Chefelf.com Night Life: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire my Amazon.com review. Please read and send feedback!

#1 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:28 PM

As good as the Third!

I had high-hopes for this movie when it came out in theatres. I was suspicious that the director and script writers might have traveled too far away from the book, as most movies based on books do quite often. But to my surprise, this movie stayed very close to the book.

If it had strayed from the book further, would it have still been a good movie? Perhaps so. But the book by J.K. Rowling was such a masterpiece, that this movie had a lot to live up to. By default, the expectations of every fan were very high.

And those expectations were rewarded! Not only did 'Goblet' stay close to the original story, but when it did add new elements, those elements helped the story along! For instance, the dragon chasing Harry for the First Task of the Triwizard Tournament was just astounding as far as suspense and visuals go! The CGI for the dragon was top-notch state-of-the-art! I was very pleased.

All the Tasks were done probably as best as they could have been done by the hands of directors and computer artists. So if you are looking for a movie that is entertaining, visually stunning, and captivating, then this is without a doubt a movie you would enjoy.

Where are some of the lower points of the movie?

The main nit-pick I have with this movie is the characterization of Dumbledore in one of the scenes. After Harry's name flew from the Goblet, all of Hogwarts was shocked and confused. Dumbledore actually grabs and pushes Harry, asking him if he put his name in the cup. This is understandable, since Dumbledore was concerned for Harry's safety and well-being, but if you have ever read the book you will know this is not how the character of Dumbledore would act in such a situation.

Another lower point, was the angst that Hermione exhibited near the end of the Yule Ball. Why exactly did she get mad at Ron? I don't know. I guess because Ron didn't support her in her 'fraternizing with the enemy.' However, the scene came off as a little too much. I think this was just overacting on Emma Watson's part.

On a last note, I will say this movie is better than the ones that came before it, in that it has a strong story, strong characters, very touching and heart-felt moments, and above all: adventure! I suggest this movie, preferably the DVD itself, as it has many bonus features that are worth watching.
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#2 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 03 August 2006 - 02:32 AM

Hermione was mad at Ron because he was being so mean to her, despite the fact that they wanted to get into one another's pants. She even says as much, when she yells at him to just ask her first next time, rather than come to her all last-minute and make out like he didn't even want to. Hermione was the first of the two to know that she and Ron were falling for one another, and his immature antics pissed her off.

I'd say that if she overacts anything in that scene, and this is the direction here, it's the apparent attraction to Krum. Not that she shouldn't be attracted to him, but in the book she only wen to the dance with him because he asked her. In the ball scene that have her play like she's smitten.

I think the story editing of that movie was brilliant. The book was way too long, and the film managed to get the chief elements into it while leaving plenty of character moments. It was to some extent at the cost of the mystery story, but them's the breaks.

Since I think the next two books are shit, I'm not holding out any hope for upcoming sequels.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#3 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:05 PM

I think the story editing of that movie was brilliant. The book was way too long, and the film managed to get the chief elements into it while leaving plenty of character moments. It was to some extent at the cost of the mystery story, but them's the breaks.

I know; they did great in fitting in everything that was necessary. The irony, is that they did better interpreting the Book Four than they did books 1-3, which were much shorter than 4.

Since I think the next two books are shit, I'm not holding out any hope for upcoming sequels.

Book Five was good. It has weaknesses, and was pretty long and drawn out, yes. But Book Six is the book that I think had the most weaknesses.

So... Book Five movie might actually be good. I have no clue how they will adequatly pull off making a movie of Book Six without it being the most boring the movie series.

This post has been edited by StarWarsIsUs: 03 August 2006 - 01:06 PM

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#4 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2006 - 02:17 PM

Funny- I just finished re-reading Boox Six, because I seem to have forgotten what it was all about, and I conclude, that there is simply no action there to speak of.

I really liked Goblet of fire as a film, much better in fact that Prioner of Azkaban, for which I had my hopes really high.. Garry Oldman as Sirius, what a film it could have been given the right direction. The scene when Sirius reveals himself to Ron, Hermione and harry in the Shrieking Shack is the best scene in the whole series of books, but in the film Gary Oldman just shouts through his lines and thrashes about. What a disappointment.

#5 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2006 - 02:35 PM

Yeah. I'm pretty dissapointed with Gary Oldman's job. I'm not sure if it was the writer/directors' fault for it, though. Could have been. But I guess in the end, bad parts usually tend to fall on the actor's shoulders.

The exception, of course, would be the prequel trilogy of Star Wars.

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#6 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2006 - 03:11 AM

I'd just like to add that I am super excited to see a post from Madame Corvax. Hey there darling; how are things? wub.gif
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#7 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2006 - 04:41 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Aug 4 2006, 03:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd just like to add that I am super excited to see a post from Madame Corvax. Hey there darling; how are things? wub.gif

Hey Civ#2! I'm afraid I'm going to have to increase your jealousy when I get my camera to down load it's pictures. We have some lovely pics from her trip to Sydney. But I also agree with your sentiments. If nothing else posting pictures has also resulted in the lovely lady turning back to make some posts biggrin.gif
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#8 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:35 AM

Gentlemen, please.... blush.gif So much flattery is bad for a girl. But yes, I am back, and I am trying to contribute to discussion.

Anyway, civ, if you want to know how things are and what I have been up to, just check the picture gallery. smile.gif

#9 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (Madam Corvax @ Aug 4 2006, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gentlemen, please.... blush.gif So much flattery is bad for a girl. But yes, I am back, and I am trying to contribute to discussion.

Anyway, civ, if you want to know how things are and what I have been up to, just check the picture gallery. smile.gif

Good to see around again, MC! Feels like old times again wub.gif
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#10 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:28 PM

Wow, I'm amazed so many people liked GOF. I was extremely disappointed seeing it in the theatre. The movie was way too rushed, and missed out a lot of key elements from the book.

Some problems I had....

1. Barty Crouch Jr. is not present in the Riddle House at the beginning of the book, nor does he walk around the burnt camp site. It instantly destroys the mystery of "who summoned the dark mark" by showing him.

2. They should have showed something from the Quidditch World Cup game between Ireland and Bulgaria. I thought it was lame how Fudge proclaims "let the game begin", and then the next scene is after the game in the Weasley's tent. That's like General Dodonna telling the Rebel pilots in ANH "May the force be with us", and the following sequence is the Rebels celebrating the destruction of the death star.

3. The exclusion of Dobby and Winky. Dobby is the one who gives Harry the gillyweed, and we all know what Winky did at the World Cup....

4. How can they NOT introduce Bellatrix Lestrange? She should have been showed in the Pensive. All they needed was 30 seconds to do this just to illustrate how much of a loyal servant she is to Voldemort. Considering how she kills Sirius in the next book, it's inexcusable for her not to be shown in the GOF. I fear they will have somebody else kill Sirius in the next movie.

5. There was NO NEED for them to make the dragon chase Harry around the school. Not only does it not happen in the book, but the whole sequence appeals to the lowest common denominator. It's the same as Lucas choosing to have Yoda fight. Totally unnecessary, but it looks cool to people who are easily pleased....

6. The final task...the maze...so poorly done. Where was the sphinx? Where was the dementor? Where was the part of the maze that turned everything upside down. All they had was the maze close in and try to crush the wizards. So much potential to be done in this scene, but nothing was...

7. Another scene which I thought should have been included, but wasn't, was one where Harry is sneaking around the Castle at night and notices that Crouch is in Snape's office. In the book, it was a mysterious, creepy setting...and really needed to be in there.

In order to get all of my suggestions into the movie they could have done without one thing.....the dance. In the book, I hated all the drama surrounding the dance and it was embarassing being an adult and reading it. I understand it is part of teenage life, but as a reader, I just don't give a shit. My concern is about who will win the tournament, who sent the dark mark, and to learn more about other mysterious characters such as Snape.

Also, another pet peeve of mine......

I'm severely bothered with the confrontation between Harry and Voldemort. In my opinion, there is no way Harry should have left the graveyard alive. Voldemort is a far superior wizard. His Avada Kadavra should NOT have been block by Harry's Expelliarmus. I don't like how Rowling just introduces crap about how "when two wands with the same feather cast spells, they bind and show all the people who were killed by each wand". It was such a lame way for Harry to escape....

This post has been edited by Storm: 06 August 2006 - 02:29 PM

#11 User is offline   Jaded Wolf Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:16 PM

2. They should have showed something from the Quidditch World Cup game between Ireland and Bulgaria. I thought it was lame how Fudge proclaims "let the game begin", and then the next scene is after the game in the Weasley's tent. That's like General Dodonna telling the Rebel pilots in ANH "May the force be with us", and the following sequence is the Rebels celebrating the destruction of the death star.

I always thought that the quidditch matches sholdn't be added unless they have something to do with the progress of the story. In the first three ones, we see Harry get attacked in each match my magic or the dementors. When you read the books you know there are more quidditch matches then what the movies show but they are irrelevant to the story really. So I applaud the fact that the Quidditch World Cup wasn't shown in detail. It does nothing for the progression of the storyline.

5. There was NO NEED for them to make the dragon chase Harry around the school. Not only does it not happen in the book, but the whole sequence appeals to the lowest common denominator. It's the same as Lucas choosing to have Yoda fight. Totally unnecessary, but it looks cool to people who are easily pleased....

I feel this is just too nitpicky. Movie makers have to look at what sells movies. Harry flying around in a tight circle higher into the air only to nosedive and retrieve the egg, or a daring flight around the school with the dragon close behind. Maybe I am just easily pleased.

I'm severely bothered with the confrontation between Harry and Voldemort. In my opinion, there is no way Harry should have left the graveyard alive. Voldemort is a far superior wizard. His Avada Kadavra should NOT have been block by Harry's Expelliarmus. I don't like how Rowling just introduces crap about how "when two wands with the same feather cast spells, they bind and show all the people who were killed by each wand". It was such a lame way for Harry to escape....

I'm severely bothered with everyone always wanting the bad guys win. What Rowling did is unique, no doubt about that. If Harry was killed there then everyone would lament on how Harry never got redemption for his parents or that the series was ended too early. What? You would rather have Ron or Hermoine rise up and take on Voldemort. Nah, it just wouldn't work. Everything else though I agree. They could have shortened the Yule Ball and added in those critical scenes with the house elves (exclude the liberation though) and Barty showing up on Harry's magical map. Oh well though, with us not being the directors and editors, there isn't a whole lot we can do about it.
"And shepherds we shall be for Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti!!!"

#12 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2006 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (Jaded Wolf @ Aug 6 2006, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always thought that the quidditch matches sholdn't be added unless they have something to do with the progress of the story. In the first three ones, we see Harry get attacked in each match my magic or the dementors. When you read the books you know there are more quidditch matches then what the movies show but they are irrelevant to the story really. So I applaud the fact that the Quidditch World Cup wasn't shown in detail. It does nothing for the progression of the storyline.
I feel this is just too nitpicky.

I agree that the Quidditch World Cup did nothing to advance the movie, but I didn't like how they built up to this certain match and then never showed it. I would say "Eliminate the whole Quidditch World Cup from the movie", but you can't because of the death eaters and the dark mark that are present afterwards. However, the dance also fails to progress the story, so I would say "Show 5 minutes of the match" and "Eliminate the Yule Ball".

I'm severely bothered with everyone always wanting the bad guys win. What Rowling did is unique, no doubt about that. If Harry was killed there then everyone would lament on how Harry never got redemption for his parents or that the series was ended too early. What? You would rather have Ron or Hermoine rise up and take on Voldemort. Nah, it just wouldn't work. Everything else though I agree. They could have shortened the Yule Ball and added in those critical scenes with the house elves (exclude the liberation though) and Barty showing up on Harry's magical map. Oh well though, with us not being the directors and editors, there isn't a whole lot we can do about it.

I'm not saying Harry should have died, but I think something better could have occured in order for Harry to escape.

#13 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:32 PM

Storm: I agree with you about the dragon, and it's something I complained about amongst my friends at the time. The dragon should fly like an eagle, soaring for the most part and unable to stop on a dime. The whole point of Harry having his broom is that this makes him superior to the dragon, not its equal; Hary can stop on a dime. Once Harry cleared himself of the Dragon's breath, he could have outmaneuvered the thing so bad it would make it look stupid. That would have been more interesting in a movie than seeing Harry fly in long, straight, swooping arcs that even the dumbest dragon could follow. I don't however feel it's a major flaw in the film.

The Yule Ball plays out the character story that was in fact very important to Rowling. A complaint we all made when GOF the book came out was that it was like a "Sweet Valley Hogwarts" novel, but the fact is, that's the story JK wanted to tell, and it would have been unfaithful not to tell it.

I agree that the mystery got trimmed down too much, making the film essentially a simple action/adventure romance, but that's what you get when you write a book that is too long to make into a movie. You lose detail when you translate it. So GOF the movie is no substitute for the book. Big surprise; most film adaptations of books lose a lot in translation.

As for your final complaint, that's not really directed at the film. Rowling has written herself into a corner, and the last two books, which are more or less identically actionless, are proof of that. She ran out of story but doesn't want to give up her license to print money.

Supes: I don't get jealous. I get even. wink.gif

This post has been edited by civilian_number_two: 06 August 2006 - 10:33 PM

#14 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:29 PM

I'd have to agree with you. OOTP and HBP were both really, weak books. Initially I liked the OOTP because I thought I saw signs that Harry may turn into a dark wizard (which would be cool, although a little "Star Wars"-ish), however, he's back to being good old Harry in HBP.

The thing that bothered me about HBP is that absolutely nothing happened. I think Rowling realized "Nothing has really happened in the book so far, so I need something totally dramatic to occur in the end". We end up getting Dumbledore's death, which is the stupidest and most worthless death ever. His death may have been worth something if he drank all that poison and the locket was a true Horcrux. But since the real Horcrux was taken, Dumbledore died for no reason at all. He also looks like a total fool for trusting Snape so much and then getting betrayed.

#15 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:13 PM

I see Storm's point, Jade. He didn't mean that Harry should die. But there maybe should have been a more clever and believable way for him to escape the confrontation. While I think Priori Encantantum (sp?) is original, it does make Harry's side of the battle automatically win without any true struggle. Could it have been done a better way? Probably.

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size