• (2 Pages)
  • +

Why didn't...

#1 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:13 PM

Han and the others get immediately swept off the landing platform in Cloud City by the incredible force of the wind the second they stepped off the Falcon? They were clearly effected by the wind to some degree, which rules out any lame 'force field' excuse.

I know it's a little thing, but honestly, it's really bugging me. I simply cannot think of any explanation whatsoever, even a pathetically feeble gusher-type one. Can anyone else help?

#2 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:37 PM

The choir's voice blew away the air and created a vaccuum.

#3 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:13 AM

how windy does it get up THAT high...? I mean they were high in the clouds not on a high rise balcony amidst windtraps created by a planetary sized city worth.

how fast to clouds get moved?

#4 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2006 - 04:50 AM

Fast enough to be instantly blown off the platform.

Fast enough so that their hair will be more than just slightly ruffled.

#5 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:06 AM

Maybe there was a force field of sorts, but it had big gaps in it to allow venting and some natural air flow. My guess though is the thin atmosphere many miles up is what would have got to them.

#6 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:00 PM

given that the planet was a gas mining planet, and that you generally wouldn't be able to breath at that altitude, but could there.. i'd say it had different conditions.

it's not like the planet was covered in LAVA!!!

if you're ever in australia, it's be easier to justify with a pen and paper...
drawing atmospheric diagrams...

#7 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Apr 26 2006, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
given that the planet was a gas mining planet, and that you generally wouldn't be able to breath at that altitude, but could there.. i'd say it had different conditions.

So what you're saying is that "they were able to breathe there, because we saw them do it".

How can you buy Cloud City but not Mustafar?

#8 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:43 AM

I can buy Mustafar for the same reason I can buy Cloud City. Cloud City exists because it was in Flash Gordon. Mustafar exists because it was where the final moments of the ring quest in Lord of the Rings took place. Science doesn't enter into it, since these movies are not sci-fi, but good point about wind nonetheless. As for my, why I prefer EMPIRE to SITH is that it has Harrisson Ford in it and the acting and story were on some sort of consistent level that didn't make me feel ashamed to be watching it. I can't really speak for SITH directly, but if it's on par with TPM, it's not on the same level as EMPIRE.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#9 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:19 AM

It's certainly not as good as Empire, but I wish you'd watch it anyway, if only to hear your opinion.

#10 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Apr 26 2006, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if you're ever in australia, it's be easier to justify with a pen and paper...
drawing atmospheric diagrams...

I’m thinking a planet covered in lava is going to have an atmosphere that’s not conducive to breathing at all, what it all those toxic gasses being released into the atmosphere from everywhere at once.

#11 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 01 May 2006 - 03:08 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ Apr 27 2006, 02:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's certainly not as good as Empire, but I wish you'd watch it anyway, if only to hear your opinion.

That is the most flattering argument I have heard to date regarding the prequel films and my refusal to watch them. I still won't do it though. Mostly, I won't do it because if I told my friends that I'd seen the movies and they all asked me which of them had convinced me to do it, I'd hate to say "It was some guy I met on the Internet." But the rest of my reason is I know I'd hate them.

PS: I just though of this. From what I understand, there's a bit in AOTC where Ben and Anikin are high above the city and their hair doesn't even move. The only conlusion I can come to from these two details is that the people in the STAR WARS universe are really really heavy, right down to their hair. This is why the wind can't move them.

This post has been edited by civilian_number_two: 01 May 2006 - 03:09 AM

"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#12 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:47 AM

i don't think you should see ROTS...

as much as i bash it i know i only bash it as weakly as i do because i least gave the advantage of wowing me at the cinema...

i didn't know how much i hated TPM until i saw it on video.

the only thing worse than eventually checking out a movie you didn't think you'd enjoy is seeing that movie and relaising you should have seen it on a huge screen with literally mind numbingly loud audio...

#13 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:29 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ Apr 27 2006, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How can you buy Cloud City but not Mustafar?

lets take this thing in comparable layers

earth:

--------Space-------------(nothing to see here)
--------Exosphere--------
--------thermosphere----(aurora territory)
--------mesosphere-----
--------stratosphere-----(racreous clouds, unbreathably thin air)
--------troposphere-----(cumulus clouds, air n' shit)
--------crust--------------(1 mile down, big blue wobly thing keeps everything cool, nice thick ground)
--------magma-----------(hot fuck-you-up juice, saftley stored below save for a few pimples)
--------mantle------------
--------core---------------(solid iron wrapped in liquid iron... but hey, maybe a river runs through it wink.gif )

bespin:

--------Space-------------
--------thermosphere----
--------mesosphere-----
--------stratosphere-----(breathable air, thinner than the nasty but valuable gasses below)
--------troposphere----- (heavy gases you can't breath, but CAN sell)
--------crust--------------(regular run o the mill crusty ground, presumably water or something too)
--------magma-----------(safely secured by a well baked crust)
--------core---------------

mustafar:

--------Space-------------
--------thermosphere----
--------mesosphere-----
--------stratosphere-----(really thin air too hard to breath but who'd want to)
--------troposphere-----(cooked daily by natural magma and full of nasty burning gas goodness)
--------crust--------------(rather than pools of water it opens straight into the magma supply)
--------magma-----------(releasing its hot rich sauce and noxious gasses to the lands above)
--------core---------------

ultimatley, i think there's a big difference between a slight elevation in the atmophere layer dynamics and say... a godless ball of fire and death that is only one step away from being a sun.

This post has been edited by barend: 03 May 2006 - 02:31 AM

#14 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Apr 27 2006, 01:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can buy Mustafar for the same reason I can buy Cloud City. Cloud City exists because it was in Flash Gordon. Mustafar exists because it was where the final moments of the ring quest in Lord of the Rings took place. Science doesn't enter into it, since these movies are not sci-fi, but good point about wind nonetheless. As for my, why I prefer EMPIRE to SITH is that it has Harrisson Ford in it and the acting and story were on some sort of consistent level that didn't make me feel ashamed to be watching it. I can't really speak for SITH directly, but if it's on par with TPM, it's not on the same level as EMPIRE.

If you could actually SEE the nonsense on Mustafar you'd be chaning your tune. wink.gif

I respect that you have not seen ROTS. Personally, I don't know how you do it. I knew I'd hate it but the curiosity would have KILLED me had I not seen the movie as soon as possible.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#15 User is offline   miladyblue Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:04 PM

Actually, does anyone notice that there is no wind THAT HIGH UP anywhere in the movies, until it is needed for dramatic effect? rolleyes.gif

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size