Chefelf.com Night Life: G-Damn It! The Clive Revell Emperor Was More Convincing - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

G-Damn It! The Clive Revell Emperor Was More Convincing Than the Added Ian McDiarmond Insert in the ESB DVD/Special Edition

#1 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 August 2006 - 01:19 PM

The Clive Revell voice/old lady under make up and chimp matted in eyes Emperor was more mysterious than the Ian McDiarmond inseted scene to preserve continuity. The original scene presented a character that was more sinister and detached, was he an actual being, or a disembodied spirit who controlled Vader, as opposed to the G-Damn 16 year old girl getting a cell phone call at the mall scene with the Ian McDiarmond. The whole damned conversation went on with a tone that was beyond irritating. This rendered a scene that would send a chill up my spine upon repeated viewing as an eye sore. Why in blazes they couldn't model the Emperor's appearance in ROTJ to fit his look in ESB is beyond me. The dulling of the lines as to whether he was a human, alien, dark spirit, or hybrid, had an appeal to it. Instead, we got the angry old man sitting on the park bench in ESB, complaining that the neighborhood has gone to hell and he remembers when gas was 5 cents a gallon.

If the stormtroopers don't all have the Temura/Jango Fett voice in the ANH DVD, then this scene didn't need a reworking.

#2 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:08 PM

I didn't purchase the SW dvd's because I heard about all those silly "modifications" and that was one of my biggest complaints. I loved the eerieness of that Emperor. He was strange! And the diologe between the two was haunting. You didn't know what to think upon the first viewing of that scene. Flawless. But, Lucas didn't think so, thus, I did not purchase such an abomination. Maybe I'll buy the Original Original Trilogy when it comes out. I didn'y really care for Ian Mcdiarmid as the Emperor either in ROTJ. Though his sarcasm was pretty entertaining toward a growing in the force Luke, it just didn't capture what we were given in ESB. Awesome to see someone say something against those "modifications."

#3 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE (Darth Player @ Aug 5 2006, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Clive Revell voice/old lady under make up and chimp matted in eyes Emperor was more mysterious than the Ian McDiarmond inseted scene to preserve continuity. The original scene presented a character that was more sinister and detached, was he an actual being, or a disembodied spirit who controlled Vader, as opposed to the G-Damn 16 year old girl getting a cell phone call at the mall scene with the Ian McDiarmond. The whole damned conversation went on with a tone that was beyond irritating. This rendered a scene that would send a chill up my spine upon repeated viewing as an eye sore. Why in blazes they couldn't model the Emperor's appearance in ROTJ to fit his look in ESB is beyond me. The dulling of the lines as to whether he was a human, alien, dark spirit, or hybrid, had an appeal to it. Instead, we got the angry old man sitting on the park bench in ESB, complaining that the neighborhood has gone to hell and he remembers when gas was 5 cents a gallon.

If the stormtroopers don't all have the Temura/Jango Fett voice in the ANH DVD, then this scene didn't need a reworking.

I agree.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#4 User is offline   johnnycancer Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:43 AM

I rarely say this, but, I was flabbergasted when I first found out about this. Of all the continuity errors that needed to be addressed, Lucas had to go after this one? This isn't even a continuity error. ROTJ came out in 1983. Revenge of the Sith came out in 2005. As an audience, we already know that Emperor Palpatine is not going to be the same actor!

If having different actors is such a continuity problem, then why wasn't Alec Guiness digitally inserted into all of the Obi-Wan scenes in the PT movies?

Anyway, thanks for posting about this. I hate this modification; it's one of several reasons why I can't bear to watch, let alone own any of the Star Wars special editions.

johnnycancer

#5 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:43 AM

I think they should have used the same actor for the Emperor in ROTJ they had, just have the appearance more closely resemble the Emperor we see in the regular ESB scene. The new dialogue gives the scene an air like a cell phone call the guy next to you gets in a movie theatre. The dramatci effect is zero, whereas THE SAME SCENE packed a ounch before it was toyed with.

#6 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:29 AM

I like both versions, really. The latter is not as good as Clive, but .... I still find that it does correlate to ROTJ a little better. Am I justifying GL's change to the movie though? Not really.

You do bring up good point, Darth Player.
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#7 User is offline   Zatoichi Icon

• Left Hand Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Conquering the World! Being the who when you call "Who's there?"

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:27 PM

On an odd note, from watching the films so many times I kinda had the dialogue memorized. I get confused every time I watch that scene now.
Apparently writing about JM here is his secret weakness. Muwahaha!!!! Now I have leverage over him and am another step closer towards my goal of world domination.

"And the Evil that was vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the guise of man shall he walk amongst the innocent and Terror shall consume they that dwell upon the Earth. The skies will rain fire. The seas shall become as blood. The righteous shall fall before the wicked! And all creation shall tremble before the burning standards of Hell!" - Mephisto

Kurgan X showed me this web comic done with Legos. It pokes fun at all six Star Wars films and I found it to be extremely entertaining.
<a href="http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html" target="_blank">http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html</a>

#8 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:37 PM

Owner: DVD OT. Christmas gift.

I can't bring myself to watch the ESB disc.

#9 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:50 PM

Just do it. It's only painful for a few minutes. Then the pain dulls down to a lingering depression in the pit of your stomach.

Not bad at all.

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#10 User is offline   johnnycancer Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE (StarWarsIsUs @ Aug 23 2006, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just do it. It's only painful for a few minutes. Then the pain dulls down to a lingering depression in the pit of your stomach.

Not bad at all.

Maybe, but, I still can't bring myself to watch it yet either.

johnnycancer

#11 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:44 AM

sorry to hear that Johnnycancer.

It's just I'm really put-out with George Lucas. His terrible changes to the movies can cause axtroxes in someone to breed like rats. This isn't a good thing. It can cause a lot of suffering to the viewer.

There is also the possibility that the axtroxes have taken over GL and infected the pathways of his brain. So that he can take over the world eventually.

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#12 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:51 AM

Whatever. But it was funny as hell to read the Chefelf Reasons to Hate the Phantom Menace*, wasn't it?

(*and all of the successive lists, of course)

#13 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:30 AM

I can see you don't take the threat of Axtroxes seriously, Despondent. Not only are you doing a diservice to humanity by denying their existance, but you yourself will fall under their control soon. They will take over if we don't start doing something.

yes, Chef's lists were hilarious. The Force is with them.

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#14 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:17 PM

Clive Revell owns Ian McDiarmid.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#15 User is offline   johnnycancer Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (Lord Aquaman @ Aug 24 2006, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Clive Revell owns Ian McDiarmid.

Well put.

johnnycancer

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply