• +

Smoke Up, Gentlemen

#16 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:01 PM

We've had a smoking ban in every indoor facility in Vancouver for more than a decade now. When it was introduced we heard all of these arguments. Now folks simply go outdoors to smoke. They are so conditioned that folks smoke outdoors at private parties that take place in the homes of people who smoke. People smoke outdoors in their own homes! I guess even the smokers clued in that smoking makes a home smell like an ashtray, yellows the walls and yes, possibly endangers the baby.

The smoking ban didn't hurt business for the bars and restaurants (in the long run; there were ill effects at first), but made them nicer places to visit if you're a non-smoker. Especially the bars. And man, concerts are a different thing now. You can actually see the band!

Smokers no longer talk about how they are being discriminated against, and folks don't have to defend the policies with letters to newspapers about how second-hand smoke made their eyes sting. However, here in Vancouver you can smoke on the beach and in public parks, so it may be less restricted here than what some of you are describing.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#17 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:19 PM

That's so true, nobody smokes in doors here, at any venue. In fact, leaving for a smoke is seen as a nice change of scenery or a 'take 5' from the loud noise.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#18 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Geeking out and nerding it up.

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:28 PM

I'll have to step away from the majority and say that I actually enjoy the smell of smoke (or at the very least am not bothered).

At a few of the lan parties I went to about 4 goers were smokers. We always took a break from the action every 2 hours or so and they smoked while a few more hung around with them. I've got to agree with Jordan about the 'take 5' thing, it always alowed us time to talk about things that wern't insults or crys of being killed.

This post has been edited by Kirby: 17 July 2006 - 03:32 PM

The Power of Christ Impales You!
- Tagline for Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

You've read it, you can't un-read it. Stay tooned for more
TALES OF INTEREST.
I like to be part of the crowd so I want to say that Icey is the best guy ever

#19 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Jul 17 2006, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People smoke outdoors in their own homes!

huh.gif

#20 User is offline   Zewb Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Things and stuff.

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:19 PM

LOL
"It's gettin' to be re-goddamn-diculous. If you guys don't start thinking as men, we're gonna have a lousy country."

-John Wayne

#21 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:30 PM

Hey, I would go outside of my own house to smoke, too (if I smoked). Because the smoke seeps into everything and you never get that smell out; also it can turn white things yellow and keep company away.
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#22 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:33 PM

I have a question, are factories allowed to smoke too?

#23 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:46 PM

Hehe, good point.
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#24 User is offline   Sieve Boy Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Hockey, Subaru

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:08 AM

First off let me say that I'm a smoker and have been since I was 15 or so...

In my area smoking is pretty much being banned everywhere, it WILL be banned in all workplaces and public places in 2007 by state mandate. Personally I don't care if smoking is banned in every public area except for bars, grills, and restraunts in general. At most dining in establishments across the world they do have seperate areas for smoking and non-smoking. At bars, smoking is as accepted as bats are in the game of baseball... to outlaw smoking in public bars is ridiculous IMHO. So where are smokers going to go to smoke?

As far as bars go, I don't really give a shit if someone is offended by someone smoking while they are there. It is pretty much expected and if you are that naive than you probably shouldn't be socializing and drinking in such an establishment. My best friend manages two bars in Champaign, IL on the University of Illinois campus. Next year smoking will be banned in all public places throughout Champaign, without the draw of smokers (which is expected in NORMALITY) all aformentioned establishments will suffer tremendously and many will fall by the wayside. All the while there are other bars and establishments that DO NOT CONDONE smoking, why can't these whiny bitches just go there and stop their treehugging angry.gif

Sorry folks if I've offended anyone, regardless of the fact that I'm a smoker, I agree with Zewb and fully support smoking in bars and public dining in establishments.

#25 User is offline   Zewb Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Things and stuff.

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:22 AM

Listen, this thread is about how it is wrong to illegalize smoking in bars and other places where it should be allowed. This has been going on in California.

This thread is also about how the anti-tobacco experts are stretching the truth as to how dangerous SHS is.
"It's gettin' to be re-goddamn-diculous. If you guys don't start thinking as men, we're gonna have a lousy country."

-John Wayne

#26 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:20 AM

QUOTE (Kirby @ Jul 17 2006, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At a few of the lan parties I went to about 4 goers were smokers. We always took a break from the action every 2 hours or so and they smoked while a few more hung around with them.

I wish people were that kind over here, because...

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Jul 19 2006, 04:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because the smoke seeps into everything and you never get that smell out; also it can turn white things yellow and keep company away.

Absolutely. I was at a weekend-LAN once and everyone just smoked inside. I think you could cut and chew the air at some point and it was really annoying. And annoying things turn into unhealthy things over time by my logic, therefore SHS is Satan's son or at least a lesser cousin.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#27 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:56 AM

QUOTE (Sieve Boy @ Jul 19 2006, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First off let me say that I'm a smoker and have been since I was 15 or so...

In my area smoking is pretty much being banned everywhere, it WILL be banned in all workplaces and public places in 2007 by state mandate. Personally I don't care if smoking is banned in every public area except for bars, grills, and restraunts in general. At most dining in establishments across the world they do have seperate areas for smoking and non-smoking. At bars, smoking is as accepted as bats are in the game of baseball... to outlaw smoking in public bars is ridiculous IMHO. So where are smokers going to go to smoke?

As far as bars go, I don't really give a shit if someone is offended by someone smoking while they are there. It is pretty much expected and if you are that naive than you probably shouldn't be socializing and drinking in such an establishment. My best friend manages two bars in Champaign, IL on the University of Illinois campus. Next year smoking will be banned in all public places throughout Champaign, without the draw of smokers (which is expected in NORMALITY) all aformentioned establishments will suffer tremendously and many will fall by the wayside. All the while there are other bars and establishments that DO NOT CONDONE smoking, why can't these whiny bitches just go there and stop their treehugging angry.gif

Sorry folks if I've offended anyone, regardless of the fact that I'm a smoker, I agree with Zewb and fully support smoking in bars and public dining in establishments.

Again, like I said above:

Vancouver banned smoking in bars more than a decade ago. This same concern was raised, that all of the bars would go out of business because all of their money came from smokers. Opponents of this notions said that everyone at bars smoked because non-smokers just hated being around all that smoke. These folks suggested that these businesses would improve with a smoking ban. So the thing was tried, and guess what? You can't cross Vancouver without passing a bar, restaurant or night club. There are pubs here with cover charges. A cover charge and no band. Pubs charge for beer about 2-3 times what it would cost to drink at home, and you have to line up to get into one. The restaurant, pub and night club business is booming. The smokers go outside, smoke and chat on the street, and then return to the club to resume drinking. It's not a big deal.

The argument "Smoking is a part of going to a pub" is silly. You might as well say that smoking is a part of going to the movies. Smoking has been banned in movie theatres since the seventies, but it was commonplace before then. Just because we're doing it now doesn't mean we ought to be doing it. Pubs seldom even sell cigarettes, so they really oughtn't to give a shit whether people can smoke there or not. They sell alcohol, and that's all they should care about. The smoking thing is just something some of the patrons like to do at the same time. The biggest argument raised against smoking in those places is that it creates an unsafe work environment for the waitresses, and Zewb, don't keep saying that second hand smoke isn't all that dangerous. That's like saying rape doesn't really hurt that bad. If it's dangerous at all, they can ban it all they want. But more to the point, it's unwanted by the workers, and before you say they can get another job, don't.

No one cares if people want to smoke when they drink. Have fun, do it. Folks just want the fumes to be circulated into the open city air rather than in the confines of the pubs and restaurants. These places are now a lot more fun to be at, and I sare say for the smokers as well, now that they are not hotboxes. Having been to pub concerts before and after the ban, I can say I wouldn't want to go back to the old ways.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#28 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:02 PM

i never had a problem with going outside to smoke. although at parties, as different freind cycle out you can easily spend most of the time out there...

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size