourself warned.

#4 User is offline   johnnycancer Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 22 August 2006 - 03:45 PM

I was kind of hoping for a "Did Vader get any...sex?" question too.

Let's see...did Vader get any additional Sith training? Doesn't seem like it does it? We never see him use any techniques that we don't see other Jedi use too. I do recall that in reading Shadows of the Empire, there is a scene with Vader training against some sort of combat droid, but, he's not really learning anything new.

I guess it kind of makes sense, but it's really lame if this is how it makes sense: at the end of ROTS, Anakin joins the Dark Side to learn the Sith technique for creating life; but, by the end we find out that either Palpatine doesn't really know that technique, or else he's just not going to teach it to Anakin. So, the only other technique that leaves is the Force lightning. I guess that's a Sith technique; I don't remember any Jedi ever using that; but then Vader never uses it either. So, even though there only appears to be one Sith technique in the entire universe, Palpatine doesn't show Vader how to use it.

I guess Palpatine didn't want to show him because of the whole story about Darth Plagueis; Vader might try to kill him in his sleep or something...yeah, that HAS to be it...

I think the real question is: Why didn't Vader kill his master sooner?

It seems like you're not much of a Sith lord if you don't betray and murder your master almost right off the bat.

johnnycancer

#5 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:01 PM

[quote name='johnnycancer' date='Aug 22 2006, 04:45 PM' post='142786']
I was kind of hoping for a "Did Vader get any...sex?" question too.

He got his nads burned off beyond the question of a doubt, so there's little point in asking about that question. Good thing too as he's aboard giant ships and space stations filled with nothing but droids and Captain Cody clones.

#6 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (Darth Player @ Aug 22 2006, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We already have a Barend, and its not you sir, consider yourself warned.

Just because I'm using his avatar, doesn't mean I'm trying to be him. Show a little respect, youngling. I replied to your thread with my honest opinion. Instead of being a jack-ass, why not make a reply to my reply?
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#7 User is offline   johnnycancer Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:42 PM

He got his nads burned off beyond the question of a doubt, so there's little point in asking about that question. Good thing too as he's aboard giant ships and space stations filled with nothing but droids and Captain Cody clones.

Ha! Good point. I guess I wasn't interested in the mechanics of Vader's sex life so much as the possibility that Vader had romantic interests in the 20-something years in between ROTS and ANH. Although, I can't possibly imagine where Vader would have been picking up chicks...but, I guess, as you pointed out, it's a moot point.

But, since it seems established that Vader was effectively castrated during his fight with Obi-Wan, it does bring up another interesting question: was Vader taking any kind of testosterone supplements? I'm not a biologist, so, this might be a really stupid question, but, the testicles produce testosterone, right? So, if Vader suddenly lost his testicles, wouldn't that cause his hormone levels to plummet?

Hopefully, that's not a disrespectful question. I'm just sort of curious what sort of physical condition Vader was actually in by the time ANH starts.

johnnycancer

#8 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (johnnycancer @ Aug 22 2006, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ha! Good point. I guess I wasn't interested in the mechanics of Vader's sex life so much as the possibility that Vader had romantic interests in the 20-something years in between ROTS and ANH. Although, I can't possibly imagine where Vader would have been picking up chicks...but, I guess, as you pointed out, it's a moot point.

It's a moot point now that we know he's just a crispling in a black suit. But I'd be interested too.

On Earth, in the 1970s, when DV was shrouded in mystery, he was a sex symbol and one of the most charismatic "characters" in existence.

Now we're so quick to point out: Well of course he's a joke in bed. smile.gif

#9 User is offline   MyPantsAreOnFire Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:28 PM

When somebody runs around looking like a giant black dildo, they know exactly the kind of vibe (wink-wink) they're sending out.

Ladies love cool Darth.

#10 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:44 PM

Vader must have received some additional training as shown by:

1. His increased ability in being able to force choke people.
2. Being able to turn into a force ghost at the end of ROTJ.
3. Having the capacity to absorb blaster fire from Han Solo. (Speaking of which, how the fuck is that possible?)

#11 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:48 PM

1) practice

2) He choked on Lucas

3) Certainly he can repel blaster fire. This is our hero DARTH VADER. In Rots he repels his FANS.

#12 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2006 - 12:50 AM

If Vader can repel blaster fire, then why do the Jedi even bother using light sabers to deflect blaster shots when fighting the droids in the PT?

#13 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 23 August 2006 - 01:08 AM

It's interesting, because it's puzzling to us.

It's fun to speculate why. Like justifying Superman's powers. But if you spend three movies with the end-all being: an understanding of why Vader can repel blaster-fire instead of the story of the lava-pit, would you be better off or more satisfied? Because I'm not certain myself.

Less was More.

#14 User is offline   johnnycancer Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 23 August 2006 - 01:37 AM

1. His increased ability in being able to force choke people.
2. Being able to turn into a force ghost at the end of ROTJ.
3. Having the capacity to absorb blaster fire from Han Solo. (Speaking of which, how the fuck is that possible?)

1) Doesn't Vader force choke Padme at the end of ROTS? How are we ever shown that his ability to do this improved? As far as I can tell, it's the same basic manuver, whether he's choking Padme or Admiral Motti - where's the improvement?

2) I can't offer an explanation for Anakin becoming a force ghost at the end of ROTJ, but, if he learned how to do this, he must have done it on his own. So I don't know if that counts as training per se. Surely Palpatine didn't teach him. Otherwise, wouldn't Palpatine be a force ghost too? Or, are we going on the assumption that Sith don't become force ghosts, but rather stick around in the physical world to haunt places like the cave on Dagobah? In any case, it's not the type of knowledge that Palpatine would likely possess. If I'm wrong, or anybody can point to some material which gives us an explanation, please let me know. I'm curious about this one myself.

3) This is going to sound really lame, but, Vader doesn't use the force to deflect Han's blaster fire. Vader's gloves and his cloak are actually made of a material which is strong enough to deflect blaster fire, but cannot withstand a blow from a lighttsaber. I'm basing this off of what I've read in a Wikipedia article on Vader, which cites the Star Wars Technical Commentaries as its source: http://en.wikipedia....ic_enhancements

I know, that's really lame, but, if that's the explanation, it does account for why other Jedi don't just use the force to deflect blaster shots and have to rely on their lightsabers instead.

Ladies love cool Darth.

Hell yeah!

On Earth, in the 1970s, when DV was shrouded in mystery, he was a sex symbol and one of the most charismatic "characters" in existence.

Okay, seriously, Darth Vader was like the second or third most powerful figure in the Empire. You're telling me that this could not possibly have led to any romantic entanglements? Surely some women in Star Wars find power an aphrodisiac too, right? I'm not saying that Darth Vader actively pursued anyone, but, there couldn't have bee one woman in the entire Empire that pursued him? Disregarding the obvious physical limitations, it sill seems like there should have been at least one special lady in that 20 year timespan.

johnnycancer

This post has been edited by johnnycancer: 23 August 2006 - 01:40 AM

#15 User is offline   MyPantsAreOnFire Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:21 AM

Why is it such a big deal that he blocked the blaster fire with his hand? HIS HANDS ARE MADE OF METAL. It would be stupid if he couldn't block it with his ROBOTIC ARMS MADE OUT OF METAL.

Hell, even Luke kindasortamaybe blocked a blaster shot with his hand in ROTJ. Sure, he still screamed like the little pansy he is, but he wouldn't have done that over a paper cut. And Vader was probably smarter and realized that turning the "feel pain" switch off in his laser-blocking hand was the way to go. What a stud.

I think the more important question arises after Vader blocks the shots. Are they going to sit down for dinner? What's he gonna do, slurp everything through a straw?

This post has been edited by MyPantsAreOnFire: 23 August 2006 - 09:25 AM

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size