Chefelf.com Night Life: Why is there so much hatred for the prequels here? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Why is there so much hatred for the prequels here?

#61 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:23 AM

I can't be bothered to go back and cut and paste everyones quotes, but...

Barend- you're right, saying its all about nostalga is a stupid simplifcation on my part, but I still think that my point about a lot of people refusing to acknowledge the flaws of the OT while bashing the same stuff in the PT (not naming names here, so dont jump in and beat me up) is an accurate one.

Whoever said something about Anakin and his mother in episode one not relating to 2 and 3- what happens with Anakin and his mother in 1 is important and in fact pretty much determines the characters whole arc in the PT. i think i wrote something about this somewhere. maybe this thread im not sure. theyre all blending into one.

Whoever said that thing about Jar Jar- obviously, but hes no less useless to the story than 3PO.

and Helena- what happened to you? you sound like the reincarnation of JYAMG

#62 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ Mar 29 2006, 06:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whoever said that thing about Jar Jar- obviously, but hes no less useless to the story than 3PO.

Funny. I remember (ESB days, long before the Anikan BS) that all the movies were supposed to have been seen through the droids' "eyes".

What say we see a new OT with a trio of bumbling characters, a greek chorus if you will. Finally we'll get to hear "we don't serve your kind here" spoken to (shudder) Jar jar.

#63 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Mar 28 2006, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Theres some natural blonds with inner values. Natural blonds are way hotter and a lot nicer than fake blonds.

Name one nice natural blonde.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#64 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:35 PM

My sister. Hmm... although the majority of her niceness comes from her naivity...

Edit: Oh, and Jiria Landgraf. She's the incarnation of nicene-... hmm... no wait, I think she is just like an infinite amount of naïveness, too...

Edit Edit: Okay, alright, so maybe the world is "naivety". Shoot me twice.

Edit Edit Edit: I dare you.

This post has been edited by Gobbler: 29 March 2006 - 02:45 PM

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#65 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Mar 29 2006, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Funny. I remember (ESB days, long before the Anikan BS) that all the movies were supposed to have been seen through the droids' "eyes".

What say we see a new OT with a trio of bumbling characters, a greek chorus if you will. Finally we'll get to hear "we don't serve your kind here" spoken to (shudder) Jar jar.

Funny. I remember that, too. I also remember (pre-ANH days) that all the movies were supposed to be part of the "Journal of the Whills" in which an ancient race of all powerful Force beings (The Whills) told the story of the Starkiller line. Some people believe Yoda was a Whill, but this isn't true, according to The Flannel One. How would you like it if some Yoda character was narrating the entire story? Harder to understand, it would be.

QUOTE (barend @ Mar 26 2006, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
of course... if i were to try neopolitan ice cream for the first time and found that brown was literally shit, i'm quite sure i'd avoid the the other two lest they be menstral blood and semen...

You're eating the wrong ice cream.

#66 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:48 PM

Quite true, that statement is.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#67 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:14 PM

The open text to star wars would be interesting read by yoda:

A period of civil war it is hmmm, striking from a hidden base, during the battle, rebel spies to ulitmiate weapon of the empire, stolen plans they have, an armored space station, The Death Star it is called hmmmp, and enough power to destroy a planet in its entirety it has... hmmmm ooooo...
Race home, Princess liea does, persued by the Empire's sinister agents she is, while aboard her starship, a custodian she is of stolen plans that save her people they can, and to the galaxy restore freedom they will hmmm?

#68 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (Lord Aquaman @ Mar 26 2006, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some of my favorite reasons to hate the prequels -

1) Jar Jar Binks
He is needed whether we like him or not.
2) No plausible reason for separating Anakin from his mother, as mentioned before, and also no plausible reason for it taking him ten years to get back to her.
Jedi can have no attachments for fear of losing those attachments. Same reason he was kept away from his mother for ten years.
3) No plausible reason(s) for the romance between Anakin and Padme other than Luke & Leia needing a mother.
Luke and Leia aren't plausible enough of a reason? Only creature I've heard of as being 'asexual' in the SW universe are the Hutts.
4) A planet stupid enough to elect a 14 year old girl to be its supreme ruler, even if its only for a few years.
Yeah, that is stupid. England and France would never do that... oh, wait... they did. Not by election, however.
5) Anorexic combat droids that resemble Daffy Ducks
Anorexic because they were inexpensively built.
6) Way, way, WAY too much CGI.
Name another sci-fi movie these days that doesn't have too much CGI.
7) Building up Darth Maul prior to the release of Episode I and then killing him with no further ado or importance assigned to him.
Darth Maul was important. He was the first implication that the Sith were still alive in almost a thousand years.
8) An army of Jedi Knights being killed first by the aforementioned anorexic Daffy Duck robots before the survivors are rescued by an army of Clones who later kill the remaining Jedi in the last installment.
Power struggle between the Light and Dark sides of the Force, nothing more.
9) Political jargon that never amounts to anything important.
I'm not going to get into the political ramifications, it would take more time than I have readily available.
10) Qui-Gon Jinn and the fact that he dominates Episode I when Episode I should have featured Obi-Wan Kenobi's importance in the life of Anakin Skywalker, not some unabashedly liberal guy who's only reason for being a liberal is to make the other Jedis look like heartless conservatives.
Ummm... that was kinda the point. Qui-Gon's a rogue Jedi. Lucas stated this before TPM even came out.
11) The fact that the Jedi are not more heroic.
Define heroic and explain how they weren't.
12) C-3P0 and R2-D2 being thrown in just for the Hell ofit.
Comic relief... albeit a very miniscule amount.
13) R2 having jet packs.
That's just so dumb... I mean, why would Anakin (a wizard with technology repair) put his own aftermarket modifications on a robot? Or a pod racer for that matter?
14) The whole nonsense with Jango Fett and Boba Fett.
It's not even the real Boba Fett, so what does it matter?
15) The fact that all it took to get rid of General Zod as the Galactic counselor was to "move for a vote of no confidence". My God, if Superman and the people of Earth had tried the same tactic in Superman II they could have dealt with Zod much more easily and stress free.
It was Chancellor Vallorum, not General Vallorum.
16) A planet named "Naboo".
Or a planet called "Kashyyyk", or "Utapau"... I mean, come on.
17) Aliens with bad French accents.
Yeah, French people piss me off.
18) A "perfectly legal" blockade by alien businessmen who shouldn't even have a private army.
Set into place in the Galactic Senate which was being taken over by the one and only Darth Sidious.
19) The fact that the aforementioned alien businessman have a representative in the galactic senate.
Yeah, they do... Palpatine.
20) The poorly executed Episode II fight between Obi-Wan, Anakin and Christopher Lee.
Why was it poor? Is it because Obi-Wan and Anakin both got schooled?
21) Not enough of that foxy young actress who played the young version of Aunt Beru.
Oh boy... I'm not going to touch this reason with a ten foot pole.
22) Little to any real relationship between Anakin and [Uncle] Owen prior to his becoming Vader.
At the time they met, Anakin was being a butthole, so it's no wonder why the relationship didn't have much impact.
23) No genuine reason to find Anakin sympathetic.
Kinda the point... he's not sympathetic, he's angry and confused.
24) The fact that Anakin turned to the Dark Side was all for a girl who was about as charismatic and engaging as a block of wood.
Heh! Women! They say Eve only cost Adam a rib... imagine what a perfect woman would have cost him... an arm and a leg? How about all of his limbs and a downward spiral into destruction and deceit?
25) The fact that Padme was heartless enough to reject Anakin's admittedly creepy advances while wearing a strapless leather dress (that's just low).
Yeah, kind of a tease, if you ask me. She did have good reasons, though.
26) Padme's shirt being torn up by a lion-thing that somehow rips off the entire lower middle section despite the fact that the angle at which the scratch took place would not have allowed for this.
Have you ever ripped someone's shirt off? I have. Playing football. I went to tackle the ball carrier and just narrowly missed him, but I got a grip on his shirt. I was starting to get back up after hitting the ground and I gave the handful of shirt a tug and it ripped this way and that. Sometimes fabric doesn't quite rip the way you would expect it to. I ended up bringing him to the ground and by the time my teammates were there to cover him, he had no shirt. It had completely unraveled in a multitude of directional tears. Besides the fact, I thought Natalie Portman looked like the best candidate to have some midriff showing.

And the list goes on and on...

I'd gladly like to see the rest of the list when you get a chance.

QUOTE (barend @ Mar 29 2006, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The open text to star wars would be interesting read by yoda:

A period of civil war it is hmmm, striking from a hidden base, during the battle, rebel spies to ulitmiate weapon of the empire, stolen plans they have, an armored space station, The Death Star it is called hmmmp, and enough power to destroy a planet in its entirety it has... hmmmm ooooo...
Race home, Princess liea does, persued by the Empire's sinister agents she is, while aboard her starship, a custodian she is of stolen plans that save her people they can, and to the galaxy restore freedom they will hmmm?

laugh.gif
Awesome!

#69 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Mar 29 2006, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That idea was only applied to ANH, in an idea Lucas stole (or one of the many he stole) from Kurosawa. An interesting idea, but obviously not one thats going to sustain an entire series.

#70 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (Lord Aquaman @ Mar 29 2006, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Name one nice natural blonde.

I can’t name any famous ones, only ones I’ve met in real life.

QUOTE (Jejef Thgaron @ Mar 29 2006, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Funny. I remember that, too. I also remember (pre-ANH days) that all the movies were supposed to be part of the "Journal of the Whills" in which an ancient race of all powerful Force beings (The Whills) told the story of the Starkiller line. Some people believe Yoda was a Whill, but this isn't true, according to The Flannel One.

How come that little yoda looking fucker from KOTOR is a Whill but Yoda isn’t. That’s retarded. George Lucas cant even keep his own universe straight. GENIUS! rolleyes.gif

#71 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (jariten @ Mar 29 2006, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That idea was only applied to ANH, in an idea Lucas stole (or one of the many he stole) from Kurosawa. An interesting idea, but obviously not one thats going to sustain an entire series.

No, they were to be the continuity to tie the three trilogies together.

At what point do you accept GL...

...not being consistent? unsure.gif

...not true to his original "vision"? rolleyes.gif

....an arrogant fraud? yell.gif (or)

....for the last time dammit, above reproach? sleep.gif

#72 User is offline   Just another wretched fan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:06 PM

2) No plausible reason for separating Anakin from his mother, as mentioned before, and also no plausible reason for it taking him ten years to get back to her.

Jedi can have no attachments for fear of losing those attachments. Same reason he was kept away from his mother for ten years.

Funny, he proved his own point. Wouldn't it be totally against the intuition to promate fear by removing a powerful and immature force user from an intense relationship?

So a Jedi doesn't get involved with the ladies to keep away from drama. I can see that. Buit why fuck with their heads by destroying healthy relationships already in place.

You'd think that healthy Jedi would have healthy family lives.

#73 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE (Just another wretched fan @ Mar 29 2006, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Funny, he proved his own point. Wouldn't it be totally against the intuition to promate fear by removing a powerful and immature force user from an intense relationship?

So a Jedi doesn't get involved with the ladies to keep away from drama. I can see that. Buit why fuck with their heads by destroying healthy relationships already in place.

You'd think that healthy Jedi would have healthy family lives.

The Jedi normally don't try to destroy healthy relationships already in place. Normally, Jedi-to-be's are adopted while still in their infancy. This is why Yoda said Anakin was too old to begin training at nine years old. If he were say, two, or maybe even three years old, it wouldn't have been a problem. This has a lot to do with the reason Anakin turned to the dark side. He became too attached to his mother, and later, to Padme. He feared losing them. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

#74 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (jariten @ Mar 29 2006, 03:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and Helena- what happened to you? you sound like the reincarnation of JYAMG

Helena speaks the truth. Always has.

And speaking of JYAMG, where is he? I haven't seen him around here in a while.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#75 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Mar 29 2006, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How come that little yoda looking fucker from KOTOR is a Whill but Yoda isn’t. That’s retarded. George Lucas cant even keep his own universe straight. GENIUS! rolleyes.gif

Is KOTOR part of the six films, or is it EU? How come it's ok for bashers to cite the EU, but if I mention something out of the EU, it's considered not canon? I think GL says a lot of things like this for a good reason: To make you ask questions. Lucas is probably sitting at Skywalker Ranch reading this forum right now laughing his ass off at questions like these... not that it isn't a good question, but it stands to reason that he probably says things just to get people all riled up. Just like the fact that he said ROTS will be the last SW film ever... riiiiiight. I'll believe that when the sequels don't come out within the next twenty years. In other words, if there aren't going to be any sequels to ROTJ, then why did every employee at ILM have to sign a disclosure saying they won't discuss the creation of said movies? They're coming... who knows when, but they will come out. Peter Mayhew is still under contract to play Chewbacca for 3 more movies. This came straight from the horse's mouth.

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size