• +
  • « First

Tilby's Notes The new game

#376 User is offline   Vradash Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:43 PM

Just completed the game...and it's really, really great. biggrin.gif
In my opinion 5DAS, 7DAS and Trilbys Notes have too less music. smile.gif There should be more.
*jumps happily around*
Visit #fullyramblomatic on Quakenet NOW! If you don't, Bill Gates will get all your money.

#377 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:It depends on my current psychosis.

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (Vradash @ Nov 1 2006, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just completed the game...and it's really, really great. biggrin.gif
In my opinion 5DAS, 7DAS and Trilbys Notes have too less music. smile.gif There should be more.
*jumps happily around*

I have just remembered about Jack Dark.

This post has been edited by Nostaw: 01 November 2006 - 02:33 PM

#378 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:37 PM

At least he's complaining about the quantity, not the quality.

But seriously, this is supposed to be a horror-thriller-whatever adventure game, not a fucking Trilby musical. Sometimes it's the lack of music that adds a lot to the tension.

#379 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 02 November 2006 - 03:52 AM

... a Trilby musical. Now that's a thought worth entertaining, innit?

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#380 User is offline   Vradash Icon

• New Cop

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (David-kyo @ Nov 1 2006, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At least he's complaining about the quantity, not the quality.

But seriously, this is supposed to be a horror-thriller-whatever adventure game, not a fucking Trilby musical. Sometimes it's the lack of music that adds a lot to the tension.

But if the right music is chosen, it can be great. I was not thinking about something like Bananaphone. blink.gif
Visit #fullyramblomatic on Quakenet NOW! If you don't, Bill Gates will get all your money.

#381 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 03 November 2006 - 03:56 AM

... a Trilby musical in the Bananaphone-style... alrighty, I think I should stop at this point.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#382 User is offline   BernieLaraemie Icon

• New Cop
  • Interests:Games, music, humour, writing, movies and games.

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:24 PM

ARGH, stop...now I have Trilby dancing with chorus boys in my head. Thanks.

This post has been edited by BernieLaraemie: 15 November 2006 - 02:25 PM

#383 User is offline   CJ Marren Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Wrestling, games, books, music, working out,

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:26 PM

Haha, the funniest thing is that after 382 posts this topic is still called "Tilby's notes" biggrin.gif
<!--quoteo(post=174818:date=Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM:name=Cobnat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cobnat @ Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=174818"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Lets all have sex with robots until our groins are sore and bloody!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=169306:date=Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=169306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#483D8B--><span style="color:#483D8B"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->So why the unholy flying purple donkeypunching fuck will it not work on yours? Just what kind of machine are you running there? Your toaster?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And the man again!
<!--quoteo(post=180859:date=Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=180859"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In my opinion it's saying, fuck the lightsabers and special effects and fuck your voiceovers and fuck your stupid multimilliondollar game studios; you don't need any of those to make brilliant and scary games that will fuck with your head.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<u><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->My Getting Huge Progress (Gym and weight gain diet)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></u>
<b>May '07:</b> 11st (154lbs)
<b>August '07:</b> 12st 7lbs (175lbs)
<b>November '07:</b> 12st 9lbs (177lbs)
<b>December '07:</b> 12st 11lbs (179lbs)
<b>January '08:</b> 12st 12lbs (180lbs)
<b>Febuary '08:</b> 13st 2lbs (184lbs)
<b>March '08:</b> 13st 7lbs (189lbs)

#384 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:10 AM

That's FastEddie for you.

#385 User is offline   Dan_N_GameZ Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Red Dwarf, AGS, programming in VB, Yahtzee etc.

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:08 PM

Heh, Tilby's Notes...

No, but seriously, I found this game a bit different from the 5DAS and 7DAS. Aside from the obvious straying from the XDAS title, the game was more story oriented. It had less characters, only three, aside from Trilby (not Tilby... my God...) and none of them (aside from Trilby that is) had a really carefully defined personality like in the previous games. Well, I guess Abed seemed a bit more human, with the drinking and such, but it's still to a lesser degree than normal. Trilby's Notes, seemed more like an exercise for Yahtzee's story writing abilities, hence the strong role of letters and words in the game, it not being that well animated like in 5DAS and 7DAS. Of course, this did not ruin the game for me, I didn't mind the fact that it felt like I was reading a book, the thing that really ticked my onion was that it wasn't that character-based.

But then again, nobody has to listen to me, I'm just stacking up posts so that I can be Mini Boss before Christmas... * rolls eyes *
"Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back, in one o' dose TOP SECRET LAB-MOTORIES de gubbnint keep stashed away underneath Virginia, an EVIL PRINCE, occasion'ly employed as a part-time THEATRICAL CRITICIZER set to woikin' on a plot fo de systematic GENOCIDICAL REMOVE'LANCE of all unwanted highly-rhythmic individj'lls an' sissy-boys!" (Prologue, Thing-Fish)

Quoting other forumers in your signature seems to be the latest craze around here...

My Last.FM profile.

#386 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:52 PM

In Trilby's Notes, I felt that Trilby is the only protagonist in the game, and all emphasis was placed upon the development of his character. In 5DAS and 7DAS, the narration was less dominant, compared to the dialogues. I guess this is what made TN a lot scarier than its predecessors, as the feeling of being all alone with only a vague idea on how to survive is a lot more obvious. I don't consider the smaller number of characters a negative point.
What exactly did you mean by TN not being as well animated as the prequels? I really can't see that much difference between them.

#387 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:23 PM

David's right. The animation is the same, if not better. TN seemed to be more about the history and learning about how the antagonists came to be. I was actually surprised that you didn't get chased by the tall man.
More to the point, what was with Trilby having wierd visions? Like when you walk out a door suddenly you are on the ship from 7DAS. And I walked out a door and I was John Defoe for a few seconds.
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#388 User is offline   CJ Marren Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Wrestling, games, books, music, working out,

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:04 AM

They're just there to confuse and disorientate you while screwing with your head.

*Just noticed the above also applies to Icey biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by CJ Marren: 25 November 2006 - 12:04 AM

<!--quoteo(post=174818:date=Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM:name=Cobnat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cobnat @ Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=174818"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Lets all have sex with robots until our groins are sore and bloody!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=169306:date=Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=169306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#483D8B--><span style="color:#483D8B"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->So why the unholy flying purple donkeypunching fuck will it not work on yours? Just what kind of machine are you running there? Your toaster?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And the man again!
<!--quoteo(post=180859:date=Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=180859"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In my opinion it's saying, fuck the lightsabers and special effects and fuck your voiceovers and fuck your stupid multimilliondollar game studios; you don't need any of those to make brilliant and scary games that will fuck with your head.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<u><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->My Getting Huge Progress (Gym and weight gain diet)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></u>
<b>May '07:</b> 11st (154lbs)
<b>August '07:</b> 12st 7lbs (175lbs)
<b>November '07:</b> 12st 9lbs (177lbs)
<b>December '07:</b> 12st 11lbs (179lbs)
<b>January '08:</b> 12st 12lbs (180lbs)
<b>Febuary '08:</b> 13st 2lbs (184lbs)
<b>March '08:</b> 13st 7lbs (189lbs)

#389 User is offline   Blueskirt Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Guarding pies

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:36 AM

Yes, hallucinations caused by the pills, just examine the pills bottle.

As for the animations, the only animation that was missing is when you enter in the dining hall and Lenkmann look at you before heading in the kitchen, where there had no animation for Lenkmann opening the door to the kitchen. So, unless if you're talking about the missing shadows on the characters, which personally didn't bother me that much, I wouldn't say it was not as well animated.

All those animations where the Tall Man slashes, crushes and thrusts all these persons in gruesome ways just don't draw themself all alone. wink.gif Plus all those characters that you see just once in the flashbacks that need to be imagined, designed, drawn and animated walking, talking, sitting, being harvested for fresh meat, walking in their pyjamas... There had a whole lot more animation in TN than in 5/7DaS and a whole lot more energy invested in them IMO.

Nah, if there is one thing I didn't like with TN it was the puzzles which offered no difficulty except four. One "find the exact words" puzzle, one where you needed to think about the problem for 10 seconds to find the solution, another one where in the worst case scenario you to explored every rooms of the game, long but requiring no mental activity, and the last puzzle which was really tough if you didn't got the hint, and I'm kinda glad I didn't since the game would have been a whole lot shorter. GFW had tougher puzzles which kept me playing for 3 nights to complete the game at 100%. TN felt more like a movie than a game, in a bad kind of way. A movie I played under a shell of security blankets in a fortress of pillows, unlike other movies, but a movie none the less.

But then again, TN was all about story. Having brain exploding tough puzzles would probably have broken the flow of the game and after an hour on a puzzle, people would have probably forgotten details and wondered "What the heck was I supposed to do again?", which wouldn't have been good at all. GFW and other games with a bit less story can afford to have tougher puzzle because you can easily get stuck for hours if not days on a puzzle and still remember everything about the story.

As for the character's development, it's more a matter of comparison. The characters were well developed, even those who's only purpose were stock characters to be slain, but not only you see the events thru Trilby's eyes, Trilby passed from the shady silent protagonist you don't know much about from the 2 first games to the emo, tormented, multiple layered person he is in TN, and the other characters' personalities seems pale in comparison, making it seems like only Trilby had a personality while it wasn't the case. But it didn't made the story more creepy for me. The fact I had no idea what the heck was going on until I first got the pills and figured those weird random things were hallucinations, scared me enough. The constant impression something would pop out of nowhere to slash me in half did the rest of the work.

*Re-re-re-re-re-read post again
Ach, enough rambling, time to sleep.

This post has been edited by Blueskirt: 25 November 2006 - 01:37 AM

#390 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2006 - 02:59 AM

I couldn't agree more. The feeling of something jumping out and slicing you in two is pretty nasty. But there are a few questions left over. Don't you take tranquilizer pills to, you know, fall asleep? And that goes the same for relaxing.
Anyway. If the etheral realm is so far away from Trilby's then why does he flicker in and out of them, very easily at that. And does touching the wood bring the Tall Man explain why he could come back and forth so easily. Lastly, how did so many people get into the etheral realm to become tortured corpses?
I'm probably repeating someone else but I like to have some answers or at least know that I'm meant to be stumped.
And he knew the kings name

For King and Country
Chaotic Good

• (28 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size