• « First
  • Last »

Lucas releases the O-OT A twisted joke?

#61 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:17 PM

I wont get them (I dont care enough anymore), but that cover art looks like something I could knock up in 20 mins on photoshop.

#62 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:25 AM

i'll probably make my own covers...

i'll find a copy of the original video covers... they worked for me.

there's alot of DVDs that have dispensed with their original video cover art in place of crap ones...

i find it really upsetting, well disspointing... let's not be melodramatic here... but some rather spiffy art work has been don eover the years for a multitude of films and they're all being replaced with 5 minute Photoshop jobs...

#63 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:28 AM

You guys are glossing over the time factor. It takes more than 5 minutes to design well when you're pushing around pixels until you see a combination that looks good. rolleyes.gif

#64 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:34 AM

that's my point... but why replace a great cover at all?

#65 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2006 - 03:14 AM

After having posted yesterday I found out a lot of news on DVD sites for this release. It hasn't exactly improved my mood. The O-OT is referred to as "bonus discs".

There is no reason whatsoever why he can't release the O-OT in a much, much better format than what we're getting. Indiana Jones was anamorphic, why not this particular release? Virtually every single dvd release today is anamorphic. Lucas often prides himself on his technological advancements. Why the f**k does he insist on doing this to the O-OT??

Make your choices from the list below:

1. Lucas hates all O-OT fans and wants us to die.

2. The greed of Lucasfilm knows no bounds. The O-OT is re-released next year in anamorphic format in time for the 30th anniversary. (my choice)

3. Lucas alien neck compels him to do evil. (on second thoughts...)

#66 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2006 - 05:39 AM

I know, it's the principle of the thing, but really the anamorphic thing only matters if you have a widescreen TV. I don't, so that won't really be a factor for me.

Modern widescreen tv's tend to have a "zoom" function anyway that closely aproximates what the anamorphic widescreen would look like though it doesn't look quite as good.

But I agree, he seems like he's doing these things to spite fans... mix a little vinegar in the ice cream... as if he's afraid we won't go back to his new CG flavor...

And what the heck anyway, because he's selling is ANOTHER copy of the same 2004 editions again in the process.

#67 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 19 May 2006 - 08:15 AM

QUOTE (HK 47 @ May 19 2006, 04:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Make your choices from the list below:

1. Lucas hates all O-OT fans and wants us to die.

2. The greed of Lucasfilm knows no bounds. The O-OT is re-released next year in anamorphic format in time for the 30th anniversary. (my choice)

3. Lucas alien neck compels him to do evil. (on second thoughts...)

d) all of the above.

This post has been edited by Sailor Abbey: 19 May 2006 - 08:16 AM

#68 User is offline   Cyzyk Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:51 AM

Face it, we can expect repackaged varieties of the OT biannually untill we drown in them. I'm waiting for the Complete Epic Collecter's Remastered Gold-Foil Embossed Blu-Ray Exhaustive Dolby Surround Limited Edition with 74 hours of bonus features, special features, extra features, commentaries, documentaries, commentaries on the documentaries, documentaries on the commentraies, deleted scenes, interviews with everyone from Alec Guinness to the caterers, and every trailer for anything Star Wars related between 1930 and 2040. Not to mention a complete and unedited version of Hidden Fortress so we all get to see how much Lucas stole from Kurosawa.

I just watch the movies because they are entertaining and have Alec Guinness in them.
Tolerance is another word for Apathy

#69 User is offline   darth_paul Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Comics, Sci-Fi, Games, Religion (Christianity &amp; Catholicism), Politics (Republcan) - although I tend to stay away from discussing those last two since they often get me into trouble that I'd rather not deal with unless I am pushed, which then I'll push back until I get disgusted and give up. Other than that I can pretty much get along with anyone ;)

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:13 AM

Alright, here's my 2 cents - take it for what it's worth, blast me, applaud me whatever I don't care. Anyway, When I first heard about this it was off of the website for my local comic book store and I was like is this a joke? Then I found out more info here. While somewhat exciting, not for one instant did I ever think of buying this set. However it's formatted and whatever type of sound quality it has, what I read was that it will be something like six disc set with 3 cases in a box one for each film and the first disc of each case will have the unaltered OT and the second disc of each case will have the SE versions with all the bells and whistles. So, no matter what you are still getting the SE's whether you like it or not. As far as the box art goes for each of the movie cases, it's basically the same art as what is on the SE cases, so that seems to confirm that the SE's are in these new releases somewhere. Currently I own the remastered originals from '95 and both vhs and dvd copies of the SE's and all 3 PT movies. While I don't like eveything about about every movie and every version they're all just fine with me and I watch every one of them equally and my remastered vhs versions of the OT are good enough until my tapes fall apart and I have to upgrade to dvd versions of any sort. Until then why buy something I basically already own? I'm not such a completist that I just must have it.

#70 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:33 PM

Walrus Man rules.

#71 User is offline   Jedi_Arco Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 19 May 2006 - 05:55 PM

Okay folks, here ya go. I stumbled on these beauties about 8 months ago, right before Ep III came out on DVD. I, like Barend, didn't like any of the covers for the Star Wars movies. I have bootleg copies of the Lazerdisc THX (which are so close to perfect I may not buy these new ones) and I wanted all of my DVD's to look like they belonged together on the shelf. So, I give you some of the coolest slips for the DVD's I have ever gazed upon.

Leatherbound Star Wars Saga DVD Covers

These may not have the original artwork from the OT, but they are all uniformed and sweet in my opinion. And I know they are the Special Edition posters, but the Special Edition caption is nowhere to be seen on them, which I LOVE! Just burn these to a disc, take them to your local kinkos, have them print them for you, insert, and Enjoy! biggrin.gif

#72 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2006 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (Jedi_Arco @ May 19 2006, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay folks, here ya go. I stumbled on these beauties about 8 months ago, right before Ep III came out on DVD. I, like Barend, didn't like any of the covers for the Star Wars movies. I have bootleg copies of the Lazerdisc THX (which are so close to perfect I may not buy these new ones) and I wanted all of my DVD's to look like they belonged together on the shelf. So, I give you some of the coolest slips for the DVD's I have ever gazed upon.

Leatherbound Star Wars Saga DVD Covers

These may not have the original artwork from the OT, but they are all uniformed and sweet in my opinion. And I know they are the Special Edition posters, but the Special Edition caption is nowhere to be seen on them, which I LOVE! Just burn these to a disc, take them to your local kinkos, have them print them for you, insert, and Enjoy! biggrin.gif

What is the 'Journal of the Whills'?

#73 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:54 PM

I'm aghast that you ask that. No, no I'm not.

QUOTE (darth_paul @ May 19 2006, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Until then why buy something I basically already own? I'm not such a completist that I just must have it.
Tell that to the person who's MOST pissed at GL because he didn't get to complete his VHS Set of the OT and PT.

Nice covers. But the cartoon one is out of sequence (and really doesn't exist, you know).

#74 User is offline   darth_paul Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Interests:Comics, Sci-Fi, Games, Religion (Christianity &amp; Catholicism), Politics (Republcan) - although I tend to stay away from discussing those last two since they often get me into trouble that I'd rather not deal with unless I am pushed, which then I'll push back until I get disgusted and give up. Other than that I can pretty much get along with anyone ;)

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:55 AM

QUOTE (Despondent @ May 19 2006, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm aghast that you ask that. No, no I'm not.

Tell that to the person who's MOST pissed at GL because he didn't get to complete his VHS Set of the OT and PT.

Nice covers. But the cartoon one is out of sequence (and really doesn't exist, you know).

Well, I did actually buy a Star Wars Movie that I already owned for one that was "better", but it was Phantom Menace on DVD in widescreen when previously all I owned was the standard full frame VHS copy. It was one of the 1st DVDs that I purchased when I got my 1st DVD player (that and Monty Python and the Holy Grail were the 2 movies that I purchased becase at the time IMO they were quite possibly the best two releases available in terms of what was offered in terms of features and extras and whatnot in their respective 2 disc sets.) Anyway, I promptly sold my VHS copy of PM at a garage sale and it sold quickly. biggrin.gif

#75 User is offline   Gerhard Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 20 May 2006 - 06:19 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ May 20 2006, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is the 'Journal of the Whills'?

The original SW draft started "from the journal of the whills..."

But Google can always help find better explanations:
Here

• (11 Pages)
  • +