• Last »

Arts and Crafts

#16 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 20 August 2006 - 01:08 PM

It is better now, and I realized what has been bugging me about the picture all along. It's not Dan's little bit anime-ish face, but his facial exp​ression. He looks very determined and stern, kind of like a hired killer on your drawing (actually, when I picture him without hair and glasses in my mind he reminds me of Agent 47), whereas in the game, we get the feeling that he wasn't cut out for the hero-business at all. He's much more like Arthur Dent from Hitch Hiker's Guide, who just dropped into the saviour-of-the-world role by accident.

On the other hand, because of the Yahtzee-trademark deep character personalities and development, he sort of becomes a hero at the end. A hero, who is still scared shitless all the time and whines a lot, but eventually overcomes his fears and has the balls to do what he's supposed to do.

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 20 August 2006 - 01:09 PM

#17 User is offline   setasouji Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:47 PM

http://img221.images...angordonyv1.jpg

Dweebification of Dan continues. At least now he has eyebrows. I'm curious to see if anyone noticed the reflection in his glasses.
Still, I might just abandon it. It doesn't seem that the semi-realistic style fits the rather cartoonish world of the Galaxy of Fantabulous Wonderment.

(Amazingly Tiny Spoilers! Oh noes!)
I have to step up and defend Dan, though, as I feel he deserves a little more credit then that. He was tossed into his predicament by chance, and I've even accidently called him Arthur a few times for obvious reasons. But the Extranoids themsleves pointed out that it was Dan's influence that kept everyone on track and got them as far as they did. Had it been left to Hole and Eric, they would have just bailed out and called it a loss when they got in too deep. Dan wasn't just "kind of" a hero at the end, he was rather heroic throughout the entire adventure.
And frankly, Hole whined more about Dan's heroics than Dan whined about his heroics.

#18 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:46 PM

Dan looks much, much better now. I'd leave it at that if I were you.

#19 User is offline   setasouji Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:27 PM

I'm supposed to be doing something productive, but I blew that off, got all my various electronics up and running, and drew a crappy picture of John Somerset instead.

Poor John Somerset. He never really clicked with me like Trilby did, but I have a soft spot for underdogs, and John is an underdog if I ever saw one. While Trilby and the Tall Man lavash among fans and critcal acclaim, John rots away in the Happy Sunshine Home for the Mentally Disturbed and wonders how his life might have been different if Federation Regulations had allowed him to wear a waistcoat and tie.

So there ya go.
http://img145.images...somersetga3.jpg

John Somerset finally cracks under he strain of watching all of his friends die... or perhaps he's just remembering something in his past, that he perferred to leave forgotten.

This post has been edited by setasouji: 13 October 2006 - 07:46 PM

#20 User is offline   Yahtzee Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:47 PM

Great work as always. Ol' JS has a role in the next game, so perhaps I can build up his appeal.

I hasten to add that he's not a central character, though.
As I walked through the valley of the shadow of death, I realised that it could do with a lick of paint.

#21 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 October 2006 - 04:20 AM

Very good job, I especially like the dramatic effect you achieved with the choice of colours.

#22 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:It depends on my current psychosis.

Posted 17 October 2006 - 12:58 PM

I was up to post this in another topic, but I believe this one to be the best place for it.
Finally I've finished Trilby:

That was definitely the most time intensive artwork I have ever done in my life. Critisize at will but I won't change it anymore. Maybe I could make it better but I just don't want to spend more time working on a single model.

I spent a lot of time trying to make a better hair, but everything I did seemed to make it worse. I'll let the proportions a little incorrect to keep the cartoon style. wink.gif

And here is Michael Jackson, just in case of some Gob... COUGH, COUGH... someone want to see the difference between them:

Now I'll fix the Tall Man.

This post has been edited by Nostaw: 17 October 2006 - 01:02 PM

#23 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2006 - 01:29 PM

Oh JESUS TITTYFUCKING CHRIST you just had to post that picture of Jacko and give me a heart attack, didn't you! Just when I was about to scroll down to the add reply button to tell you how much your model has improved!

#24 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2006 - 01:32 PM

I agree, it is excellent now. Believe me when I say my criticism before was not wanton.

...hang on, that's not a trilby! smile.gif

This post has been edited by AdamM: 17 October 2006 - 01:33 PM

#25 User is offline   Dan_N_GameZ Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Red Dwarf, AGS, programming in VB, Yahtzee etc.

Posted 17 October 2006 - 01:40 PM

Ok, I'm no art critic or connayseur, but I know when something's good, dammit!

Setsouji, I must admit, the Somerset image looks brilliant, but you portrayed poor John as a raving lunatic sicko... Albeit he wasn't really sane in 7DAS either... You know, I don't get the endingin 7DAS. John acts perfectly normal all thrugh the game, then ends with "I just wanted to go into space."... What's that about? Of course, maybe the killings were all in his head, or something, but that would just be a crappy escape route, wouldn't it? I dunno...

Nostaw, nice model. Although there are a few minor snags (lips, hair etc.) it really looks like it would suffice. The model was for the 5DAS movie thread, wasn't it?

You know, movies based on Yahtzee's games and writings would be really something. And somehow, I don't think they'd be that hard to make, maybe just a little costly, but they still wouldn't cost as much as most Hollywood blockbusters...

Hmm... Yahtzee could try a new genre of exp​ression: web films!... We all saw Rob and Paul, didn't we? We see he's got talent in animation, artwork and stories, but, unfortunately there are those two major variables needed to be considered: lack of time and "arsed" factor...
"Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back, in one o' dose TOP SECRET LAB-MOTORIES de gubbnint keep stashed away underneath Virginia, an EVIL PRINCE, occasion'ly employed as a part-time THEATRICAL CRITICIZER set to woikin' on a plot fo de systematic GENOCIDICAL REMOVE'LANCE of all unwanted highly-rhythmic individj'lls an' sissy-boys!" (Prologue, Thing-Fish)

Quoting other forumers in your signature seems to be the latest craze around here...

My Last.FM profile.

#26 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2006 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (Dan_N_GameZ @ Oct 17 2006, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Setsouji, I must admit, the Somerset image looks brilliant, but you portrayed poor John as a raving lunatic sicko... Albeit he wasn't really sane in 7DAS either... You know, I don't get the endingin 7DAS. John acts perfectly normal all thrugh the game, then ends with "I just wanted to go into space."... What's that about? Of course, maybe the killings were all in his head, or something, but that would just be a crappy escape route, wouldn't it? I dunno...

Dontcha get it? That was exactly the big twist! He DID kill the real Somerset in some heated argument I'm guessing, then realized what he'd done. It's just that since we don't know anything else about his earlier life, we can't piece everything together. It's a little bit like Dostoyevsky's Crime and punishment, it's just that "Somerset" was able to bury the guilt inside him, and keep on living a normal life (well, for a few weeks).

#27 User is offline   Dan_N_GameZ Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2006 - 01:51 PM

Thanks, David, for elightening me, again.

Hmm... are we technically buddies?
"Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back, in one o' dose TOP SECRET LAB-MOTORIES de gubbnint keep stashed away underneath Virginia, an EVIL PRINCE, occasion'ly employed as a part-time THEATRICAL CRITICIZER set to woikin' on a plot fo de systematic GENOCIDICAL REMOVE'LANCE of all unwanted highly-rhythmic individj'lls an' sissy-boys!" (Prologue, Thing-Fish)

Quoting other forumers in your signature seems to be the latest craze around here...

My Last.FM profile.

#28 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2006 - 02:02 PM

Only if you agree not to ever mention anime, tentacles, rainbows or hentai in this context again.

#29 User is offline   Dan_N_GameZ Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2006 - 02:57 PM

Yessir!

It's nice to know which people are your friends and which ones are your Adams...

My Last.FM profile.

#30 User is offline   Blueskirt Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Guarding pies

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:00 PM

Arms? Legs? Neck? No smiling sun? No pretty flowers? No ice cream and no fuzzy warm pastel colors!?!? What the heck!?? Nah kidding, keep up the great work. If I had to change one thing it would be the legs and torso ratio 'cause the legs are too short or it's the torse which is too long. But it's still real good stuff, I can't wait to see your Tall Man model. smile.gif

It's nice to know which people are your friends and which ones are your Adams...

You know, it's not like you need to seek David's approval for everything, dude. Unless if you happen to be on the uplink forum where the national sport is to be the first to post something similar to "HAHA n00b!" on every new thread made, the internet law is everyone loves everyone until someone make several really dumb things without appologizing.

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size