Chefelf.com Night Life: Star Wars: Journal of the Whills - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Star Wars: Journal of the Whills The original prologue from the book.

#16 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 13 May 2004 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE (Ferris Wiel @ May 11 2004, 04:23 PM)
Tarkin speaks more as if he and a few others told the Emperor to issue the "decree" rather than the other way around.

That is so much cooler.

Damn it, Lucas!

--FW

This is what I've been saying.

My issue with the Emperor in EMPIRE and ultimately in JEDI is that he's like the bigger fish in TPM. I'm sure that there is something else now, a "Dark heart of the Force" somwehere, that controls the Emperor. Were Lucas to make sequels, we'd see that as well.

If you can't make something interesting, make it big.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#17 Guest_Commoner_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 13 May 2004 - 12:11 AM

This has always been Lucas' thing, sadly... he doesn't believe in less is more. Even the prequels are evidence of this. They should have been more... subtle.. and that's not the word I'm looking for.. understated? When viewed in order, it should look like it all fits, but it can't---it doesn't!

I mean a big example is the DS in ROTJ! Even in literature isn't it "ten times bigger" (or something like that) than the original DS? The battle should've been brought to Coruscant, and that is that... That's where it should've ended.

In one of the original drafts, wasn't Endor suppose to be the moon of Coruscant? I mean, there is even residual mention of this. Emperor calls Endor the "sancturary moon," which refers to one of the earlier drafts where Endor was untainted by progress, protected, untouched, and the Emperor was planning on relocating his palace there (or something like that).

Anyway, again, Lucas abandons some not-so-bad ideas... What's this dink's problem!?

#18 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 13 May 2004 - 12:14 AM

Great post Civ. Such potential. that ploy was our last chance.

But did you see the size of that clone army?
Man! well, what about the size of that droid army!

soldiers with all the personality of plastic green army men left alone, scattered across the floor. Yet controlled by some greater force (which can leave the room whenever it becomes bored)

#19 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 May 2004 - 04:10 AM

Civilian, I now agree fully with you on your point about the Emperor being in The Empire Strikes Back.

And now, come to think of it, it should have seemed strange just in its own right. At the openning of the movie, we see Darth Vader with Tarkin out of the picture... and Darth Vader is running the empire. He is calling the shots. He is in charge.

And suddenly, out of nowhere, the Emperor is put into the movie and Darth Vader is put back on a leash. He's still a powerful figure but he's been diminished considerably as he is no longer number one.

And in Return of the Jedi, it's unbearable. Darth Vader became for all intents and purposes, the Emperor's pet puppy.

The Star Wars trilogy would have been so much better if, after Tarkin's demise, Darth Vader answered to no-one.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size