• You cannot reply to this topic

Dr. Who Mmmmmm

#76 User is offline   Casual Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Location:That place thats close to the thing you know the one

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:32 PM

What are the opinions on having Catharine Tate as the new assistant? For those of you without BBC she’s a mediocre comedian that relies entirely on repetitive catch-phrases as the basis for all her (and I use the word loosely) comedy, five minutes of her show made me want to bang my head on a wall until it stopped. I had my doubts about Billie Piper but credit to her she proved me wrong, Catharine Tate however may well put me off watching the show altogether.
QUOTE (arien @ Jun 29 2008, 03:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So this baby, while still inside its mother, murdered his twin brother and STOLE HIS PENIS.

That is one badass baby.

#77 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:45 PM

I got a bit worried when I watched the new trailer that was shown in cinemas (no, Donna, you are not going to fall for the Doctor! There's been quite enough of that nonsense, already!), but I still have high hopes for her. So I'm going to stick with my current belief that DONNA WILL BE MADE OF AWESOME.

Martha had to walk the Earth for a year to play her part in the Doctor's "plan" to defeat the Master. Donna would have slapped him around and shouted at him until backed down. Such is the Power of Donna.
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#78 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:16 AM

Yes... it's time they stopped all this potential romance nonsence. It was fair enough in 2 episodes set in a pre WW1 school, but anything else is absurd.

The doctor is an 800+ year old alien who travels time and operates on a completely different level. Showing romantic interest a human would be like showing romantic interest in a kitten. Sure you may have affection for it, but you wouldn't snog it unless you were some kind of sicko.

#79 User is offline   Casual Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:40 AM

Well according to marketing dogma that what sells shows sex and violence. Am I the only one who finds Tate unbearable then? I just hope people don’t think British people are actually like that.
So this baby, while still inside its mother, murdered his twin brother and STOLE HIS PENIS.

That is one badass baby.

#80 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:26 AM

I honestly don't know much about Catherine Tate, herself. The first thing I saw her in was the end of Doomsday and The Runaway Bride, where I was kind of annoyed at first, but she really grew on me. So I watched a couple bits from her show on Youtube and didn't really get them (like the one with the very posh woman and her children panicking over expired yogurt), but I downloaded a couple series to watch in full and thought most of it was pretty funny.

...Except the couple who laughed their asses off about every stupid thing, and the woman who was startled by everything got pretty annoying rather quickly.

And the Life on Mars spoof she did? FUCK. YES. Because I LOVE Life on Mars. And Gene Hunt/Philip Glenister dressed as a bobby, having an impromtu cheery singsong on the beach made my face hurt from grinning.

(Which reminds me - why is there no Life on Mars or Ashes to Ashes thread here?)

And don't worry, we Americans are well aware you're all really evil villains, stuffy librarians, Cockney chimneysweeps, delightful eccentrics, or snooty, upper class types who sit around drinking tea all day. Now pass me my Big Mac and gun. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Jane Sherwood: 07 February 2008 - 10:39 AM

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
XD

#81 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:03 PM

I haven't seen the tate show yet.

the christmas ones are always a little too silly and bright. This last one had some great appearances. You may remember the newspaper stand vendor as the difficult customer thought to be a hotel critic in Faulty Towers, and the captain of the ship as Field Marshal Haig in Black Adder Goes Fourth (as well as many other DWs), Not to mention the husband from Keepin Up Apperances as the fellow the doctor leaves behind at the end (i missed the begining of that epsiode so i don't know completely what his deal was).

#82 User is offline   Casual Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:48 AM

QUOTE (Jane Sherwood @ Feb 7 2008, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And don't worry, we Americans are well aware you're all really evil villains, stuffy librarians, Cockney chimneysweeps, delightful eccentrics, or snooty, upper class types who sit around drinking tea all day. Now pass me my Big Mac and gun. tongue.gif

Spiffing! I'll just fetch my monocle, run up the apples an pairs and power up the doom laser! And you forgot that we all know about demons and magic.

What really kills me is the whole "FACE?!? BOTHERED?!?" thing she does because like little Britain people seem to endlessly repeat them in inappropriate situations. I quite liked Freema Agyeman if her and Chris Eccleston teamed up that would be a good combination.

That is one badass baby.

#83 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:48 AM

Barend: Aye. I can definitely understand strong emotional bonds forming between the Doctor and his companions, given his respect for humanity, constantly saving the species from extinction at the hands of the Weird, themselves, and various alien races, as well as being as of now the only surviving member of his race (though he obviously has never really liked them, so my guess is it's more the loss of their species and lack of anybody who can ever remotely be a long-term collegue, rather than specific attachment) and the apparent brutality of the Time War and whatnot. Romantic relationships, though? Bad form, given his lifespan, without factoring in everything else that goes with it. I'm going to blame his regenerations going awry due to lack of Gallifrey existing anymore. I don't think your analogy is correct, though. It's more like, well, a 900+ year old, time travelling alien falling for young humans for the 21st century. Erm, that's not an analogy. I guess, say, someone really old falling for someone who's under 18 and from an incredibly different culture with almost no frame of reference for comparison and who speaks a different language? Bleh. Highly inappropriate. There. I'm shutting up now.

Edit:

Casual: But for that to happen, I suppose Ten would have to take Martha back through his own series of Established Events and interrupt Nine's timeline? Or I guess we could make some extra-super contrived thing where the Doctor degenerates into an earlier incarnation, or it could be a parallel universe thing. Or an entirely new show. And now I want to find a Cockney Rhyming Slang dictionary. Don't forget your top hat.

This post has been edited by Slade: 08 February 2008 - 10:53 AM

This space for rent. Inquire within.

#84 User is offline   Casual Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:30 PM

No top hats guv they offend me mince pies an make you look proper tom hank. How would that look down the ol nuclear sub?

I know it couldn’t happen I was just talking about my ideal Dr and assistant line up.

That is one badass baby.

#85 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:54 PM

Slade... technically speaking; 900+ isn't really a correction on 800+ because 900 is 800+ so 900+ is still over 800. They were taling about him being 800 and something in 'Pyramids of Mars' (1974-1975) which I watched just the other day so I was just going off the top of my head on that one.

The point is lifespan. Humans are short lived.

#86 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:44 AM

If that were the only case, you'd think Captain Jack would be the Doctor's perfect companion. He can't die, he'll out-live the Doctor, and if it weren't for his team in Cardiff Jack'd probably never choose to leave him. And god knows the man is loyal to him.

Then again, there is that whole problem with Jack being a "Fact" and the Doctor being instinctually repelled by it...

XD

#87 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:08 PM

I quite like captain jack. i think he should hang around for a bit.

#88 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:34 PM

HOLY CRAP!!!

Anyone watch saturday's episode?

EDIT: 'The Stolen Earth' that is.

This post has been edited by barend: 30 June 2008 - 06:35 PM

#89 User is offline   Casual Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Jul 1 2008, 12:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HOLY CRAP!!!

Anyone watch saturday's episode?

EDIT: 'The Stolen Earth' that is.

I know that thar be some good sci-fi, Davros is back and they're replacing David Tennant! Can't say I thought he made the best Doctor but they sure managed to keep that one quiet didnt they?

This post has been edited by Casual: 30 June 2008 - 06:48 PM

That is one badass baby.

#90 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:32 PM

Ah tricky and creul... I just watched the finale last night.

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic