• (3 Pages)
  • +

The World Cup WOO A FOOTBALL THREAD

#1 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 11 June 2006 - 03:58 AM

Americans! Go back to doing a stereotypical and degrading thing Americans are stereotypically supposed to do! For as I type, I see the flag of St George hanging out of someone bedroom window, and many cars with little flags on sticks stuck to the windows. This can only mean one thing.

No, the Queen isn't dead. The World Cup has come again.

Now, I'm honestly not much of a football man, so I'll be brief. Over here, there's been nothing in the papers apart from "WILL WAYNE ROONEYS FOOT BE ALRIGHT FOR THE WORLD CUP OR WON'T IT? TODAY ITS GOOD, TOMORROW IT ISN'T! WE'LL FLIP A COIN FOR IT THE NEXT DAY AND THEN SAY ITS GOOD THE DAY AFTER!"

Quite frankly, one spud-faced monkey isn't going to win it for Britain.

So yeah, footbally ranting! Suprise me.
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#2 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 11 June 2006 - 04:49 AM

Are the people in your country thinking that they're gonna win, too? I heard quite a lot of teams saying that they'll win for sure, makes me wonder if they're planning on ending each game with a draw.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#3 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 11 June 2006 - 05:31 AM

Naturally, every country knows they're going to win this year. Same as each side in a war thinks God is on their side, not on those heathen [other army]s side, damnit!

And does every other country feel a need to stick their national flags everyfuckingwhere around this time, or are we Brits just hypocritical faux-patriotic monkeys?

Less Is More v4

#4 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 11 June 2006 - 06:40 AM

I guess that's just you. There are only German flags at the actual football-match-sites, and maybe one or two in the rest of the land and on top of the parliament... we're still having a hard time being proud of our flag, for some reason...

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#5 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:12 AM

Actually, we don't think we'll win. We're just plain ecstatic that we're in for the first time in 30 years or so. Sure, we'll be eliminated straight away, but at least we finally qualified, thanks to John Safran from removing the voodoo curse on our team.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#6 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 12 June 2006 - 04:20 PM

Is that all you got? A worldwide forum can't keep a thread going; One based on the most popular game in the world?????

It's the most popular in third-world countries anyway. Why? because all you need it a ball to kick around and that's it. Go ahead and trash the American attitude because we don't embrace every other country's version of Kick the can, over the NFL and Major League Baseball.

--

actually I like soccer. When I moved down south I asked an uncle if it was in the schools here, he replied "you mean that Commie Kick-ball?" Since then, it's become more popular with school systems. Probably because funding in down in Alabama athletics, and all they need is a ball. tongue.gif

Sorry to get incindiary (not really). But With all the anti-american attitude that is so pervasive, Show Me what's so great about Futball.

#7 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2006 - 04:42 PM

I'm no big fan of football, but its the national sport of many countries. It's by a long way the most popular sport on the planet. The only country that doesn't seem to watch it is the USA.

Anyway, you Americans can't talk about about ball games, no American has invented a single ball game. Only one ball game has even been invented on American soil and that was by a Canadian (Basketball I'm refering to here). Basically, I think that Americans should stop going on about their favourite sports, even though they didn't invent any of them, and get into the real world.

#8 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 12 June 2006 - 05:17 PM

We Americans didn't invent Sex either, but it's something I enjoy.

Feel free to try and convince us Yanks why Soccer is so great again?

#9 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 12 June 2006 - 05:58 PM

I don't care about any sports really, but I still think it's okay for Americans to say what sports they like, even if they didn't invent them. Anyway, the USA has only been around four a couple hundred years, it's amazing that we even have one invented on our soil.

This post has been edited by Otal Nimrodi: 12 June 2006 - 06:03 PM

Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#10 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:22 PM

We invented baseball and American football, aye? (Though they were direct descendents of cricket and rugby or something)...

I was in a Mexican restaurant Sunday, and a big group of hispanic guys were in green jerseys (I think that might be Brazil? ...) and getting all excited and stuff. It was more fun to watch them than the game! tongue.gif
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#11 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:32 PM

I went to a Mexico/New Zealand, and Brazil/? matches when some of the Olympic playoff round was held here in Birmingham (Atlanta games, 1996). It was a great atmosphere. As I've said before, one guy gets hurt and carried off on a stretcher and Americans applaud as we do when the fallen leave the field. Guy next to me rants: "Why you clap for him? What did HE do?".

Like Chyld, I want to see some football talk. If it's so popular, come on already.

#12 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 13 June 2006 - 03:56 AM

I don't know, actually. Never really understood football. You kick someone's balls and try to run away as fast as you can before some convict plays a retarded traffic light whilst whistling some rhythmless song.

I guess it's just fun to wait for the guys who storm the field during a game and throw candy bars at the players.

#13 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Jun 13 2006, 05:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We invented baseball and American football, aye?

Erm, I'd hate to break it to you but baseball was invented in Britain, 'American' football was invented in Canada.

Anyway, I couldn't care less if Americans never liked football, I just think you guys should realize that you're the odd ones out, now the rest of the world.

#14 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:32 AM

Peace brother, brother, peace.

So, how's the rest of the world doing? England managed to pull off the worst victory I've ever heard of in their first game, only winning via an own goal from their opponents Paraguay. Poor Paraguay, the only country in our group to actually bloody score, and they're last. Ah well...

Less Is More v4

#15 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2006 - 02:03 PM

Trinidad-Tobago will hopefully kick their ass smile.gif

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size