Chefelf.com Night Life: Da Vinci code - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Da Vinci code like it? hate it? post here!

#16 User is offline   Marky Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:The Chuckster, punkrock, beer, birds.

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:37 AM

Dan Brown is NOT a good author. This must be the fisrt time agree with Cyzyk, so it says a lot.

#17 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:47 AM

You're just jealous.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#18 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:25 AM

What pisses me off is that people are claiming every word is fact. An interesting fact about where you can find this book, if you look hard enough... IT'S IN THE FICTION SECTION, MORONS! It's FICTION!

QUOTE (Despondent @ May 18 2006, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's fun to laugh. See a crappy movie like ROTS and laugh a little.

Yeah. Like Plan 9!
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#19 User is offline   Cyzyk Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:42 AM

There is an exception to the funny bad movie rule; Manos: the Hands of Fate is so bad it isn't fun to watch.

EVERYBODY wants to make the Catholic Church have a conspiracy. Absolutely everybody. Even H.P. Lovecraft talks about 'rumors that a copy of Al Aziz's Necronomicon in the Vatican'. The Church getting accused of everything and anything isn't new.

Most people don't know that the Inquisition was a political tool wielded by the Spanish in open defiance of the Pope, and that Galileo was censured not because of his heliocentric theory, but because of other claims he made against the Church. Why doesn't someone write a book about that?
Tolerance is another word for Apathy

#20 User is offline   Marky Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Chuckster, punkrock, beer, birds.

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:48 AM

I really don't care if the conspiracy he describes is true or not. Whatever. It's just not very well written. I'm not saying he's the worst author ever, I'm just saying he's not a very good author. He sold, what, 40,000,000 copies, true. But I know a lot of people read if because a lot of people did so already. The book is overly-hyped. If you enjoyed the book, I'm not going to call you a fool, but if you just look at the way he writes, you can't conclude anything else that he isn't a brilliant writer.

#21 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:53 AM

I'll repeat why I read it...

Conspiracy theories are FUN!
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#22 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE (Cyzyk @ May 19 2006, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is an exception to the funny bad movie rule; Manos: the Hands of Fate is so bad it isn't fun to watch.

EVERYBODY wants to make the Catholic Church have a conspiracy. Absolutely everybody. Even H.P. Lovecraft talks about 'rumors that a copy of Al Aziz's Necronomicon in the Vatican'. The Church getting accused of everything and anything isn't new.

Most people don't know that the Inquisition was a political tool wielded by the Spanish in open defiance of the Pope, and that Galileo was censured not because of his heliocentric theory, but because of other claims he made against the Church. Why doesn't someone write a book about that?

Oh the poor Catholic Church. sad.gif Always the victim. crying.gif

ohmy.gif I know, stop making people feel guilty for doing things that nature intended them to do and don't go around saying your belief system is the only valid one, and maybe everybody will stop hating you. How bout that, Catholic Church? thumbsup.gif

This post has been edited by Sailor Abbey: 20 May 2006 - 08:20 AM

#23 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:42 AM

There are two things that really grate on my nerves: people forcing me to do things I really don't want to do at the time, and things recieving insane volumes of hype for no good reason. While the book of The Code was quite good (I read any damn thing), it wasn't as spectacularly legenarily life-changing as the media would make it out to be. And even before the reviews slating the film came out, I knew that it wasn't going to compare favourably to the book. So a bad film adaption of a passable book equals... what now, class?
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#24 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:43 AM

HitchHiker's guide?

Well... That was a bad film adaptation of a GOOD book, but...
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#25 User is offline   Cyzyk Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:01 PM

I know, stop making people feel guilty for doing things that nature intended them to do and don't go around saying your belief system is the only valid one, and maybe everybody will stop hating you. How bout that, Catholic Church?

Uh... I wouldn't recommend that 'nature intending them to do' argument. If I'm physically capable of beating the tar out of 99.5% of the population, should I? Nature allows me to make napalm, and ensures that it is highly effective on pets and small children, should I do that as well? Nature obviously doesn't even intend for us to reproduce limitlessly, as some people seem bent on trying. Actions have consequences. Science exists on that principle, it does not exist to violate it.

You should feel guilty for doing things you shouldn't do, it helps keep you from doing them again. Should people not have nerves, so they don't feel pain when they burn themselves? After all, that pain only discourages them from doing things.

As for the belief system being the only valid one, with religion you cannot have more than one right. If God as Catholics seem him exists, then being a Buddhist really won't do anything for you. It's all tree-huggy happy and politically correct to say otherwise, but even a child can do the logic. Pascal spells it out quite clearly.

#26 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:49 PM

Wow, the movie sucked. Cinema really isn't the medium for the story. The only good things about the movie were Paul Bettany and Ian McKellen.

I liked the book, though I admit that the characters were 1 dimensional (except Silas, he ruled). I liked the book for it's fast paced writing style that made you rush through the chapters. Also, I like conspiracy theories and what can be more surpirisng that God's power on Earth is a fake?
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#27 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:12 AM

Haven't seen it yet, but kind of want to. Although another reader of the book who I talked to tonight panned its dead delivery. Maybe if the history channel had done it it would be been better? Probably, he said.

#28 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE (Cyzyk @ May 21 2006, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Uh... I wouldn't recommend that 'nature intending them to do' argument. If I'm physically capable of beating the tar out of 99.5% of the population, should I? Nature allows me to make napalm, and ensures that it is highly effective on pets and small children, should I do that as well?

Hey, nature allowing and nature intending are two very different concepts.

Nature obviously doesn't even intend for us to reproduce limitlessly, as some people seem bent on trying.

I would have to disagree. Nature most likely intends for us to reproduce until we are no longer able to do so. However, we seem to have become quite adept at preventing nature from selecting a large percentage of the population for termination, so it just seems like we shouldnt be reproducing limitlessly.

You should feel guilty for doing things you shouldn't do, it helps keep you from doing them again.

Oh you mean things like having premarital sex, or having sex with somebody of the same gender, or masturbating, or how bout not going to mass on Sunday, or getting a divorce, or not baptizing your children... the list goes on...

As for the belief system being the only valid one, with religion you cannot have more than one right.

Wrong again. With monotheistic religions, you cant have more than one. You are making the assumption that all religions are, and I assure you they are not.

This post has been edited by Sailor Abbey: 22 May 2006 - 08:51 AM

#29 User is offline   Cyzyk Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:12 PM

Hey, nature allowing and nature intending are two very different concepts.

Invalid. If a thing is possible and relatively easy, it counts as nature intending it. Can hippos fly? No, nature does not intend for it. Do most birds? Yes. Does a bird have the option of not flying? It does, but for the bird not to fly is for the bird to waste a natural ability and short itself. Do I have the option of not beating the snot out of people? I both have and exercise that option, but I would profit from doing it.

Nature 'intends' for sex to result in reproduction, as does the Catholic Church. I fail to see how using science to turn it into a recreational activity counts as 'natural'.

Oh you mean things like having premarital sex, or having sex with somebody of the same gender, or masturbating, or how bout not going to mass on Sunday, or getting a divorce, or not baptizing your children... the list goes on...

Yes... doing something wrong, is wrong. And if something is wrong, you shouldn't do it. And if you do happen to do it, you shouldn't do it again. I fail to see how a guy getting a girl pregnant and dumping her isn't a wrong thing. I doubt that view changes even from a female perspective.

Wrong again. With monotheistic religions, you cant have more than one. You are making the assumption that all religions are, and I assure you they are not.

On the contrary, I recognize the presence of polytheism. But Buddhism (which isn't really a religion, per se) hardly agrees with what Vikings believed, and what Vikings believed doesn't line up with what American Indians believe, which is turn doesn't line up with what Hindus believe. Are cannibalism and human sacrifice good things? It varies on religion. Whether you believe in one god or eleventy million, odds are that they don't appreciate you worshipping other, outside gods.

Look at Greek mythology. Some of them get awfully annoyed when they see their worshipers going in search of greener pastures or ignoring them.

#30 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:43 PM

Alright, why don't you two take this outside. To the debate club, maybe.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size