Chefelf.com Night Life: Pathetic fact. - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Pathetic fact. Natalie Portman had never seen the OT.

#1 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:45 PM

Pathetic. What do you guys think?
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#2 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:57 PM

Happens a lot.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#3 User is offline   johnnycancer Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:43 PM

Hahahaha!

Well, that's kind of funny. But then, Marlon Brando had never read Heart of Darkness when he was cast to play Kurtz in Apocalypse Now (which was basically just Heart of Darkness set in Vietnam), and, that didn't seem to make too much of a difference. Of course, Apocalypse Now is a good movie with a well written script and you can't really say the same for the PT movies.

But still, that is pretty funny. My last girlfriend was like that too actually. She'd lived to adulthood without ever having seen the original Star Wars trilogy. I always wonder how that's possible, but it happens. Of course, I had to sit her down one night and show her all 3 movies because I just couldn't live with that.

Did Natalie Portman watch any of the movies to prepare for her role once she was cast?

johnnycancer

#4 User is offline   MyPantsAreOnFire Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE (johnnycancer @ Aug 20 2006, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hahahaha!

Well, that's kind of funny. But then, Marlon Brando had never read Heart of Darkness when he was cast to play Kurtz in Apocalypse Now (which was basically just Heart of Darkness set in Vietnam), and, that didn't seem to make too much of a difference. Of course, Apocalypse Now is a good movie with a well written script and you can't really say the same for the PT movies.

Not necessarily the best example. I think Brando's twaddle of a performance almost kills an otherwise damn near perfect film. He seemed to have no clue about what he was supposed to be doing.

#5 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:25 PM

I don't really see why she should have done, to be honest, as long as she understands the basic plot. It's Lucas's job to keep his films consistent, not the actors'. Given the crappy script Portman ended up with how much difference could it realistically have made if she'd seen the OT?
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#6 User is offline   johnnycancer Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:51 PM

Given the crappy script Portman ended up with how much difference could it realistically have made if she'd seen the OT?

I was just about to ask the same thing actually.

johnnycancer

#7 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:43 PM

That's not really my main complaint. (about if it would have changed anything)

My complaint is that she auditioned for a prequel to something she had never even watched. How inane is that? Was she just desperate for a role that would establish she was older than in her kiddy-movie? I don't know.

Natalie Portman: You are hot. But you are a nonsensical person. Good day.
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#8 User is offline   MyPantsAreOnFire Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:42 PM

Why should she have to watch them beforehand? Someone probably wisely told her, "hey, they only mention this character for 2 seconds in all 3 movies. Don't waste your time."

#9 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:22 PM

-How would you like a three-film contract in a big-budget, high-profile series based on some films made around the time you were born?

-Do I need to audition?

-No, Lucas is going to just interview you and consider your past work an audition.

-Ok, I'll see the films eventually. Where's the three scripts I'd be working on?

-Uh, Lucas is still writing them, and will be writing them up to the first day of shooting, possibly past that.

-This is getting dodgy. Can I just send my agent to negotiate the price?

-Sure.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#10 User is offline   johnnycancer Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (MyPantsAreOnFire @ Aug 21 2006, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why should she have to watch them beforehand? Someone probably wisely told her, "hey, they only mention this character for 2 seconds in all 3 movies. Don't waste your time."

I'd have to agree with you on this one. It would be one thing if there were a lot of references to Luke and Leia's mother in the OT, but, she's basically nowhere to be found. So, assuming Portman intended to research the role, having seen the films wouldn't necessarily be much help.

Then again, there are a lot of other things in the OT that would be helpful; such as getting introduced to Emperor Palpatine; seeing how Obi-Wan connects to her children's future; and knowing some of the back story (well, future history) of Anakin Skywalker, since she would be spending most of her onscreen time with that character.

johnnycancer

#11 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE (StarWarsIsUs @ Aug 21 2006, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's not really my main complaint. (about if it would have changed anything)

My complaint is that she auditioned for a prequel to something she had never even watched. How inane is that? Was she just desperate for a role that would establish she was older than in her kiddy-movie? I don't know.

Natalie Portman: You are hot. But you are a nonsensical person. Good day.

It is indeed a bit odd.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#12 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:37 AM

I thougth that actors of Natalie Portmam position like to prepare for a role by doing as much research as they could We hear incredible stories about actors preparing for their roles - putting on weight, losing weight, undergoing physical training, reseaching in real life. SInce the last one would be impossible, the next best thing would be to watch the film. SInce she was interacting with Hayden Christensen and blue screen only during filming, in her place I would watch OT in every break between the shots, just to remind myself what exactly I am doing here

Perhaps she new that the film would be crap and she did it only for the money, so yeah, why bother.

#13 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:45 AM

I guess just reading the script totally sufficed for that role. I mean, it's not like there was a lot of talk about her character in the OT or something like that.

This post has been edited by Gobbler: 22 August 2006 - 10:46 AM

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#14 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE (Madam Corvax @ Aug 22 2006, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thougth that actors of Natalie Portmam position like to prepare for a role by doing as much research as they could We hear incredible stories about actors preparing for their roles - putting on weight, losing weight, undergoing physical training, reseaching in real life. SInce the last one would be impossible, the next best thing would be to watch the film. SInce she was interacting with Hayden Christensen and blue screen only during filming, in her place I would watch OT in every break between the shots, just to remind myself what exactly I am doing here

Perhaps she new that the film would be crap and she did it only for the money, so yeah, why bother.

I know. Hell, Ron Perlman at least read the Hellboy comics while preparing for his role in the 2004 Hellboy adaptation.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#15 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:20 PM

I'd like to point out that the little factoid says she hadn't seen the movies when cast. She probably took the time to watch them before going to camera. Unless she had some specific reason for not wanting to see the originals (ie "sci fi makes my ass hurt"), then probably an AD would have made fun of her for not seeing them, and would have sent some VHS copies to her trailer, or better yet her hotel room.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size