Chefelf.com Night Life: Trilby's Notes SPOILER CENTRE!!! - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (21 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Trilby's Notes SPOILER CENTRE!!!

#61 User is offline   geluf Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 29 June 2006 - 03:27 PM

Ok, this is driving me absolutely insane. Somebody PLEASE help me figure out whats going on.

I'm in the last room, and I keep talking and talking, and finally, after around 60 or 70 times spamming the same message Trilby decides he can't keep talking anymore. I try to stand, no dice. I try to grab the idol. Nothing. I try to grab it again and it says he can't move at all now.

Ok, great, thats good.

Now, I type Die.

No dice.

crazy tall man appears, I type "die" again.

Nope.

I panic. I tried to talk. Nothing. I try to move. Nothing.

I type die AGAIN.

Nothing.

Tall Man comes to the stump. I try one more time to type die.

Game Over.

So I though maybe I did something out of order or wrong ealier in the game. I play all the way thorugh again, following the walkthrough posted earlier to ensure that I do it all step by step.

I get back to the last room.

I make Trilby talk till he can't talk anymore. I make him try to move till it says he can't move anymore.

Tall Man shows up, I type die.

Nothing.

I'm about to lose my mind here. What the hell am I doing wrong?

This post has been edited by geluf: 29 June 2006 - 03:33 PM

#62 User is offline   Willeth Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 29 June 2006 - 03:40 PM

Hm. I did it first time. The first thig I did was to type 'die', then a lod of other things, but I know that ultimately I was typing 'die' over and over. Just tell him to do anything at every opportunity you can until you only have one chance left.

#63 User is offline   geluf Icon

• New Cop

Posted 29 June 2006 - 03:57 PM

Alright, so I just went through the game AGAIN (that'll be time number 3) in case I screwed something up again and got to the last room.

Once again, I do everything the human mind can concieve of until Trilby won't talk and won't move and I type Die...several times in fact, right up to the moment where I lose the game.

I'm about to give up here. There's nothing left to do at this point.

#64 User is offline   Willeth Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:17 PM

You're not missing anything earlier on. If you've got to that room, you've done everything right up to then.

Just keep trying.

#65 User is offline   geluf Icon

• New Cop

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:37 PM

Just in case my order is wrong or something, here's a list of what I'm doing:

First, I TALK about random stuff and then I use the F3 trick to cycle through the same conversation no less than around 45 times. Finally it says he can't speak.

Next, I type MOVE, then GET IDOL, then STAND UP, then LOOK, then LOOK AT LENKMANN, LOOK AT SIOBHAN, LOOK AT COAT, GET COAT, LOOK AT STUMP.

I keep repeating these commands randomly.

I never get the "The only think keeping me alive was my stubborn will" message. Ever.

#66 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:49 PM

Well, maybe you should try talking about all the important things, and not just repeating one thing 45 times...

Talk about Siobhan, the idol, the ritual, the stump, the ethereal realm, the tall man twice, the prophecy, the order and whatnot. Look at your surroundings, try to move, put on a good show and then kick the bucket.

This post has been edited by Gobbler: 29 June 2006 - 04:51 PM

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#67 User is offline   geluf Icon

• New Cop

Posted 29 June 2006 - 05:29 PM

Oh man, finally!

To tell you the truth though, I have no idea what I did differently this time then all the other times...

#68 User is offline   Yahtzee Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:55 PM

Okay, I've had enough of this. There is a very simple solution for the final scene. You don't have to spam commands or anything.

What you do is this: at the start of the scene, type MOVE or any equivalent so that Trilby's injury gets worse. After that you don't have to do anything but wait. After 500 game loops (12.5 seconds) the first 'getting weaker' message appears. After another 500 game loops the second one (buzzsaw lungs) appears. After another 500 loops Trilby will give the whole 'will to live' spiel and only after that can you DIE. There, that's it.
As I walked through the valley of the shadow of death, I realised that it could do with a lick of paint.

#69 User is offline   geluf Icon

• New Cop

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:05 PM

That explains it. I must have typed "Move" sooner in my last attempt and it played out like it was supposed to.

Before, I wasn't attempting to move until AFTER I had gotten the "can't talk" screen. And by then of course, its too late.

Cool then. Sorry to frustrate you like that Yahtzee, I didn't mean to be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Fantastic job as always with the game though. Top notch.

#70 User is offline   therantinghuman Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Interests:FullyRamblomatic.Com, Chris & Trilby

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:35 PM

I just realised I hadn't commented about how good the game is. So, here goes:

WOW!!! I mean, WOW!!! This one is just too awesome for words! Here I was, thinking, man, that Yahtzee puts a lot of thinking into the storyline of his games, after playing 5DAS and 7DAS. And now, he goes on to expand it even more! So many characters, the whole cursed wood thing, multiple flashbacks to different periods in time, no holes in the plot (except for that birthday slip-up. But it's a retcon now)... Wow. Why can't major game publishers think like this?
I'm hungry.

#71 User is offline   EkkieBurt Icon

• New Cop

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:41 PM

Once again, great game. But the thing that really irritates me is all the unanswered questions that are left over. So perhaps if the Y man is to do another money run, and make a special addition… For God’s sake, implement a behind the scenes explanation of things and events, because I like to know all the niggley details.

And while I’m here, I may as well ask: Yahtzee, what’s your opinion on people posting their AGS creations on your forum? and would you ever consider starting up an amateur adventure game forum, where people can discuss and critique each other’s work
-Hell is other people...-

#72 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 30 June 2006 - 02:02 AM

QUOTE (joetime @ Jun 29 2006, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone else turn into John DeFoe for about ten seconds? I thought it was some cutscene until i realized i could move the character around.

Yep, happened to me too once, in the 'dark' hotel hallways. I'm still not sure if this is supposed to be a symbolic hallucination or a bug.

QUOTE (EkkieBurt @ Jun 30 2006, 05:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And while I’m here, I may as well ask: Yahtzee, what’s your opinion on people posting their AGS creations on your forum? and would you ever consider starting up an amateur adventure game forum, where people can discuss and critique each other’s work

To end his despotic reign with his own hands??? Are you insane? biggrin.gif

But to be serious, I'm saying from my own experience that "...discuss and critique each other’s work" usually has a bad connotation to it, since unless every forum member is an exceptionally mature human being (which they're not), it will not be exactly constructive criticism that'd go on. More like 'Damn, I love your game, because the protagonist says he likes the same kind of music as I do!' or 'Screw it, your game was shit because I didn't like the setting!'
This isn't so yet because power centralizes in Yahtzee's hand here and
1. he makes GOOD games,
2. he doesn't try to make himself popular by game-making, he does it from his heart, and that's what makes a work of art great.

Moreover, I shudder to think what'd happen if anyone could post their creations here. Many stupid (or very young) people would get the idea of schmoozing themselves into popularism by posting up some 'Escape from my House'-style game (exp​ression originates from Yahtzee) and anarchy would break out, since even the mature people wouldn't overlook that.

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 30 June 2006 - 02:09 AM

#73 User is offline   Zewb Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Things and stuff.

Posted 30 June 2006 - 02:05 AM

I thought the 7DAS flashback was awesome, mainly because it sort of breaks the fourth wall. I mean, Trilby has no idea what a certain ship's cargo hold is going to look like 400 years in the future. But the viewer does, and that's all that matters. Breaking the fourth wall makes a game a lot scarier, like all the crazy stuff that happens in Eternal Darkness when you're character goes batshit.

Anyway, I'm going to seriously review this game, now that I'm not all hyped about it.

To be honest, there's not many flaws in the game, but here are the ones I noticed:

At the end of the game, if you don't move right away, you could end up not being able to win.

The motion chisel part was a bit vague. For me, anyway.

The whisper ambience is a bit short, and you can tell where it loops. Not really a flaw, since you don't really notice it because the game is so immersive.

Other than that, the game is perfect.

This post has been edited by Zewb: 30 June 2006 - 02:22 AM

"It's gettin' to be re-goddamn-diculous. If you guys don't start thinking as men, we're gonna have a lousy country."

-John Wayne

#74 User is offline   Maelin Icon

• New Cop

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:54 AM

I'm actually surprised so many people have had trouble with the ending. When I played it, I tried all kinds of ways to get out and didn't manage it the first time, but that was partially because I wasn't sure what was going to happen. So I died, then reloaded and tried it again, and figured it out almost by accident.

To be honest, Lenkmann's clue about dying on my own terms didn't help at all. I didn't even notice it the first time, and the second time I was skipping through dialogue so I could try the puzzle again.

Yahtzee, if you release any more versions, you might want to consider making the last puzzle a little different so that people can't get to a stage where they are still trying things out but they didn't accomplish enough in the first time block to be able to win the game any more. It's a real cause for frustration, when there are hidden tasks that must be done before a certain point to avoid 'dead ends' further down the line. Sierra's X Quest games were particularly bad for that kind of thing.

Unless you just don't care, that's good too.

#75 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:40 AM

Well, he did say he wanted to give a tribute to old Sierra-style text parser games, I guess a dead-end right at the end of the game is a part of this tribute.

• (21 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size