• (2 Pages)
  • +

Brat Camp To civilize or die

#1 User is offline   der Mudda Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 24 March 2004 - 01:29 PM

On TV over here is an interesting programme called "Brat Camp". Six venomous (mainly drug induced) confused British teenagers are sent into the bosom of the Redcliffe Community in Utah and stay there until they become humans. Or at least until the leaders say they can return to the bosom of their families. The 'education' seems to entail food deprivation and physical exhaustion, living wild in the wilderness and learning survival skills from leaders with native American names.

How would this appeal to members of the forum?
Don't hit your mum, she's doing her best

#2 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 24 March 2004 - 01:41 PM

I'll hold judgement and give it a watch tonight, but I'm not convinced personally...
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#3 User is offline   Chris Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 24 March 2004 - 07:12 PM

Gah. I watched that last week, and the parents who sent their children to that hellhole (and I don't just mean Utah in general smile.gif) seemed to be of the mindset that their kids taking drugs was a sign of posession by Satan. God forbid that they might have a reason for doing so besides wilful self-destruction.

#4 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 25 March 2004 - 03:12 AM

Didn't see it in the end, but from what I've read, the nicest way to say what I would think is that I would not be pleased. Probably push me quite the other way...

Less Is More v4

#5 Guest_Icey!_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 25 March 2004 - 05:28 AM

I'd quite like to see all those, so called "parents" that send their drug abusing, "satanic" children try to open their eyes for one second, and actually try to realize that THEY might indeed be the reason that they are on drugs.

Haven't seen the show though laugh.gif

#6 Guest_Owyn_*

Posted 25 March 2004 - 07:17 AM

Haven't seen the show, but most poeple don't take drugs because of their parents. Many of them just use that as an excuse.

#7 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 25 March 2004 - 10:19 AM

Considering the fact that I despise all reality TV in general, aside from the odd guilty viewing of The Osbournes, I doubt the show would appeal to me much at all. But then, I live in Canada, so since we don't have this particular show (although I'm sure American TV will rip the idea off soon enough), I shouldn't really pass judgement.

#8 User is offline   spacemonkey Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 25 March 2004 - 11:11 AM

one guy got sent for doing marijuana. his family appear to have 20 cars, all of which are expensive.
wanna do the math?
also, a lot of the kids seem pretty well adjusted to me. ok, one girl hit her mum, but she's the one i hate in the show anyway.
one guy got sent because he wakes up at 1 pm. what the hell? oh no, he's 16 but didn't go and get a job after school. teh horror!

#9 User is offline   SkinnedAlive Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 25 March 2004 - 12:43 PM

Sounds like they all just need a bit of tender loving care. rolleyes.gif

#10 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 25 March 2004 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (Heccubus @ Mar 25 2004, 10:19 AM)
Considering the fact that I despise all reality TV in general, aside from the odd guilty viewing of The Osbournes...

FILTH! MURDER KELLY! BUTCHER!

There, 'nuff said.

Less Is More v4

#11 User is offline   Chris Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 25 March 2004 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (Icey! @ Mar 25 2004, 05:28 AM)
I'd quite like to see all those, so called "parents" that send their drug abusing, "satanic" children try to open their eyes for one second, and actually try to realize that THEY might indeed be the reason that they are on drugs.

Haven't seen the show though laugh.gif

I think most people take drugs because they enjoy their effects. What is never really addressed is HOW, exactly, that's a bad thing. People drink alcohol because they enjoy its effects on them, and the state acknowledges that there isn't anything inherently wrong with this; why not apply the same logic to marajuana? It seems to me that parents who send their son to Reconditioning Camp are letting the state's concept of what is and isn't acceptable dictate their own moral view.

#12 User is offline   Lachie Dazdarian Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 26 March 2004 - 02:30 AM

You could watch TV less.

Crap, I'm such a hypocrite.

#13 Guest_Xicey_*

Posted 26 March 2004 - 06:04 AM

OK, so here comes ICEY'S VIEW of kids doing crap their parents disapprove off.

So lets assume it's not something like the kid was born as such as gay or bisexual or that it was an act of love (that is, dates an unaccepted race). WELL! The easiest persons to blame are ofcourse the parents! Because, they raise their kids up and create their moral standards from since they are born. Except if they decided to let Television and School do all the teaching. (immediate F on the parenting test) So their offspring should ofcourse, follow that standard that their parents give them. Anyway, I THINK that the reason that kids sink to prostitution, drugs and drinking from age eleven (know of cases, very scary) is because, the parents just stopped caring! Ofcourse they will try to blame someone else, because that would be admitting they failed, and saying that to their faces.... That's not good TV! That is not going to sell your book and most importantly, the parents are most propably the ones that try to look for an answer that points the finger at something else. Rock music, Dungeons and Dragons, interweb, raves, parties, friends are scum... Whatever floats their boat far enough to get off blame free.

A lot of people will disagree with me, and most propably will be, but that still won't change my opinion that when a parent stops giving a fuck about their kids, the kids suffer.

#14 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 26 March 2004 - 12:02 PM

Bravo, Xicey! Well said.

Der Mudda: What's your view on Yahtzee and his... chemical intake? smile.gif

Less Is More v4

#15 User is offline   der Mudda Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 26 March 2004 - 01:37 PM

Well Chyld, I think Yahtzee suffers more from sweetie overload than a major drug habit - one puff does not a hophead make! I should perhaps mention here that I am pretty unshockable, having been a copper and drug squad officer before I married. rolleyes.gif
Yahtzee does have an elder brother, a hard rock drummer and livin' the lifestyle.

I just thought it was kinda sad that the kids in Brat Camp were so unhappy. To be fair the parents weren't THAT bad, and genuinely were trying to help their kids -how much does it cost to send a kid out there?

Parents also get rejected by their kids - that hurts too I think.
Don't hit your mum, she's doing her best

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size