Chefelf.com Night Life: Petting Zoos: Terror Targets? (erm... no) - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

Page 1 of 1

Petting Zoos: Terror Targets? (erm... no) Wednesday, July 12, 2006

#1 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 12 July 2006 - 02:24 PM

Inspector: Homeland Security database flawed
Petting zoo, kangaroo center on list of vulnerable sites; Indiana has most

WASHINGTON - A Homeland Security database of national monuments, chemical plants and other structures vulnerable to terror attacks is too faulty to accurately help divide federal funds to states and cities, according to the department’s internal watchdog.

Much of the study by Homeland Security Inspector General Richard Skinner appears to have been completed before the department announced in May it would cut security grants to New York and Washington by 40 percent this year.

But the report, which was released Tuesday, affirmed the fury of those two cities — the two targets of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks — which claimed the department did not accurately assess their risks.

Instead, the department’s database of vulnerable critical infrastructure and key resources included the Old MacDonald's Petting Zoo near Huntsville, Ala., a bourbon festival, a bean festival and the Kangaroo Conservation Center in Dawsonville, Ga.

The database “is not an accurate representation of the nations CI/KR (critical infrastructure and key resources),” inspectors concluded. Additionally, the database “is not yet comprehensive enough to support the management and resource allocation decision-making envisioned by the National Infrastructure Protection Plan.”

Assets skewed
The report noted that Indiana has 8,591 assets listed in the database — more than any other state and 50 percent more than New York. New York had 5,687 listed.

It did not detail which ones, but the Homeland Security assessment of New York this year failed to include Times Square, the Empire State Building the Brooklyn Bridge or the Statue of Liberty as a national icon or monument.

“I was made aware of this for the first time this morning,” said Sherry Lewis, owner of the Old MacDonald’s Petting Zoo in Huntsville told MSNBC.com. “We’ve never had a disturbance, never had a bomb threat,” she said. “This is getting out of hand.”

Lewis described the zoo as located as a “small out-of-the-way place.”

As to how her business made the list, she speculated, “We pay taxes, we must be on some kind of database somewhere.”

A Homeland Security spokesman did not return a call or e-mail for comment Tuesday night. But in an April 13 response to a draft of the report, department Undersecretary George Foresman said the database represented a range of national assets that could face different levels of threats at different times.

'Mature and improve' process
The data “have been and are currently being utilized to support allocation decision making processes for the department,” wrote Foresman, who oversees the database and the grant funds.

He added: “The process also continues to mature and improve.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13822662/

I love the word "farce". You get the sense from it that it's talking about something inane, stupid, perhaps even pointless. Plus, it sounds a bit like "farts". And describes this database kinda well, too.

Thanks to JM for giving us this one!
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#2 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 12 July 2006 - 03:44 PM

Well it sounds like there is not much dedication on designing or setting up the database. I am thinking of lowest bidder unless it was deliberate.

#3 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 12 July 2006 - 06:15 PM

I read about this this morning... WHAT THE HELL?!

I think that Hit and Run (my local card store) should be on the database, considering what else was on...

Then again, those people are jerks.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#4 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:35 PM

I wonder why my town's zoo didn't make the list. Everyone knows that the Luray zoo is the nerve center of the US and that if terrorists could bypass the security, which consists of a sign saying "tresspassers will be eaten", the American empire would fall.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#5 User is offline   Zewb Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Things and stuff.

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:59 AM

Dear God...we have to evacuate the goats now!
"It's gettin' to be re-goddamn-diculous. If you guys don't start thinking as men, we're gonna have a lousy country."

-John Wayne

#6 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 19 July 2006 - 04:54 PM

Why would terrorists want to attack zoos?

It is full of animals apart from money unless they had something to hide about that. I thought it is the people they are after and not the animals.

Why don't they attack theme parks and holiday attractions where the tourists actually stay?
A bit morbid of me to say but I am not sure if they have points to prove to this.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 19 July 2006 - 04:57 PM

#7 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:43 PM

Nannies and kids first!
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#8 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• Viva Phillippena Radio!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Body Disposal.

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:49 PM

I here by declare that my arse is a terrorist target, when do you think the Secret Service will come around to protecting it?

#9 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:14 PM

You mean when you flood up the sewers?

#10 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE (Cobnat @ Jul 23 2006, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I here by declare that my arse is a terrorist target, when do you think the Secret Service will come around to protecting it?

The Secret Service isn't at all those targets 24/7
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#11 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:31 PM

How about listening to telephone conversations 24/7?

I hear that they made it legal for the Bush Foundation.

#12 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• Viva Phillippena Radio!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Body Disposal.

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (Otal Nimrodi @ Jul 24 2006, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Secret Service isn't at all those targets 24/7

Then what good are they!? angry.gif Id probebly get more protection in a Jihadist camp then in this pitiful city.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size