• (13 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Poor Catholic Church ...always the victim

#16 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:48 AM

QUOTE (Cobnat @ May 23 2006, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No I ment... if her family is Cathelic, that means they are no doubt ultra-crazy conservatives... and Abbey... well... her needs are different from her families and... well it must have been hard telling them.

Actually, I myself am very conservative.

#17 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:01 AM

QUOTE (Jordan @ May 24 2006, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Catholics are harmless, leave them alone.

I used to bash them back in the day, but whatever I've actually never had a problem with one. They are a large part of the largest religion in the world. If you consider that, along with the fact that they have a shady past, then you can conclude that it's ok to take pot shots at them.

I don’t dislike Catholics, I just hate how the Catholic church has brainwashed countless numbers of people from birth, used propaganda and violence to convert the unwilling, and basically made up a bunch of stuff as they went along. I respect the people and their beliefs, even if I don’t share them. What I do not respect however, is when they get on their “our religion is the only valid one” bullshit. And I can understand why people can hate them so much. And as much as I hated getting bible thumped, at least the southern Baptists dig praisin the lord. Three times a week. I’m convinced most Catholics only go to church because they’re afraid of hell.

QUOTE (Jordan @ May 24 2006, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're allowed to insult majorities. Therefore, people will take millions of shots at the catholic church knowing fully well that they are not over stepping some boundary, like insulting Islam.

Well, personally I don’t know enough about it to take any shots at it. I dont really care enough to learn either.

#18 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:13 AM

Jordan: It's not stating things people find wrong with a particular dogma that's bashing or a problem, it's when people start making sweeping generalizations about members of said organizations. "All Catholics are a bunch of crazies" is just as bad as "all Muslims are a bunch of crazies." The problem is that while wide-spread, common beliefs are more apt to be criticized for what they are, this bizarre, fascist ethnocentric/xenophobic, yet rampantly hypocritically politically correct mindset in the West these days makes pointing out problems with a minority held view akin to ad hominem attacks, even if they aren't. Abbey is not saying a single thing against any Catholics. She's pointing out what she doesn't like about the Catholic belief system.

Cobnat, on the other hand, is implying something close to sweeping character judgements. You've got to not go there, mang. It's not cool or fair.

My two cents:
I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition!

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#19 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:17 AM

What were their weapons again...?

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#20 User is offline   Slade Icon

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:40 AM

The inquisition's chief weapon was surprise. Fear and surprise. Their two weapons were fear and surprise. And ruthless efficency! Their three weapons were fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency. And an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope! Their four weapons were... Amognst their weapons were fear, surprise, and... Bloody hells, I'll start over...

Editorium: Damned typos. pinch.gif

This post has been edited by Slade: 24 May 2006 - 10:43 AM

#21 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• Viva Phillippena Radio!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Body Disposal.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ May 24 2006, 03:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, I myself am very conservative.

Tell me, how do you feel about homosexuality?

QUOTE (Slade @ May 24 2006, 07:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cobnat, on the other hand, is implying something close to sweeping character judgements. You've got to not go there, mang. It's not cool or fair.

Mang? Is that a Spanglish word?

#22 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:11 PM

no it's a latanglish term.

Jordan, and world power that lies and opresses is open ground for mockery.

for all they've done, a little jape here, and a joke there... they hardly got the rough end of the stick.

i make fun of all relegions... i don't have anything against any particular religion, just the people who perpetuate ill doings by an unquestioning loyalty to a misinterpretation and misrepresentation of any said relegion.

the catholic church in most of its practices are in direct violation of christian dogma.

graven images, praying to mary, the pope replacing god, etc. it's all pretty sacreligious... who are they to dictate to the world what is right?
and why are so many people of varying religious back grounds and worl leaders allways meeting with the pope...

a church that's got its own relgion wrong should never be allowed to become too powerfull or respected, especially by world leaders and the like...

i think making the odd joke and verbally dissing them is hardly going to postpone our impending doom at their hands.

#23 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:13 AM

Abbey, I suppose what I mean by sin is any action considered wrong by your God. If there are no such acts, if your ethics are entirely personal, then I suppose you don't believe in sin. That's how I feel; I don't believe in God, hence no sin. I just thought you held religious beliefs, and religion without any restriction on behaviour is frankly alien to me. Even Scientologists have sins, although doubtless they have some sci-fi name for them, and most of them are to do with copyright infringement.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#24 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE (Cobnat @ May 24 2006, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cabnat, being a conservative doesn’t mean I agree with everything conservatives stand for. That’s called towing the party line, and it would require me to not use my brain. I’m against big government, constantly raising taxes, broken welfare systems, big government spending, and the United Nations. I believe conservatives are wrong when it comes to gay rights and the environment. But, rather than abandoning all logic just because they haven’t come around yet, I’d rather work on changing my party from the inside by promoting awareness and voting. But the democratic party’s not exactly doing much in those two areas either. I’m also pro-life. I believe a fetus is a human being. I will also say that sometimes it is necessary to kill a human being. Take that how you will.

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ May 25 2006, 04:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Abbey, I suppose what I mean by sin is any action considered wrong by your God.

Well, actions considered wrong by my gods might include something like, cutting down a sacred grove, disrespecting my ancestors or pissing in a holy well. Things I would have to be insane to do in the first place and would therefore probably not be my fault. And they’re not really ‘sins’ for reasons I explained earlier. Just unjustifiable acts. And chances are, they’d kick my ass here and now instead of waiting for the afterlife. In Celtic Paganism, its pretty much commonsense and self responsibility. Anybody who knowingly and willingly disrespects the gods, is probably in the wrong religion to begin with. You might make some “mistakes,” but our mythology is littered with examples of the gods succumbing to petty crap like jealousy, greed and infidelity. Everybody gets their comeuppances in the end, and that goes for us mortals too (I’m speaking of Celtic Pagans of course - don’t want to lump everybody of all religions together here).

#25 User is offline   Slade Icon

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:44 AM

Given your anatomy, it would also probably be fairly difficult to pee in a holy well. :-P

Barend: Catholic DEWM doesn't seem very impending to me...

#26 User is offline   Cyzyk Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:11 PM

At some point I'll start responding in here again, but your timing is bad... I've got 4 finals this week, two down and two to go.

graven images, praying to mary, the pope replacing god, etc. it's all pretty sacreligious...

Statues of saints are not idols, we don't pray to Mary, and the Pope doesn't replace God. And those red dots on the foreheads of Hindus aren't cigarette burns, either.
Tolerance is another word for Apathy

#27 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:12 PM

why have the statuettes or bear a crucafix if not to rely upon it in some manner?

what the hell is hale mary then?

the pope one is in some special catholic book manuel thing, i'll have to make phone call to get the quote.

the hindu one was new to me though... so it's NOT a cigarette burn... that explains alll the wierd looks i get when i ask about them to anyone on my mothers side of the family...

#28 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ May 25 2006, 04:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cabnat, being a conservative doesn’t mean I agree with everything conservatives stand for. That’s called towing the party line, and it would require me to not use my brain. I’m against big government, constantly raising taxes, broken welfare systems, big government spending, and the United Nations. I believe conservatives are wrong when it comes to gay rights and the environment. But, rather than abandoning all logic just because they haven’t come around yet, I’d rather work on changing my party from the inside by promoting awareness and voting. But the democratic party’s not exactly doing much in those two areas either. I’m also pro-life. I believe a fetus is a human being. I will also say that sometimes it is necessary to kill a human being. Take that how you will.

Oh... so your a REPUBLICAN, why didnt you say so? Thats very different from being a CONSERVATIVE, becouse not all Republicans are Conservatives just like not all Democrats are Liberals.
Being a Conservative actualy means that you are against gay rights, you best just declare yourself other then Conservative or Liberal so as to not confuse anyone... like me...

#29 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (Cobnat @ May 24 2006, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mang? Is that a Spanglish word?

I think he meant man?
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#30 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (Otal Nimrodi @ May 25 2006, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think he meant man?

Makes sense, I thougt it was man too but since some Spanish words have "g" put on the end when translated from Spanish to English... well yeah...

• (13 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size