Chefelf.com Night Life: The burning question... - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (3 Pages)
  • +

The burning question... ...what *are* they farming, exactly?

#1 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:39 AM

Just something I was thinking about earlier: what, exactly, are Owen and Beru Lars 'farming'? I know they're described as 'moisture farmers', but if they're just extracting moisture from the ground or atmosphere (which I'd hardly describe as 'farming'), why do they have a 'harvest'? You'd think it'd be the same all the year round.

Just wondering...
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#2 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:46 AM

Excellent question.

#3 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2006 - 10:58 AM

Farming is an all year round activity, aside from a busy harvesting season, there's always small jobs to do like clearing the land and the like, in the Lars case, maintainance would have a lot to do with it, especially since he sees the need to get more droids and he's reluctant to let Luke go not just because of Luke's adventerous tendencies, but it means a lot more work. Biggs left and they are stretched as it is.

I think its odd that in ANH, the Lars family seems to have a farming set up that lets them get by, but as we see in TPM, a lot of humanoids like Shmi are 'slaves' to beings like Wattoo, why the difference?

#4 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 11 June 2006 - 03:25 PM

LOL. Good point Helena. Owen didn't want to let Luke go until after the harvest. Funny that never occurred to me in all these years.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#5 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 11 June 2006 - 03:46 PM

Hmm, a burning question indeed... I suspect that the whole thing was just something Owen made up because he wanted to cover up that he'd been growing pot. Think about it... you can harvest that... and we all saw that the true crime lords apparently live deep in the desert on Tatooine... and have a look at the way Luke suddenly staggers after he's been in the burning ruins of his former home... there was an awful lot of suspicious looking smoke, eh? shifty.gif

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#6 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 11 June 2006 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (Darth Player @ Jun 11 2006, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Farming is an all year round activity, aside from a busy harvesting season, there's always small jobs to do like clearing the land and the like, in the Lars case, maintainance would have a lot to do with it, especially since he sees the need to get more droids and he's reluctant to let Luke go not just because of Luke's adventerous tendencies, but it means a lot more work. Biggs left and they are stretched as it is.

But this is my point: what is it that they're farming? The fact that they have a harvesting season at all suggests that they're growing something, but they're described as 'moisture farmers', and I don't see how you can grow or harvest moisture. Come to that, I can't think of anything that's likely to grow well in that kind of climate, at least not on the scale that would make it possible to farm it.

Perhaps it means that they use moisture to grow whatever it is they're growing? God, I really need to get a life, don't I?
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

#7 User is offline   MyPantsAreOnFire Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2006 - 06:37 PM

Heh, I thought about it and assumed the same thing as Helena...they harvest the moisture to use it to grow their whatever crops...underground, probably. Damned if I know...count me in for one of them there lives!

#8 User is offline   georgelucas4greedo Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (Helena @ Jun 11 2006, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just something I was thinking about earlier: what, exactly, are Owen and Beru Lars 'farming'? I know they're described as 'moisture farmers', but if they're just extracting moisture from the ground or atmosphere (which I'd hardly describe as 'farming'), why do they have a 'harvest'? You'd think it'd be the same all the year round.

Just wondering...

Now I know what the gushers mean by searching desparately for nitpicks. Nonetheless, its always fun to do stuff like this....
It seems like everyone is over the nitpicking. Too bad.

#9 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:38 PM

The Lars were growing and harvesting T-16's. It's the only logical explanation as to how they came into possession of one.

#10 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 11 June 2006 - 10:01 PM

the book calls Owen a man of the soil if ever there was one.

Soil?

Droids can't replace a man, Luke. Need People, not Droids.

the droids were to work with irrigation units on the south ridge.

soo... we need to buy droids to do the work of a man (speak in binary, changed to bocce).
But People are better than robots to speak to irrigation units and moisture vaporators.

--

in rifling through the SW novelization, there were some pages of Luke and pals chumming it up regarding recent canyon runs, near-misses, and daring exploits. After the next release of the OT (the cleaned up dvds), we'll get the extra scenes which show young Mark Hamill with the flyer footage many decry.

#11 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:40 AM

QUOTE (georgelucas4greedo @ Jun 12 2006, 02:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now I know what the gushers mean by searching desparately for nitpicks. Nonetheless, its always fun to do stuff like this....

I wasn't 'searching desperately for nitpicks'; it just randomly occurred to me. I'm not trying to claim that it's a major plot-hole or anything.

#12 User is offline   Jedi_1138 Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Mythology, Fantasy, Martial Arts, Aikido, Kenjutsu, BtVS, Angel, CSI

Posted 12 June 2006 - 02:58 PM

Hm...a very interesting question indeed. Impressive, most impressive that you came with that one, Helena.
Thinking about it, I am with Gobbler on that one. They must have raised pot. Maybe disguised in the SW Universe as the "spice" Han was smuggling?

#13 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:26 PM

I assume they "farm" moisture out of the ground or atmosphere.

Harvest maybe means when it comes time to collect all the water from their moisture machines. Who knows how many countless ones they have across the desert? When the machines filled up with H20 or reached their storage threshold, that would probably be when the term harvest comes into play. It would probably be an arduous task collecting all the water from the machines and then transporting it to whatever central location the farmers sell their water to.

Sort of like hauling grain to elevators, I suppose.

That was always my take on things, but who knows?

#14 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:07 AM

It didn't seem to matter. Kind of like background music. You recognize that it's there, and it somehow works with the scene in a natural way that you don't really question it because the movie is so freaking good. That's why it's different.

#15 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 13 June 2006 - 04:07 AM

QUOTE (Jedi_1138 @ Jun 12 2006, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hm...a very interesting question indeed. Impressive, most impressive that you came with that one, Helena.
Thinking about it, I am with Gobbler on that one. They must have raised pot. Maybe disguised in the SW Universe as the "spice" Han was smuggling?
Good thinking there, Jedi_1138. Especially because you agreed with me.

QUOTE (diligent_d @ Jun 13 2006, 06:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I assume they "farm" moisture out of the ground or atmosphere.

Harvest maybe means when it comes time to collect all the water from their moisture machines. Who knows how many countless ones they have across the desert? When the machines filled up with H20 or reached their storage threshold, that would probably be when the term harvest comes into play.
Or maybe it's a psychological farming trick. I saw quite a lot farmers around here talking to their plants (yes, some of those plants were that certain kind of plant). They lure a bit of H2O into their little traps and that little bit of H2O then get's really scared and cries out to it's brethren, who then hurry to it's rescue, but since they're "only" water, they're not very intelligent and so they get trapped, too and... whoa... who's burning plants around here? wacko.gif

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size