• « First
  • Last »

Tilby's Notes The new game

#331 User is offline   Zeeky H. Bomb Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE (JackDark @ Sep 25 2006, 01:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Trilby's Notes, like it's forebearers, is a must play adventure game for fans of the genre. And yes, Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw is indeed still the AGS King. If only he could be given a team, plenty of capital, and a fat contract... who knows what fabulous games he could produce. Still, maybe the Days series will become a book... than a movie... and then a big budget conhesive gaming experience afterall. Until then, you SHOULD buy the Special Editions of his games, I do.

That's an interesting thought.. the series hitting the "big time", I mean. Could lead to all sorts of things. I can see fans (derogatorily called "trilbies") attending Yahtzee conventions about 20 years from now, dressed up in trilby hats and welding masks, waving around cardboard machetes, having heated discussions regarding why only the odd-numbered games were any good, and pestering Yahtzee himself about the last scene of TN until he finally gets fed up, yelling "For crying out loud, it's just a computer game, get a life!", and stomps off.

And I'd be right down there with them when he does it. *sigh*

Okay, so it probably won't happen that way, but it still would be pretty funny.

This post has been edited by Zeeky H. Bomb: 25 September 2006 - 11:43 AM

Signatures are overrated.

#332 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:52 AM

Here's some news flash for ya: We're already doing all those things you mentioned. *puts his welding mask back on and randomly stabs some more people*

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#333 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:19 PM

Ow! You stabbed me in the face.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#334 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:59 PM

Don't worry, just shave over that scar and you can be a brilliant cosplayer for the Prince.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#335 User is offline   Blueskirt Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Guarding pies

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:00 PM

I agree with that review too except for 2 points, the puzzle and the music.

There could have more puzzles, and tougher puzzles, because other than some "guess the verb" issues here and there and the final puzzle, one could pass thru the game like a hot knife in a brick of butter. No thinking required. I've seen that often recently, games with a great plot and obvious or no puzzles at all. It's a misconception that adventure games are the only games with plot and thus with a great plot you don't need puzzles. It's wrong, we've left the '90-97 era where one could make great games with an absurd, non sensical or no plot at all, Duke Nukem 3D or Carmageddon are a good example for that. Games of all kind now have complex plot and characters with personalities, so plot is not what defined adventure games all these years. Puzzles did, the Goblins series is a fine example of that. The plot in Goblins is merely an excuse to stack as many tough, clever and well thought puzzles in one room. So yeah, I think a few more puzzles it wouldn't have hurt TN.

For the music, I kinda see where JackDark come from. I've never considered myself a fan of m0ds. In fact, I spend the 5 years I've played AGS games to wonder why the heck people kept saying m0ds was the best. The greatness of the musics of games like Pleurghburg, Revenants and the recent Duty and Beyond hit me like a kick in the groin given by The Flash. These were good and memorable. The same thing happened with the RPG Maker musics Yahtzee used in his games, even if I recognize after a while it became apparent Yahtzee drained all the good musics from RPG maker.

Quite frankly, m0ds' musics in Fatman or Fountain of Youth Demo and the various games he did the soundtrack didn't really move me. The musics fitted the scenes at best. Most of the time, they were too cartoony, or used the wrong instruments. There's even a FoY music that remind me of Day Of The Tentacle. Out of all the work I heard from him, 7 musics managed to move me: This music currently on the main page of the FoY website, music 5, 6, 10, 15 and the 2nd part of music 14 from the FoY demo, and one of the music m0ds did for Urban Joe. And still quite frankly, when I heard m0ds was going to make the music for TN, my reaction ranged between "Oh crap." and "Oh crap.".

That was before I played TN.

I have no idea why. Maybe it's because Yahtzee helped m0ds by putting him in the right direction. I don't know. I really don't know. But The Flash kicked me in the groin again when I played TN. The musics fitted, it was great and memorable. If I had to give m0ds a score, it would be at least 9.5 out of 10. It would probably have been 10 if it wasn't for the credit music that felt like FoY, but then again you only hear it once. wink.gif And while I'll probably still pass a few sleepless nights fearing about the FoY soundtrack when the release date will get nearer and nearer, if m0ds is to make the next game's soundtrack, I'll probably be one of the first to say "Yay!"

#336 User is offline   Yahtzee Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:49 PM

Judging by your comments on the music, Jack Dark, I would hazard a guess that you're the guy who recently amended my Wikipedia page. Let me know if I'm right or not so I can shout at you for a bit.
As I walked through the valley of the shadow of death, I realised that it could do with a lick of paint.

#337 User is offline   CJ Marren Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Wrestling, games, books, music, working out,

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:17 AM

I dunno - I never had any bother at all with the music in Trilby's Notes... it was better than 5 Days and 7 Days, so why criticise an improvement??
<!--quoteo(post=174818:date=Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM:name=Cobnat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cobnat @ Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=174818"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Lets all have sex with robots until our groins are sore and bloody!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=169306:date=Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=169306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#483D8B--><span style="color:#483D8B"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->So why the unholy flying purple donkeypunching fuck will it not work on yours? Just what kind of machine are you running there? Your toaster?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And the man again!
<!--quoteo(post=180859:date=Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=180859"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In my opinion it's saying, fuck the lightsabers and special effects and fuck your voiceovers and fuck your stupid multimilliondollar game studios; you don't need any of those to make brilliant and scary games that will fuck with your head.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<u><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->My Getting Huge Progress (Gym and weight gain diet)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></u>
<b>May '07:</b> 11st (154lbs)
<b>August '07:</b> 12st 7lbs (175lbs)
<b>November '07:</b> 12st 9lbs (177lbs)
<b>December '07:</b> 12st 11lbs (179lbs)
<b>January '08:</b> 12st 12lbs (180lbs)
<b>Febuary '08:</b> 13st 2lbs (184lbs)
<b>March '08:</b> 13st 7lbs (189lbs)

#338 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:41 AM

As quoted from the aforementioned Wikipedia page:
"Unfortunately, because Ben chose a rather unaccomplished musician, Trilby's Notes' music hasn't faired better in reception than the music originally taken from RPG Maker."

The writer of this article didn't like the music of TN, okay, we got it, but how does he(/she) have the nerve to state it as a fact that it was received badly??? Somehow, I remember seeing a lot of posts saying that m0ds did good work with the music, not only on FR but on the AGS forums as well. Can't recall one that said the music was bad. You call that negative reception, huh?

EDIT: Another quotation, this time from Jack Dark's blog, which you can find here, by the way:

"Now, I want to recommend a game that I've been playing very limitedly over the past month. It is called Trilby's Notes. This is a game that actually is part of a series of games known coloquially as "The Days Series" by one Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw. If you play the Days series in order of release, that being 5 Days A Stranger, 7 Days A Skeptic, and Trilby's Notes... well, you should have a good weekend if naught else. Ben's a great game designer/creator. Unfortunately, his taste in MIDI music is severely lacking. I tried to get him to let me help him out soundtrack-wise, however he has seen it upon himself to treat me like a bitch and not even email me back the two times I've mentioned it this year. Whatever, his loss, foo. Play his games (buy the special editions even), but send him hatemail about the music. biggrin.gif"

I guess we all understand why he was putting down the music now. Sheer fucking enviness, my friends. sleep.gif His reference of Yahtzee links to the Wikipedia page which seems to confirm Yahtzee's assumptions.

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 26 September 2006 - 10:52 AM

#339 User is offline   Blueskirt Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Guarding pies

Posted 26 September 2006 - 11:05 AM

At this rate, it sounds like Yahtzee got a stalker. wink.gif

#340 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:It depends on my current psychosis.

Posted 26 September 2006 - 11:49 AM

Let's do this.
We'll invitate this JD (Jack Dark, not John DeFoe) to the first XDAS fan convention. Everyone will be disguised, allright? I'll use a white mask and a coat, Gobbler will be wearing his welding mask and so on.

Then we give JD some beer glasses until he gets drunk. Then we strap him and put him on a torture altar so m0ds (characterized as Lenkmann) will torture him at will. I will film everything and send to YouTube as the "First Fullyramblomatic fan convention" official videoclip. devil.gif

And can some good soul take that bullshite out from Wiki, please?

This post has been edited by Nostaw: 26 September 2006 - 11:49 AM

#341 User is offline   leperking Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:08 PM

Done.
I'm just here to point out your shortcomings and stupidity.

#342 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:13 PM

EDIT: Oops, nevermind, irrelevant, sorry. However, I like the way Leperking modified the Wiki page, in his usual mode of business we've grown so fond of already. Anyone who badmouths other people's work because of some petty fucking grudge deserves that.

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 26 September 2006 - 12:19 PM

#343 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:35 PM

Yeah, while I agree that the music was only so~so, that stuff doesn't belong there. Hooray for leperking.

#344 User is offline   Nostaw Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:It depends on my current psychosis.

Posted 26 September 2006 - 01:50 PM

Now that is a good review biggrin.gif

#345 User is offline   Yahtzee Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (leperking @ Sep 26 2006, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Done.

Please remove that little snipe you added. This may sound odd but I feel Wikipedia should have some integrity.
As I walked through the valley of the shadow of death, I realised that it could do with a lick of paint.

• (28 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size