• +
  • Last »

Lucas releases the O-OT A twisted joke?

#16 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:51 PM

Yes, welcome Arco. Now there are so many different versions it's nearly impossible to keep them all straight.

I don't have any problems with cleaning up the movies here and there. For example the "Faces" set was fine with me. Anything that doesn't effectively change the plot/storyline/sequencing of the movies is okay in my book. Personally I'd like to see it cleaned up at bit (At least in DVD quality) but no more than that.

However, like Arco, I also have great quality DVDs of the laserdisc releases so I don't really need these releases now (fans have created these already because the need was real and Lucasfilm wasn't giving this segment of the market what we wanted) but I'll probably buy it just for completion's sake.

It'll at least be nice to see what special features/etc. are included.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#17 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:54 PM

i posted this in the news section without checking here first...

that was stupid, i was exited... sorry (only 6hrs late)

so eh... yeah.

holy freaking shit...

QUOTE (Chefelf @ May 4 2006, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
However, like Arco, I also have great quality DVDs of the laserdisc releases so I don't really need these releases now (fans have created these already because the need was real and Lucasfilm wasn't giving this segment of the market what we wanted) but I'll probably buy it just for completion's sake.

It'll at least be nice to see what special features/etc. are included.

1993 quality they said... so that's probably the laserdic.
but they each come with a second disc so... should be something on there.

i haven't watched star wars (OT) this century... so i'm pretty excited

#18 User is offline   Travis Mays Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:47 PM

Yeah, the second disc is gonna have the Special Edition. Probably another reincarnation. So Lucas will make you pay $30 per movie for a second disc of something you probably already have, and if you don't then you probably don't want it. I appluad you for your greed Mr Lucas, and the levels you have taken it to. You are truly remarkable.

QUOTE (barend @ May 4 2006, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i posted this in the news section without checking here first...

that was stupid, i was exited... sorry (only 6hrs late)

so eh... yeah.

holy freaking shit...
1993 quality they said... so that's probably the laserdic.
but they each come with a second disc so... should be something on there.

i haven't watched star wars (OT) this century... so i'm pretty excited

#19 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:18 PM

yeah, my boss is pretty pised off actually... he caved and bought the crap edition...

they better have special features like deleted scenes...

the alien quadrilogy has 2 versions of each 2hr film on one disc and bonus material on the second disc for each movie...

#20 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:41 PM

We're all aware that we're under no obligation to buy these DVD's though, right?

I personally like the Jabba scene, hate the Han scene, somewhere inbetween on the Seb Shaw scene...so no, I wont buy it.

#21 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2006 - 02:13 AM

Oh yeah!! wink.gif

#22 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:05 AM

Had I not seen it on SW.com I wouldn't have believed it myself. Hallelujah!

Sign of the Apocalypse?

Kudos to Lucas for only taking a few years to see the light.

My bet is that it'll just be the 2004 Edition on disc 1, and a slightly better than laserdisc quality 1995 edition on disc 2, no extras beyond what's on the movie discs themselves.

Despite the fact that this should have been done 2 years ago, I'm glad it finally happened. Our prayers were answered. wink.gif

Though it's "only for a limited time" so get it while you have the chance! (Thankfully DVD's last, unlike VHS tapes)

And here's hoping that they didn't get Lowry Digital to screw up this release somehow...

Edit: It will have been about two years since the Trilogy was first released on DVD (late 2004 vs. late 2006). The unaltered original trilogy really has been officially available since 1995 (1992 if you want to go back to before they changed up the audio on the home releases). Of course the DVD format really wasn't introduced until 1997. So eight years late, or two years late, whatever.

I own two copies of the trilogy, one copy on DVD (2004 set), so if I purchase this, that'll be two DVD sets, and two copies of the 2004 Edition (assuming that's what'll packed with this one, which I'm going to assume it is until I hear officially otherwise).

Yes, I wonder if this was his plan all along. Although after repeatedly saying these versions "don't exist for him anymore" and that the VHS release was the "last chance" this does make him look a little silly and greedy. But I'm not going to bitch now that our demands have been met. So get it while you can... wink.gif

This post has been edited by KurganX: 05 May 2006 - 05:12 AM

#23 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:42 AM

There was still good in him...

(and no, I didn't make this, Anchorhead did)

#24 User is offline   Gerhard Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:45 AM

I'm personally waiting for them to be reviewed on the net short time after the release.

If its a plain LD transfer, I already got those, thank you very much.

#25 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:42 AM

Well, I guess those people who waited it out as a matter of principle are rewarded. I've no particular desire to buy any of them, actually; I can always hire them from the video library if I really want.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#26 User is offline   Jedi_Arco Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Post icon  Posted 05 May 2006 - 12:17 PM

LOL Get them from the library. Love that!

And thank you for the warm welcome. One can never anticipate the kind of response one will get when first posting anywhere. So, thanks for not flaming me, and taking my comments in the spirit that they were intended. biggrin.gif

Anyway, is that official? That the versions of the originals will be the '95 THX ones? If so, that's fine by me. I, like ChefElf and others, only want the versions that have been untouched in the context of digital additions; ie: the redone Tattooine, Jabba, "Jedi Rocks!", etc... I want any version of the O-OT that was previously released on VHS prior to the first incarnation of the "Special Editions." I won't be a chooser, because God knows I'm a begger. Any version is fine with me.

And regarding barend's comments in an earlier post about the Alien Quadrilogy: that's a set that can teach quite a few studios and filmmakers how to box a set. Okay, I'm done. Thanks again.

#27 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 05 May 2006 - 04:02 PM

If i recall, several people here said that if lucas did this they would fully forgive him. well, how bout it?
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#28 User is offline   Gerhard Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE (Revan-47 @ May 5 2006, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If i recall, several people here said that if lucas did this they would fully forgive him. well, how bout it?

I don't recall saying that, but I do not want to start the party right now, what if the quality is poor? I will only buy if the image is as crisp as the 2004 DVD's.

the Sound being in 2.0 does not bother me.

#29 User is offline   Little Nippatiz Icon

• New Cop

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:58 PM

I'll never forgive.
Don't get me wrong, I'll get it, but I won't let up on george. This is what should of been done with the original dvd release and cost.

Dvds of "Alien" did it, "Legend" did it, etc, and for gods-sake the original low budget 'Dawn of the Dead' did it with 3 versions in one set including a European cut.
That's respect for the fans.

Instead, we pay more ransom cash to george.

#30 User is offline   Travis Mays Icon

• New Cop

Posted 05 May 2006 - 06:15 PM

They're taking the Digital Masters that were made in 93 and encoding them to DVD, so the image will be really good - mountains better than a Laserdisc to DVD transfer. No reason it shouldn't be just as good as the SE editions. Granted they were made from a hi-def source, but it only makes a minute improvement in the detail. Anway, I prefer that transfer over the SE transfers. Lucas manipulated the contrast and saturation to match eps 1-3 in the Special Editions. I prefer the originals that had the more gritty realistic look, especially ep 4.

If only I could get ahold of the masters, I would make my own SE edit! No jabba, no Greedo shoots first, but keep the death star sequence!

QUOTE (Gerhard @ May 5 2006, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't recall saying that, but I do not want to start the party right now, what if the quality is poor? I will only buy if the image is as crisp as the 2004 DVD's.

the Sound being in 2.0 does not bother me.

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size