Chefelf.com Night Life: LEft out of the Bible - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

LEft out of the Bible is the old and new testament all there is?

#1 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:33 PM

I was watching this show on the history channel, very interesting and enlightening show about all of the books left out of the bible. Ex: Gospel of Peter, Peter's appocolyptic writings, NIccodemus, and many more. I now firmly believe that the spectrum of religion is far to wide to only believe in one sect of faith. IF we take a good look at most religions we may find that they all fit together in a balanced way.
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#2 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:03 PM

Welcome to the comparative religions course then. Please do not, that by taking another good look, the exact opposite can be found very easily.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#3 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2006 - 05:03 PM

Ah, never seen that before, but I wonder if torture is left out of the bible?

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 25 February 2006 - 05:05 PM

#4 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:48 PM

The catholic church left many things out that they deemed unfit or heretical.

#5 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 February 2006 - 09:31 PM

Try reading the Apocrypha. They used to be a part of the Bible, but fairly recently (as in, not when Christianity was first born) people deemed those particular books unimportant, and they took them out. Personally, I find them to be every bit as relevant as any of the other books, and in some ways, more interesting than some of the other books. And I noticed when reading it that a lot of it was stuff that had women as the important roles, such as one book completely devoted to "Sophia," meaning wisdom - personified as a woman, kind of God's female side. This was written by Solomon, the author of Proverbs, and the only reason I can think of of why they would take it out is because it shows God as two sides of the same coin, male [i]and[i] female. And of course there was all the stuff they filtered out that was floating around when the Church was first being formed, like the Gnostic texts. They're really an interesting read. A lot of the Gnostic texts are contradictory to what's in the Bible, which is the reason for most of their removals. Still, it makes you wonder about the absolute validity of the Bible that so many religious people stand by.
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#6 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:24 PM

Yes, the same reason the gospel of mary was left out. it showed that Jesus favored her amoung the apostles, the church didnt like that a female was liked better then the other male diciples.

#7 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:36 PM

Actually, the Gospel of Mary contradicted the rest of the more widely accepted Gospels in some really big ways. That's why it was tossed. (Also, we don't even know if that was written by the true Mary Magdalene, or even a girl, really, as it wasn't known about until very recently, and the only copy that exists was written several hundred years after Christ's death.)
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#8 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:46 PM

The church actually banned a lot of Christian writings, such as the Book Of Enoch, which I'm a big fan of.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#9 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:54 PM

There's this one Gnostic book, I can't ever remember which one (bad with names), maybe it's Nicodemus, that has Jesus as a kid going around killing people that piss him off. Or is that the one you were talking about, JM?

#10 User is offline   Zatoichi Icon

• Left Hand Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Conquering the World! Being the who when you call "Who's there?"

Posted 26 February 2006 - 01:48 AM

Historians also believe that Deuteronomy wasn't actually written by Moses, but a king of Judah who wanted to validate his own views and said that this book was "discovered".
Apparently writing about JM here is his secret weakness. Muwahaha!!!! Now I have leverage over him and am another step closer towards my goal of world domination.

"And the Evil that was vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the guise of man shall he walk amongst the innocent and Terror shall consume they that dwell upon the Earth. The skies will rain fire. The seas shall become as blood. The righteous shall fall before the wicked! And all creation shall tremble before the burning standards of Hell!" - Mephisto

Kurgan X showed me this web comic done with Legos. It pokes fun at all six Star Wars films and I found it to be extremely entertaining.
<a href="http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html" target="_blank">http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html</a>

#11 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:22 AM

Of course it wasn't written by Moses. The old testament as well as quite a lot parts of the new testament didn't exist in written form for a very very long time. Each generation passed the stories on and added or left out some things.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#12 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:53 AM

If any of you want a critical discussion of New Testament and much of the Christianity, here is an excellent link -
http://www.geocities.com/paulntobin/

And yes, there is much more to it:

take Koran - excellent book, also states it was written by God, or under God's influence or something, only those who believe in it are somewhat hostile to the rest of the world and to each other (sunni killing shia in Iraq and vice versa), which does not prevent it from being the fastest growing religion in the world.

Or the Bhagavad Gita - I think Krishna also warns unbelievers in Krishna that they are going to burn in hell.

Or the Book of Mormon, given to Joseph Smith by the angel Mormoni - I believe millions of Mormons will swear that it was sent to this world by God himself.

And, in case you were wondering, Jesus has already revisited this world and Armageddon was supposed to happen in 1914, 1925 and 1975, also according to the Bible and 7 milliion of Jehowa Witnesses.

In view of the above - those books can't all be right, but they all can be wrong.

#13 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:56 AM

Excellent summary there, Mrs. Corvax. I totally agree with you.

#14 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2006 - 06:51 AM

I have come to exact opposite opinion, all religion must die. Especially Christianity.

#15 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:21 AM

Dr Lecter? Opposite opinion to what?? unsure.gif

I merely commented on the multitude of holy books and religions. And sadly, religions will not die. I once heard a good point - there must be something in our genes, some atavistic behavioural trait to make people who believe in some sort of organised religions survive. Apparently, those who were obedient to the tribal shaman and observed religionus taboos were more likely to survive. Those skeptical were eliminated by natural selection.

Also, religions will survive because pople do not like to think for themselves. There must be something to it - otherwise how come people who must know that Bible is not inerrant, still cling to the whole irrationality of it?
Bible tells falsehoods, scientific falsehoods, and yet a substantial percentage of people still literally believe in that, flood, Adam and Eve and flat Earth. Thank goodness for the recent ruling of this brave American judge to bann intelligent design from that school (forgot which state it was), because he saw what it is - a religious doctrine cleverly disguised as "science".

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size