Chefelf.com Night Life: So Basically Shmi Skywalker was..... - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

So Basically Shmi Skywalker was..... a feeble minded gambling whore who was no good with money?

#1 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:47 PM

So just to get this down in concrete terms, Shmi was a gambling, simple minded woman who threw away her freedom as well as her son's, losing it to a flying green thingie that could have been easily subdued with a household broom. And she wasn't much of a housekeeper since her child had to come up with contraptions which 'made her life easier'. Working for Wattoo makes him seem to be the primary bread winner as well. Her miraculous pregnancy was something she seemed to just shrug off, and when the Elder Lars shacks up with her she seems like she's as content living there as she was on the Sandpeople's torture rack, 'please don't mind my little wimpers of pain, I'm not used to being in this position for so long, thanks for having me over, you're wonderful hosts....."

Anger at Mom would have been a more logical reason for Anakin to become Vader, maybe if Lucas didn't kill the old gal off in ATOC, Palpatine could have said "join me or I'll send you back to Tattooine to live with Mommy! Bantha burgers every night with no end in sight, this I have forseen!!"

What a waste of a character.......

#2 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:56 PM

I know what you mean. Personally, the main thing that bugged me about Shmi was the whole virgin birth... apparently, midi-chlorians are Anakin's father. And that is somewhat gay. At least with Jesus, the Holy Spirit was the father.

A Jedi (Qui-Gon? Who knows) was probably in Tatooine one day, got drunk, and had sex with Shmi. And Shmi doesn't remember. That's the most logical and believable explanation. For me.

It is a waste of character; she could have been used for so much. But instead, she was killed off, and only used in a half-assed way, if even that.
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#3 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (StarWarsIsUs @ Jul 27 2006, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A Jedi (Qui-Gon? Who knows) was probably in Tatooine one day, got drunk, and had sex with Shmi. And Shmi doesn't remember. That's the most logical and believable explanation. For me.

I think it was Hammerhead, I don't know why I failed to pick up on the oh so obvious resemblance before.

Shmi has the kind of 'old lady thief liar whore' vibe that the old Rose character had in Cameron's Titanic. Sure, just go ahead and toss the emerald necklace over the ship's railing in the midst of a multi million dollar expedition, no worries......

#4 User is offline   MyPantsAreOnFire Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:42 PM

Long story short, there's zero reason we need to see or even know anything about Anakin's parents. Start the series with him already in his late teens or as a young adult (when Obi-Wan meets him as "already a great pilot" is when we should meet him) and make him some kind of bullshit "Jedi orphan" or somesuch nonsense...delving into his parents is just excess baggage that serves no purpose and bogs the films down.

#5 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (StarWarsIsUs @ Jul 27 2006, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know what you mean. Personally, the main thing that bugged me about Shmi was the whole virgin birth... apparently, midi-chlorians are Anakin's father. And that is somewhat gay. At least with Jesus, the Holy Spirit was the father.

It is a waste of character; she could have been used for so much. But instead, she was killed off, and only used in a half-assed way, if even that.

Yeah, Shmi was a waste, and she looked nothing like her son (I would have had an easier time believing she was the mother of Natalie Portman's character). Of course, Qui-Gon & Jar Jar were also a waste.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#6 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:31 PM

Anakin was a dirty, low-down, son-of-a-Tusken Raider. Search your feelings.

#7 User is offline   miladyblue Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:26 PM

I still say she woke up after a wild party, hung over, with a big smile on her face and her panties on the ceiling fan. tongue.gif

Seriously, though, Chef made a great point - her situation, her "plight" if you will, was ridiculous. Neither a rich planet like Naboo, nor a powerful, influential order like the Jedi could be bothered with taking a few moments out of their busy schedules to free her. huh.gif

There was a lot more that could have been done with this character. Palpy could have manipulated Anakin even more directly, by making it seem the Jedi were out to get her, or something like that. Considering how inane even Palpatine was in the PT, I am surprised this DIDN'T happen.

#8 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 28 July 2006 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE (miladyblue @ Jul 27 2006, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still say she woke up after a wild party, hung over, with a big smile on her face and her panties on the ceiling fan. tongue.gif

Seriously, though, Chef made a great point - her situation, her "plight" if you will, was ridiculous. Neither a rich planet like Naboo, nor a powerful, influential order like the Jedi could be bothered with taking a few moments out of their busy schedules to free her. huh.gif

There was a lot more that could have been done with this character. Palpy could have manipulated Anakin even more directly, by making it seem the Jedi were out to get her, or something like that. Considering how inane even Palpatine was in the PT, I am surprised this DIDN'T happen.

Agreed. Her "plight" was ridiculous, as were many things in the prequels.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#9 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:21 PM

Guys, I hate to defend the prequels but the whole premise of this thread against Shmi is incorrect.

Shmi became a slave because she and her family were captured by Pirates when she was a child, and they were all sold into slavery. She was a pretty girl when she was young and she was used as a servant, but as she got older and her beauty faded, she was made to do more menial labours. She was nearly freed several times in her life, but her dreams never materialized and she accepted her fate as a slave.

#10 User is offline   MyPantsAreOnFire Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:03 PM

"Nice girl from a nice family...SHE'S A HOOKER!!!"

#11 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (Paladin @ Aug 15 2006, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys, I hate to defend the prequels but the whole premise of this thread against Shmi is incorrect.

Shmi became a slave because she and her family were captured by Pirates when she was a child, and they were all sold into slavery. She was a pretty girl when she was young and she was used as a servant, but as she got older and her beauty faded, she was made to do more menial labours. She was nearly freed several times in her life, but her dreams never materialized and she accepted her fate as a slave.

"You're Breaking My Heart!" Maybe the wide eyed indifference of the role by the actress who played her is at fault. She seemed to have the same exp​ression and passivity on the Sandpeople torture rack seen in ATOC as she did in the kitchen in TPM.

"There was no father...." Sleeping with legs apart wide open and just accepting a kid showing up one day is as surprising as being on the aforementioned rack. "Oh my, how did I find myself in this predicament?"

#12 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (Paladin @ Aug 15 2006, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, she's the little girl from Waterworld, all grown up.

After that adventure, Shmee never wanted to be around water again which is quite understandable.

Kevin C. flew her to Tattooine (Because of her tattoo) and then ran into a female Calamari, who subsequently gave birth to Admiral Ackbar. Shmee's commenting every now and then "I hate Water" had cheery slave son Annie start saying "Well, I hate Sand" to try to wrest a smile from her cold and usually clamped lips.

#13 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:04 PM

... oh. Oh. OHH! MY <INSERT DIVINE DEITY HERE>! That just, completely and actually makes sense!

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#14 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE (Paladin @ Aug 15 2006, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's still ridiculous that no one even tried to free her (or even thought about it, from what we can see).

Incidentally, what kind of 'labours' was she doing while she was young and pretty? huh.gif
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#15 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE (Helena @ Aug 17 2006, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's still ridiculous that no one even tried to free her (or even thought about it, from what we can see).

Incidentally, what kind of 'labours' was she doing while she was young and pretty? huh.gif

More importantly, what 'labors' was she performing for Watoo, a 'slave master' she could easily take out with a swing from a broom......

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size