Chefelf.com Night Life: Introductions and some art. - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Introductions and some art. And by art I mean 'Look, I can wield a pen."

#1 User is offline   Black Charlie Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:31 PM

My name is Black Charlie - about it. I like to draw and read books. I am an incredibly boring person.

I have a very fond love for adventure games - Starting playing them whn I was about 4 years old. I was living in Hawaii at the time, and found a game from the Ray's Maze genre called 'T-Rex'.

So, after reading about the Chzo Mythos games for a better part of a half-year, I was finally given the chance to play them on a windows system. (Total Mac-Fag here, sorry.)

All I can say is 'bravo', Yahtzee. I have never been more scared-shitless then with these games. Brilliant work.

I offer my grade-school quality art as a offering.

Young Matthew and John DeFoe, done in Ballpoint pen:
http://i90.photobuck...dJonCropped.jpg

Strangely, my favorite characters in this entire series are the DeFoes. (My other favorite is, weirdly, William Taylor from 7 Days) We all love Trilby, sure - But I am endlessly fascinated by children characters. So, I figured I'd draw up the most prominent in the series.

Matthew's visit to his unknown brother are heart-wrenching in Notes. Matthew is in the upper right corner, clutching his Teddy bear. John looks way too young here - but happening onto the Welder's Mask, I couldn't imagine the sensations of feeling something different other than manacles (shown upper left), cold floors and dirt, with the occasional hand of your father - 15 years into your life.

For those curious, here is the entire page with other BS doodles on it, I favor the big children's drawing pads for doing artwork:

http://i90.photobuck...AndJohnFull.jpg

And, par for the course, Trilby art (with special guest star: 2B pencil).

http://i90.photobuck...ilby5Minute.jpg

Done in five minutes while I was taking pictures of the other drawing. I can't draw adults at all. Or trilby-hats for that matter.

The writing is one of the many humourous things Trilby says in Notes when fucking around with the parser. (Jesus, Trilby. What the hell DO you know then?)

And that's it. You all seem like a nice bunch, and I look forward to popping in periodically. Enjoy!

#2 User is offline   Candescence Icon

• New Cop

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:46 AM

Damn, that's some good artwork. I love the style. John looks far less messier than he does in the games, though (I don't remember him having much hair in TN or 6DaS). Trilby... Doesn't look all that much like Trilby, but you drew him in five minutes, so that's alright... But it still looks very good for a drawing done in five minutes. That's talent.

Nice to see you come around here. And do us a favor - draw some more stuff. Your work is amazing.
IPB Image

#3 User is offline   Yahtzee Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:47 AM

You did a much better trilby hat than most people do.
As I walked through the valley of the shadow of death, I realised that it could do with a lick of paint.

#4 User is offline   Black Charlie Icon

• New Cop

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:21 AM

QUOTE (Candescence @ Jun 4 2007, 12:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Damn, that's some good artwork. I love the style. John looks far less messier than he does in the games, though (I don't remember him having much hair in TN or 6DaS). Trilby... Doesn't look all that much like Trilby, but you drew him in five minutes, so that's alright... But it still looks very good for a drawing done in five minutes. That's talent.

Nice to see you come around here. And do us a favor - draw some more stuff. Your work is amazing.

Wow <3 My Ego is in the red over here! And thank you for pointing out John there - now that I think of it, he doesn't even own a shirt - humn. When I drew it, I figured Roderick threw him down a shirt occasionally. Probably giving the man too much fictional credit...

And upon reflection - John is wearing nothing but rags in the series, isn't he? Hmmn.

QUOTE (Yahtzee @ Jun 4 2007, 02:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You did a much better trilby hat than most people do.

Thank you - It's strangely harder than it looks. Then again, hats and I never got along; be it in my sketchbook or on my own head.

Yahtzee - as everyone else has said (I hope! And if you haven't you're ungrateful prats! tongue.gif), thank you once again for such a fantastic series. I am scrounging up some couch change so I can get my hands on those written files in the Special Editions!

And Yahtzee, if I could ask: Do you have any of the concept art for the Chzo Mythos series stashed/archived somewhere in the Web? I am insanely curious on seeing some sketches you might have concerning this series.

Thank you once again for your compliments! (And as always - Critique is welcomed.)

#5 User is offline   Candescence Icon

• New Cop

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:39 AM

Get the special edition of 5 Days, that's got three concept pics. The third one is funny.
IPB Image

#6 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:01 AM

I really like your style, though to me in the second picture Trilby looks more like a Russian thug than an English gentleman, judging by his facial qualities. The build of the hat does look good but isn't it a bit flat?

In the picture of John and Matthew, what's that naked mannequin doll thing doing there?

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 04 June 2007 - 07:03 AM

#7 User is offline   Black Charlie Icon

• New Cop

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE (David-kyo @ Jun 4 2007, 07:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really like your style, though to me in the second picture Trilby looks more like a Russian thug than an English gentleman, judging by his facial qualities. The build of the hat does look good but isn't it a bit flat?

In the picture of John and Matthew, what's that naked mannequin doll thing doing there?

By damn, you're right - it is a flat hat, isn't it? Hmmn. Must keep an eye out for that in future drawings.

Russian, eh? Sounds incredibly stupid but it's 7:52 AM over here and I am nodding over my keyboard - but what qualities would an English Gentleman have? I've seen Trilby with a bit of a hooked nose - and the descriptions of him in 6dAs describe him as 'Athletic, in his 30's, absurdly dressed in an old-fashioned way'. I'd figured he'd be a bit handsome somehow. I can see where the 'thug' look is derived from...If I wasn't so braindead right now, i'd get to making a new sketch.

The body! Funny thing - Matthew and John were drawn as afterthoughts. The body there is some cruddy female anatomy I was working on. I eventually said "F'it" and started drawing a boy's face, whioch turned into John, then the mask, then Matthew, then his Bear. (Which is named Corporal Snuggles, ask anyone.)

I kinda does look like the Mannequinn - creepy. I still don't completely understand where the porcelain mannequinn came from in Notes - I know it's an offering to the Dark World to bring back the girl mentioned in the journal on the floor...I can only assume it's one of those 'A Wizard Did It' situations.

Apologies for my horrid grasp of english. Way too god-damned early for grammar.

#8 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:57 AM

Actually, the offering the decapitated guy made is the altar thingy in the lobby, where Matthew's painting is supposed to be, I think.

Oh, and allow me to explain the Russian thug thing: This guy has a stereotypical Russian face (nevermind the space suit, observe the strong rugged features and the wide forehead). British actor Jack Davenport has a typical (well, not entirely typical, more handsome than the average Englishman) British face (Yahtzee once said he kind of looked the part). See what I meant?

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 04 June 2007 - 12:05 PM

#9 User is offline   Black Charlie Icon

• New Cop

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:52 AM

Thanks much for your response, David. Those pictures are great - I'll be sure to study them.

For anyone else interested: two new arts today.

Trilby's Fall:

http://i90.photobuck...ilbyfanart1.jpg

(6 DAYS SPOILER I AM SINISTAR RUN RUN RUN )

So, that hole that is in Chzo's body - my broken head thinks it's an entirely new monster. And that monster is what I drew here. 20 minutes with a black Tombo marker. I royally screwed the shading on his trousers. See ya, Trilby~

Matthew.

http://i90.photobuck...ilbyfanart2.jpg

Absolute BS 10 minute sketch. The Welder is holding his hand for fuck's sake - that indicates feelings for his unknown brother! And why is the rope not a TV cord?

Behold my terrible bricks and rope. However, I had some fun with it.

Enjoy!

#10 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:28 AM

QUOTE (Black Charlie @ Jun 5 2007, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh, this one reminds me of a certain scene in Return of the Jedi.

#11 User is offline   arien Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (David-kyo @ Jun 5 2007, 04:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heh, this one reminds me of a certain scene in Return of the Jedi.

You know, I thought the exact same thing.

However, I did like that last little picture with Matthew, but I don't know why.

#12 User is offline   Black Charlie Icon

• New Cop

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE (arien @ Jun 5 2007, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
However, I did like that last little picture with Matthew, but I don't know why.

Thank you - like I said earlier, I love to draw kids (easier to do) so Young John and Matthew will probably be frequent subjects. smile.gif

Trilby is hard to nail down still. sad.gif

#13 User is offline   CJ Marren Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Wrestling, games, books, music, working out,

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (Black Charlie @ Jun 6 2007, 05:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you - like I said earlier, I love to draw kids (easier to do) so Young John and Matthew will probably be frequent subjects. smile.gif

Heh, on a scale of weird stuff to say, I'd give that a 8.7 and a hearty thumbs down ohmy.gif
<!--quoteo(post=174818:date=Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM:name=Cobnat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cobnat @ Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=174818"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Lets all have sex with robots until our groins are sore and bloody!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=169306:date=Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=169306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#483D8B--><span style="color:#483D8B"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->So why the unholy flying purple donkeypunching fuck will it not work on yours? Just what kind of machine are you running there? Your toaster?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And the man again!
<!--quoteo(post=180859:date=Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=180859"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In my opinion it's saying, fuck the lightsabers and special effects and fuck your voiceovers and fuck your stupid multimilliondollar game studios; you don't need any of those to make brilliant and scary games that will fuck with your head.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<u><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->My Getting Huge Progress (Gym and weight gain diet)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></u>
<b>May '07:</b> 11st (154lbs)
<b>August '07:</b> 12st 7lbs (175lbs)
<b>November '07:</b> 12st 9lbs (177lbs)
<b>December '07:</b> 12st 11lbs (179lbs)
<b>January '08:</b> 12st 12lbs (180lbs)
<b>Febuary '08:</b> 13st 2lbs (184lbs)
<b>March '08:</b> 13st 7lbs (189lbs)

#14 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:00 AM

Hey, he used the word 'draw', not something else.

#15 User is offline   CJ Marren Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Wrestling, games, books, music, working out,

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:35 AM

Still strange biggrin.gif
<!--quoteo(post=174818:date=Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM:name=Cobnat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cobnat @ Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=174818"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Lets all have sex with robots until our groins are sore and bloody!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=169306:date=Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=169306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#483D8B--><span style="color:#483D8B"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->So why the unholy flying purple donkeypunching fuck will it not work on yours? Just what kind of machine are you running there? Your toaster?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And the man again!
<!--quoteo(post=180859:date=Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=180859"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In my opinion it's saying, fuck the lightsabers and special effects and fuck your voiceovers and fuck your stupid multimilliondollar game studios; you don't need any of those to make brilliant and scary games that will fuck with your head.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<u><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->My Getting Huge Progress (Gym and weight gain diet)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></u>
<b>May '07:</b> 11st (154lbs)
<b>August '07:</b> 12st 7lbs (175lbs)
<b>November '07:</b> 12st 9lbs (177lbs)
<b>December '07:</b> 12st 11lbs (179lbs)
<b>January '08:</b> 12st 12lbs (180lbs)
<b>Febuary '08:</b> 13st 2lbs (184lbs)
<b>March '08:</b> 13st 7lbs (189lbs)

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size