Chefelf.com Night Life: V For Vendetta - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

V For Vendetta Anyone here seen it?

#16 User is offline   Marky Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:The Chuckster, punkrock, beer, birds.

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:51 AM

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

biggrin.gif

#17 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (Supes @ Apr 16 2006, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's also a shame that we have to wait for the movie to come out in order to make us think about a topic that was depicted in a grahic novel almost 25 years earlier. Or is it more concerning that it is just a relevant today and can make such a mirrored social commentary. Im torn...

if anything, it's more relevant!

#18 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Mar 26 2006, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I saw it. It is pretty faithful to the graphic novel, with some differences to make Portman's and Rea's characters more sympathetic. The film's issue of fascism is more cartoonish, and easier to sell in a film. It's a pretty big idea to do in a movie, and was ultimately too big for the comic series as well. Poor sales or whatever had caused it to be reduced from a planned ongoing series to a miniseries, and as such many character plots were truncated to the point of questionable relevance. The movie resolved this by cutting some characters out altogether.

I've only got the book today, I'm at page 69 (no jokes please) and the film is almost nothing like the book. Such as,

*Spoiler*
V doesn't blow up the Houses of Parliament a year after the Old Bailey, he blows them up first, and then later blows up the Old Bailey. And this before he even kills that Reverend. The fact that Evey is not arrested for breaking curfue, but for trying to solicit the fingermen. The murder on the train? Or the fact that Evey is suppose to be 15 or 16, not in her twenties... Its more that they cut out vast qualities and changed the orders of events, rather than changed things, but they made V seem much more sane in the film than he is the book.

This post has been edited by Dr Lecter: 21 April 2006 - 06:57 PM

#19 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:24 PM

I saw it yesterday.

I liked it, despite its frequent moments of stupidity. Like has been said, the general tone of the film was really watered down (thats a facist England?!), but I still thought the messages (controlling people through fear, creating a war- which is also what happened in Star Wars) got through and of course are important and relevant.

How did she go undetected for a whole year?

How did she not recognise V's voice when she was imprisoned?

etc. but those things really didn't get in the way too much.

#20 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:00 AM

Thats all explained better in the book.

#21 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:00 PM

Loved the movie and the theme of it, but where does an escaped experimental prisoner get a hideout, gadgets, and the endless resources V displays? I'm sure it was explained in the book, but they could have had a tiny bit of exposition about it.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#22 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:58 AM

I always figured he was running a soft-ice-empire in the background...

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#23 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2006 - 04:47 AM

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ Aug 3 2006, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Loved the movie and the theme of it, but where does an escaped experimental prisoner get a hideout, gadgets, and the endless resources V displays? I'm sure it was explained in the book, but they could have had a tiny bit of exposition about it.

He's actually been at large for quite a few years before he begins his campaign. It is never discussed, but the assumption is that during this time and using his superior intellect and skills he has been able to collect the things he needs not only to complete his very detailed plan, but also pander to his personal fetishes. The book does give a better sense of time, but I thought the movie also indicated that this was the case. I may, however, have been biased from this preconceived idea.
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#24 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:49 PM

Rate Natalie Portman's performance in "V" - flat or not flat?
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#25 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (Lord Aquaman @ Aug 4 2006, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rate Natalie Portman's performance in "V" - flat or not flat?

Adequate! I felt she excelled during the more intense scenes, particularly during her "incarceration". But I did find her a little flat in some of the other scenes. I think this would have been negated had they gone with the backgrond from the book, but overall I liked her perfomance and thought she did a vry good job.

It's easy to make this call after seeing the PT. Her acting is so bad in these that anything else she does looks great.
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#26 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:33 AM

I watched it on HBO last night and I really liked it. It was a bit hard to get into at first, but once it got going it was pretty good. NPs accent is atrocious. Hello, can these people not hear themselves?

At least she gave it a shot though, unlike some people.

I’m talking to you Kevin Costner.

#27 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Oh you know the usual....
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:03 AM

hmmm i saw it opening weekend

my only complaint is i wanted to see V
and more than just a hand

i wanted to see his horrible disfigured face
and still love him because he's V

oh and i love the Beginning/end
Remember, remember the fifth of November.....

Duct tape is like the force....

There's a lightside, a darkside

and it holds everything together

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#28 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:52 AM

Just imagine Agent Smith with some quality burn-victim makeup on and less modern suit.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#29 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Oh you know the usual....
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:30 AM

well ....
i'd hope they would do
a little something different

that Hugo Weaving as a burn victim
like a burn double
i dunno

Duct tape is like the force....

There's a lightside, a darkside

and it holds everything together

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#30 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:34 AM

A question one of the guys at IMDB's forums asked dealt with Deitrich's little "skit" in the film making fun of the Chancellor.

The question: wasn't this just outright suicide? Deitrich couldn't have seriously believed he would and could get away with that, not in a world where he had to hide his own homosexuality for fear of being imprisoned or murdered, just because he was a celebrity. Was he simply delusional, or was he full out expecting to be killed and hoping to be martyred (spelling) for what he did?

Of course, V says Deitrich was shot after they found the Quran in his home, but I'm pretty sure that if they found his copy of the Quran, then they probably found the other stuff he had.

What do you all think of this?
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size