Chefelf.com Night Life: Conquering Tatooine - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Conquering Tatooine Why not the fatherland, Vader?

#1 User is offline   georgelucas4greedo Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:24 PM

You know what really makes no sense to me, why would Vader not conquer his home world of Tatooine? Hitler did, when he annexed Austria.

This just makes me realize that if Lucas actually paralleled our world's conflicts in his stories the PT would be alot more interesting. Alas............
It seems like everyone is over the nitpicking. Too bad.

#2 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:07 PM

Stop making so much sense! What's wrong with you! tongue.gif

#3 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:41 AM

And here I was thinking that Tatooine was a part of the Galactic Empire... well, then again: I'm no Star Wars geek...

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#4 User is offline   Jedi_1138 Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Mythology, Fantasy, Martial Arts, Aikido, Kenjutsu, BtVS, Angel, CSI

Posted 04 May 2006 - 02:30 PM

Oh, well...who know's? Maybe we're going to see some scene in the upcoming TV show? I can picture this allready...
EXT. BALCONY (where Jabba starts the race in TPM)
VADER
You know Tarkin, I had totally forgotten how beautiful the sand of my homeworld is...and it is anywhere!
TARKIN
Yes, Lord Vader...

tongue.gif

Oh, and according to the SW Database Tatooine actually isn't a part of the Empire. Wich raises the question, why there are so much Stromtroopers to be seen in the first movie. Untill Lucas changes that too and replaces them with more cartoon ailens, that is.

#5 User is offline   miladyblue Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Post icon  Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:40 AM

What resources could Vader have come up with from the conquest of Tatooine?

1. Gotten control of a major organized crime base - The Hutts and other syndicates might have been willing to pay handsomely for the Empire to look the other way and that could have funded the Imperial fleet and many other expenditures.

2. Mineral resources - maybe there is more to that planet than moisture vaporators, sand and criminals? Nothing was ever discussed about this, but there might have been a valuable natural resource that could have been exploited.

3. Sand People - strong, violent, trained warriors would probably have been better recruits than those dipshit Jango Fett clones. The Empire didn't worry too terribly much about civilized constraints when dealing with insurrection, so why not?

4. Strategic value - not only for the flow of information from the Hutts and other criminal syndicates, but this could also have been a great way to have a foothold in the outer rim and keep an eye on any unusual activity on the part of the rebels or any other potential threats.

5. Personal vengeance - of course, Anakin was not noted for his grasp of subtleties, so he probably would have committed genocide against the Sand People and done Watto in. Of course, it might have been fun watching him do in Watto with his "Force proof head".

This post has been edited by miladyblue: 18 July 2006 - 04:40 AM

#6 User is offline   georgelucas4greedo Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:00 PM

This all begs the question: How does the Empire work anyway?

Are they idealogues?
Are they idealists?
Are they racists?
Are they totalatarian?
How do they recruit?
How do they mantain morale?
How do they mantain order, sans Death Star?

All interesting stuff that the PT couldve answered with an older sick.gif "Annie" in TPM.

#7 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:38 PM

Using what we see onscreen in ANH as a source for possible answers, Vader wasn'tin a position to do so because during the Death Star conference scene, the other Imperials and Tarkin outrank him. At best, he's the Emperor's Special Representative during that scene and not #2, a henchman dispatched to take care of special tasks. This, of course changes when the whole gang is eliminated by the Death Star blowing up.

Vader has no practical motive for wrestling control of Tattooine since nobody he cares for is there. He seemed to like Wattoo in TPM (which I find odd, but its there onscreen and when he sees him in ATOC, he's not angry at him).

In short, Tattooine was a big tan nothing that he sure as heck wouldn't be in a hurry to go back to. Maybe his being entombed in the Vader suit didn't make things easier for a possible visit to his Mom's grave, and I'm sure the shame at what he became would have made such a visit all the less unlikely to occur.

#8 User is offline   MyPantsAreOnFire Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2006 - 10:27 PM

You can sum it up in one word...

Sand.

"HE HATES THIS SAND!!!"

#9 User is offline   miladyblue Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:54 PM

You can sum it up in one word...

Sand.

"HE HATES THIS SAND!!!"

So, what, he could not use the Mega-Maid's suck function to get rid of all the sand, after conquering the Spaceballs?

I would love to see Dark Helmet and the Schwartz take on Anakin "The mannequin" Skywalker and the Force.

#10 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE (miladyblue @ Jul 25 2006, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anakin "The mannequin" Skywalker

that's great... i'm going to yell that untill i'm miladyblue in the face!

#11 User is offline   Sieve Boy Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Interests:Hockey, Subaru

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE (Jedi_1138 @ May 4 2006, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, and according to the SW Database Tatooine actually isn't a part of the Empire. Wich raises the question, why there are so much Stromtroopers to be seen in the first movie.

Uh... I believe those Imperials were looking for C-3PO and R2-D2, which was the entire premise of the ANH plot up until the crew leaves Tatooine wink.gif

#12 User is offline   MyPantsAreOnFire Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE (Sieve Boy @ Jul 27 2006, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Uh... I believe those Imperials were looking for C-3PO and R2-D2, which was the entire premise of the ANH plot up until the crew leaves Tatooine wink.gif

Did they come down from the ship? As filthy as they looked and since they had no problem riding the local lizards, I figured they were the lucky losers stationed there. I always assumed their snazzy orange shoulder pads somehow made them "sandtroopers" or some other such bullshit.

I just like the idea of the guys up on Vader's ship scoffing at the idea of going down to such a craphole and dumping the job on the local 'trooper-school rejects. "Look sir, droids" indeed...great work, Lieutenant "No Shit" Sherlock! Report to Captain Obvious, ASAP!

#13 User is offline   miladyblue Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:49 AM

I just like the idea of the guys up on Vader's ship scoffing at the idea of going down to such a craphole and dumping the job on the local 'trooper-school rejects. "Look sir, droids" indeed...great work, Lieutenant "No Shit" Sherlock! Report to Captain Obvious, ASAP!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#14 User is offline   georgelucas4greedo Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:09 AM

QUOTE (MyPantsAreOnFire @ Jul 27 2006, 12:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did they come down from the ship? As filthy as they looked and since they had no problem riding the local lizards, I figured they were the lucky losers stationed there. I always assumed their snazzy orange shoulder pads somehow made them "sandtroopers" or some other such bullshit.

Maybe they landed their ship at a local spaceport, perhaps Mos Eisely and then purchased a couple of Dewbacks.

#15 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE (georgelucas4greedo @ Jul 27 2006, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe they landed their ship at a local spaceport, perhaps Mos Eisely and then purchased a couple of Dewbacks.

The super special edition has a shot of them Mountin' Dewbacks. (General Hunch).

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size