Chefelf.com Night Life: $2000... CASH! - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

$2000... CASH! Thursday, March 8, 2006

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:25 PM

I sold my car a couple of weeks ago. This was a great feeling because now instead of not having a few thousand dollars I have a few thousand dollars. My current plans are to let it stay in my bank account for a couple of weeks to allow me to marvel at my checking account being at its highest dollar amount ever before I pay a few thousand dollars in bills.

The annoying thing -- apart from Autotrader.com being a horrible site that perpetually listed my car as being in the wrong state and regularly letting my ad lapse a week before the expiration date -- is that I am still continually getting phone calls and emails from jackasses who want to buy my car.

The guy who bought my car was cool and I'm glad I sold it to him because 90% of the people who are buying a car are terrible, rotten people and I don't feel any shame telling them so. I'd tell them right to their faces if they were in front of me and I thought I could suppress the desire to punch them instead. I'm getting a couple of emails and phone calls a day now in what has been the longest stretch of time that Autotrader.com has not screwed up my ad (oh, sweet irony).

Everyone thinks they're a friggin' genius. Everyone, and I mean everyone has tried to talk me down. Why is it that people think cash is just going to make my eyes glaze over and become a blundering moron. I just got an email from a guy that said he'll give me $2000.00... CASH! Cash? How'd this guy get his hands on this kind of money in cash?

I know I listed the car for $3000 but that was assuming that someone would pay me with a check or money order which, as we all know, isn't real money. After you cash a check the bank usually only lets you keep about half of the money because that's just the way that banks operate. There's banking fees, deposit tariffs, money tax, cashing charges, and so on. I never assumed in my wildest dreams that anyone would be able to get their hands on that kind of cash!

Besides, even if banks didn't keep half of the money from checks (in some sort of heavenly utopian fantasy world) would it really be worth it? You usually have to wait a week for a check to clear. Would it really be worth waiting an entire week to make a measly extra $1000? I think we all know the answer to that question so I won't insult you by listing it here.

Any way you have it I'm getting a daily reminder of my greed and lack of foresight with people emailing me to offer me $500 less than I got for my car... in cash!
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   ion eon Icon

• Evolved
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:stuff....

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:42 PM

I've been looking forward to another Chefelf story. I can't even drive alone yet...
OH NO!!!

#3 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:45 PM

Yes I meet people like that all over, not sure in that case on how they are geniuses, unless you mean using criticism insultingly to beat the price right down to $500. Sounds good for $3000, to this is there anything special about the car, or like for the make and model?

#4 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Mar 9 2006, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My current plans are to let it stay in my bank account for a couple of weeks to allow me to marvel at my checking account being at its highest dollar amount ever before I pay a few thousand dollars in bills.

Thats what I do. Its a great feeling.

#5 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Mar 10 2006, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats what I do. Its a great feeling.

It is, but it's a dangerous game we play. Let's hope that I smartly distribute the money towards my bills and not towards a brand new Apple G5.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#6 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:05 PM

It appears to me like you don't have much money, or struggling financially.
Did the car have much use to you?

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 10 March 2006 - 05:29 PM

#7 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 10 March 2006 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Mar 10 2006, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is, but it's a dangerous game we play. Let's hope that I smartly distribute the money towards my bills and not towards a brand new Apple G5.

You've already shown you have more will power than I. As soon as I read your post, I started thinking about all the stuff I could buy with $3000, and which bills I could go without paying for another few months. Good luck with that.

#8 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Mar 10 2006, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just keep considering it will be outdated in 18 months. And if you'd bought a month or two ago it wouldn't have the new intel chip it does today. All at the same price, folks.

I sold my pre-owned recently. The wheel goes round.

#9 User is offline   srmoore Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Redcloud Collective

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:33 PM

Ah.. the apple G5 quad.

We just got one of these at work. I wanted to sneak it out for my animation hobby. But they would have noticed. In reality the G5 still has the G5 processor, not the intel chip. Only the new iMac, the MacBook Pro and the Mac Mini have the intel chips at the moment. (Although I almost bought a dual core mac mini myself the other day.)

Instead I'm buying a nice high def front projection system. Oh I shouldn't. But I am.

#10 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (srmoore @ Mar 15 2006, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah.. the apple G5 quad.

We just got one of these at work. I wanted to sneak it out for my animation hobby. But they would have noticed. In reality the G5 still has the G5 processor, not the intel chip. Only the new iMac, the MacBook Pro and the Mac Mini have the intel chips at the moment. (Although I almost bought a dual core mac mini myself the other day.)

Instead I'm buying a nice high def front projection system. Oh I shouldn't. But I am.

Curious, can it be possible to combine a G5 processor with a Pentium 4 processor, using a custom designed circuit board and bridge chipsets?

Also considering for the software side of multitasking both for specific tasks.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 15 March 2006 - 01:51 PM

#11 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:51 PM

Surely, that is, if you're a very talented engineer.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#12 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE (Gobbler @ Mar 15 2006, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Surely, that is, if you're a very talented engineer.

Talented as to Knowledgeable:
I am interested in this area to know how that can work, not much knowledge in detail just yet though. Another thought was to add another dedicated processor or switchable between the two as the primary to work with either existing instruction sets when not multitasked, or using the unused processor on the other platform for specific tasks.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 15 March 2006 - 02:27 PM

#13 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:17 PM

And just how would that be a difficult thing to do? You do have your sense of priorities, right?

#14 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:08 AM

Question: What's the point of a shiny new mac if Oblivion will only be on PC?

(Well, and on X:Box360, but lets face it, PC versions of RPG's are always superior)
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size